I finally purchased Leo Babauta's eBook, The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life and it was worth every penny. I can't wait to read it again. Every chapter contains valuable tips and tools to lead a minimalist lifestyle.
Leo inspired me to make a number of habit changes and I'll be doing a series of posts on this topic.
The first change I made was creating a minimalist computer by...
1. Decluttering my desktop.
All of the extra stuff on my desktop has been placed into a few minimal file folders.
This isn't an earth shattering idea. But how many of you have computer files you can't locate? Files that are hanging out on your desktop or in random folders? And then spend way too much time looking for certain documents?
Then again, I might be a lone ranger and the only one with this problem.
2. Changing my filing system.
Rather than having 20 folders in My Documents, now I have 4! They include...
- Work: Just like it says, the folder is for stuff I'm currently working on.
- Read: The reading folder is for reading materials, like ebooks and articles.
- Finances: My finance folder stores all our financial data.
- Archive: The archive folder is for all my other stuff. I'll be cleaning out my work, reading and finance folders daily and weekly. All the extra stuff will land in the archive section. :)
Now I don't have to spend so much time searching for stuff and creating new folders. This is a perfect, simple solution.
I loved Leo's book so much that I decided to participate in his affiliate sales program. If you purchase this book I'll receive 50% of the sale price. So you'll be supporting RowdyKittens as well as Zen Habits and Mnmlist.
Thanks in advance for your kindness and generosity. Your support helps keep this blog going. :)