On Sleep Deprivation: Part Two

My brain is mush, and I’m exhausted.

My cats, Christie and Elaina, continue to meow throughout the night. The of lack of sleep isn’t helping my disposition or my ability to get work done. I feel like I’m walking through quicksand, and my brain is tingling. Yesterday morning, I was so tired that I started crying. I have a good life, and I shouldn’t be crying on a Tuesday morning.

As a result, I reread parts of Thomas McNamee’s bookThe Inner Life of Cats. The book led me to Jackson Galaxy—who seems to be a modern day cat whisper.

After exploring Galaxy’s website, I watched his video Train Your Cat To Let You Sleep. It was helpful and some of the tips he mentioned—like putting my cats on a feeding schedule—were recommended by my vet.

At the end of the video, Galaxy offered viewers the following homework assignments:

1. Change your cat from a free-feeder to a meal feeder.

2. Feed in conjunction with play.

3. Merge your cat’s energy with your energy.

I’ll be working on these homework assignments for the next few weeks.

Also, we ordered Elaina a cat water fountain because she has trouble drinking from a bowl. I’m also going to buy custom-made earplugs. I have issues with earplugs, but that’s a whole other story!

I’m hopeful the new feeding regime and kitty playtime will result and in happy cats and happy humans. I want my energy back, and I want to avoid crying in the morning.

With gratitude,

PS: Here’s a list of related articles and resources:

10 comments… add one
  • René February 21, 2018, 5:38 am

I’m so sorry. As a lifelong insomniac, you have my sympathies. I bought a kit off Amazon to make your own molded ear plugs. I can’t wear regular earplugs, but these work well for me.

Also, the way I train my cats to let me sleep at night is pretty simple. If they are keeping me up at night then I don’t let them nap during the day. If I see them napping I pick them up until they’re standing on all four feet. My cats are allowed to free feed and they do get up at night but they no longer meow.

If they are meowing in my face in the morning while I’m still in bed I give them a quick pat on their snout. It’s not a smack, is not meant to hurt, it will only startle them mid-meow. My morning meower now sits quietly on the bed until I sit up before she begins her serenade.

Despite what people think, cats are highly trainable. They are very clever and catch on quickly. Meowing is a behavior they only do to interact with humans. How you respond to it will train them how to communicate.

• Tammy Strobel February 21, 2018, 8:41 am

Thanks René! I’m sorry to hear about your insomnia. That must be so hard!

I’ll try the tips you mentioned. 🙂 As an aside, Thomas McNamee mentioned the nose pat trick in his book, and how cats communicate with humans by meowing. The research and stories he reviewed were fascinating. I think you’d like his book.

• Christy King February 21, 2018, 8:34 am

They make feeders with timers that you can use for wet food (there are ice packs under the “bowl” portion). Maybe that would help?

• Tammy Strobel February 21, 2018, 8:42 am

I’ll look into that option; that feeder could be great for Elaina. 🙂

• Cathy McCabe February 21, 2018, 9:05 am

I LOVE Jackson Galaxy. I just finished re-reading Total Cat Mojo. My cats have always been pretty happy cats, but after applying his advice, we’ve been able to control the midnight crazies, 4 am wake up calls (mostly) and much of the redirected aggression from being strictly inside cats. I am excited to read Thomas McNamee’s work too. Hope you get some sleep soon!

• Tammy Strobel February 21, 2018, 2:51 pm

Thanks Cathy! I’ve heard great things about Total Cat Mojo. You’re the third person who’s mentioned the book to me. I gotta order it. It’s awesome that Galaxy’s method’s worked for your kittens. xoxo.

• Sara February 21, 2018, 9:24 am

It is so hard when your sleep in interrupted! My 7 month old daughter is sleeping through the night now, but my dog started waking up due to illness. She is on the mend now, so I need to train her not to go out at 4:30 AM. I hope that things go well with your cats!

• Tammy Strobel February 21, 2018, 2:50 pm

Good luck Sara! I’m glad your daughter is sleeping through the night. I hope you can get your dog trained up too! xoxo.

• Heather February 22, 2018, 4:37 am

I have some memory foam earplugs called Quies, they feel quite soft and are definitely different to others I have tried. All the best. x