According to the dictionary creativity is…
the use of the imagination or original ideas, esp. in the production of an artistic work
In many ways, creativity depends on a variety of things like knowledge, technical skills, talent, and hinges on the ability to push through dry spells. For me creativity is a continuous process; a process that requires bringing ideas into the world through writing, photography, and connecting with others.
Why is creativity important?
Psychologist and author Mihalyi Csikszentmihalyi argues that we can find happiness through creativity. He discusses two powerful creative motivations. First is the ability to enjoy being creative for the sake of exploration and invention. The second motivation is focused on pleasure and comfort. Csikszentmihalyi says balancing these motivations can enhance our creative capacity and bring us happiness.
Is your muse missing in action?
It's easy to fall into creative slumps. But it's important to trust yourself and work through creative dry spells. In The War of Art, Steven Pressfield said:
The muse honors the working stiff.
So when you're muse is missing don't fret. Use the tips below to capture your creative ideas.
1. Take a leisurely bike ride, walk or run. (Logan says this is my answer to all life's problems). :)
2. Be part of the education revolution.
4. Free write or draw in your journal. Writing doesn't have to be a linear process.
6. Create time and space to practice yoga.
10. Change your surroundings.
11. Enjoy a cup of coffee or tea.
12. If something sparks your interest explore the topic.
13. To keep enjoying something, increase its complexity.
14. Learn a craft like knitting or scrap booking.
16. Think positively.
17. Learn to say no.
18. Be willing to reinvent yourself.
19. Have a meal with friends and family. Talk about your projects, set-backs, and fears.
20. Go vagabonding!
22. Read, read, and then read some more.