Everything With Heart

Photo by Tammy Strobel

On Wednesday, I exchanged Elaina’s weight reduction food for one of her new favorite’s—Hill’s Urgent Care A/D with chicken—at my veterinarian’s office. At this point, Elaina can have anything she’d like to eat because the cancer can’t be cured. The nice thing about buying cat food from my vet is that I can swap it for a different flavor or they will credit my account if the girls don’t like it.

I also showed the vet a photo of the food we bought at Tractor Supply for Elaina and asked if Christie could have some. Other than a few bites, Christie can’t have any kitty crack (like Friskies and Fancy Feast) because it’s bad for her kidneys.

On my drive home from the vet’s office, I was thinking about Elaina—she’s on my mind constantly. When I parked my car, a brown box on my front step caught my attention. The package was covered in flowers and the words “Everything With Heart” stood out.

I was curious about the parcel, and so were the cats. As soon as I set the box on the floor, they started sniffing it. I got some scissors, opened the box, and when I read the note inside happy tears streamed down my face.

My cat lady crew sent me a beautiful bouquet (made by Farm Girl Flowers)! Since Elaina’s diagnosis, I’ve been sharing updates about Elaina with my girlfriends. I adore these ladies, and I feel fortunate to have such thoughtful, supportive friends.

I’ll leave you with a photo roundup of the flowers, and be sure to check out Farm Girl Flowers online. The company’s mission is inspiring!

With gratitude,

14 comments… add one
  • Jane Thebo February 1, 2018, 5:29 am

Love and hugs from Iowa.
    Kindness matters.

• Denise Clark February 1, 2018, 8:55 am

Hugs and love from Victoria, BC Canada

• Tammy Strobel February 1, 2018, 9:19 am

Sending hugs back! Thank you. xoxo.

• Maureen February 1, 2018, 9:26 am

Brought my 18 year old to be with me when he was getting ready to leave us. It was hard, very hard but I knew he was surrounded by love when he left us
    Hugs, many hugs and love from across the country.

• Ginny February 1, 2018, 10:03 am

So good to have friends who really care!

• Rebecca February 1, 2018, 10:57 am

Wow I had no idea Elaina she has cancer! I am so sorry to hear that there is no cure. I had a cat that had a brain tumor. I took him to the vet but, the only thing the vet told me was to keep him as comfortable as possible and when he stopped eating or drinking then it was time to let him go. So sad for us both. Elaina seems to be doing very cat like things and I am glad you got the flowers. Hugs to you all!

• Tammy Strobel February 1, 2018, 2:11 pm

Thank you Rebecca! She was just diagnosed last week. I’m sorry to hear about your kitty. xoxo.

• RuthAnn Steuber February 1, 2018, 12:17 pm

Tammy, my beloved best-friend kitties lived to be 18, brothers TL(for tail-less) and Mikey that I rescued as kittens (though it was they that rescued me) filled my heart and home and life for all those years. They provided warmth and comfort as I healed from a life-threatening illness. They traveled with me everywhere and eventually moved cross country with me. They, however, always remained “California cats”, preferring to avoid winter cold, staying inside by the fire till spring brought warm sun. Mikey eventually sucumed to cancer and when he took to staying in my closet and no longer would eat I called our vet to come out and help; though it might have been the hardest thing I’ve ever done. TL developed congestive heart failure and when treatment failed, he eventually died in my arms. I have since adopted other kitties, but i understand how you feel and how you want to provide your sweet kitty with every good thing and so much love. your friends were wonderful to send the package, and it feels great, doesn’t it, that others reach out when you need it the most, Sending love and prayers from this kitty lover, will hold you in my heart as you travel this journey. RuthAnn

• Tammy Strobel February 1, 2018, 2:10 pm

Thanks for sharing RuthAnn! I appreciate the extra love and hugs!

I’m grateful for my cat lady crew. They are the best! xoxo.

• Adam February 1, 2018, 1:48 pm

That is such a wonderful sentiment from your friends!
    I am sending loads of compassion and strength to you both, and your kitties.
    We just said farewell to our 13.5 year old black lab in December. We’ve been doing our best to celebrate her wonderful life these past weeks to combat the huge void in our small townhouse. She leaves us with one dog and our cat, Q, who have both also been profoundly impacted by her departure. On a happy note, Baylee was only a 6mo old puppy when I met my (now) wife, so I wound up with a girlfriend and an amazing dog!
    Hugs,
    Adam

• Tammy Strobel February 1, 2018, 2:09 pm

Indeed! I’m so grateful for my girlfriends. I’m sorry to hear about your lab! That’s so sad. Sending you hugs. 🙂

• Maitri Libellule February 1, 2018, 4:19 pm

Oh the flowers are just gorgeous! I’m so happy you got them! 🙂

• Brenda February 2, 2018, 5:07 am

Thanks for sharing these lovely photos Tammy. Hoping you are enjoying the time with Elaina. We have
    gained and lost many fur friends in 37 years of marriage and they are all stamped on our hearts. <3