On Sleep Deprivation: Part One

Last week, I shared the following news with my patrons:

Elaina rebounded after her surgery and cancer diagnosis. She’s eating wet food and drinking water from the faucet. Sadly, she can’t eat kibble, treats, and has trouble drinking water from a bowl. The vet suspects that Elaina’s teeth could be sore because of the cancer or she has nerve damage from the removal of the tumor on her tongue. Thankfully, I work from home and can feed and water Elaina all the time. She’s alert, happy, and she’s sleeping with me at night; all good signs. Our hospice plan seems to be working!

I forgot to mention in my note that Elaina has been waking me up 2 to 5 times every night since her surgery. When she wakes me, I get up and give her food or water. Logan sleeps through the meowing and dish clanking (most of the time). I’m jealous of his ability to sleep deeply! Since Elaina can’t eat kibble, she’s been feasting on wet food at all hours!

Also, Logan is recovering from a cold, so between Elaina’s meowing and Logan’s nightly coughing fits, I’m worn down and grumpy. Sleep deprivation is not good for my body or mind!

Usually, when I’m tired, a long walk or CrossFit recharges my energy. Other times, like today, slow activities are better for my body and mind. I won’t be taking an epic hike today. Instead, I perused my landscape photo archive because it’s a mood booster. I also foresee a lunchtime nap in my future.

If you’re having trouble sleeping, I recommend reading Arianna Huffington’s book, The Sleep Revolution because it’s filled with helpful information. Also, if expansive landscape photos help you relax, here’s a roundup of my favorite shots.

Make it a great day!

With gratitude,

11 comments… add one
  • Gerdien Arts February 14, 2018, 4:46 am

Thank you for all the beautiful shots you sent, Tammy.
    You’re a true lover of nature and life, it shines through in every picture you make.
    And your care for Elaina especially now that she’s so ill touches my heart.
    Keep it up, girl!
    Greetings from Holland,
    Gerdien

• Tammy Strobel February 14, 2018, 8:43 am

Thank you for the sweet comment Gerdien! I appreciate it. 🙂

• CA February 14, 2018, 6:36 am

I just borrowed “Why We Sleep”from my local library. This is an issue that is near and dear to my heart – medical school can be quite an exercise in sleep deprivation (all while you are learning how bad sleep deprivation can be for you). Rest well!

• Tammy Strobel February 14, 2018, 8:43 am

Thanks for the book tip! I’ll check it out. I hope you get some rest, too. xoxo.

• Cathy McCabe February 14, 2018, 9:29 am

I feel you! We switched our cats to wet food and scheduled feeding last night, and our little ninja was having none of it at 3:30 this morning. Between my hubby’s snoring, peckish cats, my sister’s pending baby and night owl roommates, I’m running strictly on Don Francisco and Nutpods today!

• Tammy Strobel February 14, 2018, 1:04 pm

Good luck Cathy! I emphasize. I’m high on coffee today. Hopefully our little ninjas will calm down and I’ll get more sleep tonight. Take care of yourself. xoxo.

• Rebecca February 14, 2018, 11:26 am

I am glad that Elaina is dong better and is at least eating and drinking. Maybe giving her more wet cat food might help curb those midnight cravings of hers.
    Thanks for the book suggestion I need all the help I can get.

I too will be in France but, sadly will miss you by a couple of weeks. It will be my and my daughters first trip outside the US. We are actually giddy with excitement and cant wait for summer to get here. Have fun and dont forget to grab some fresh pastries and bread while you are there. I might need an extra ticket since I will be eating so good. LOL.

• Tammy Strobel February 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Rebecca — I’m so excited for you! We took our first trip outside the states last summer and it was so much fun! I plan to eat all the food in Paris, so I might need an extra ticket too. 😉

We’ll give Elaina more wet food today. Maybe that will do the trick.

Thanks for reading and have a blast in France! Catch ya next time. 🙂

• Amy Goodwin February 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

I hear ya. I’m having workmen at my house for some needed renovation and the cats are very unsettled. Therefore they are waking me up at weird hours.
    Thanks for the book reference. I’ll take a look!
    I’m so glad your furry kid is doing better.

• Diane February 15, 2018, 4:20 am

Thank you for your daily writing! I am a long-time reader (and have purchased your first book) and I love your photos.
    I’ve nursed a number of cats and a beloved dog through the end of their days. It’s wonderful and hard at the same time. You’re giving Elaina wonderful end-of-life care!

• Tammy Strobel February 15, 2018, 9:10 am

Thank you for reading and for the kind words! 🙂