7 Bits of News: From Cats to Courses

Photo by Tammy Strobel

Today, I have news to share, along with a photo roundup!

1. Last Friday, I took an unexpected trip to the vet. On Thursday, my cat Elaina wasn’t eating, drinking water, or meowing at me. Plus, her tail was down. So I called our veterinarian and made an appointment to get her checked. Unfortunately, Elaina had an abscessed anal gland, and the vet did surgery immediately. Also, our vet found a large mass on Elaina’s tongue, removed it, and stitched it up. The mass was sent in for a biopsy, and we’ll get the results later this week. Thankfully the surgery went well!

During the cat saga on Friday, I updated my writing buddy on my daily word count, and she said, “…try and think of it as material. Store it all up for a follow-up essay on how your cats tanked your 50% savings goals. *hugs*”

That comment made laugh out loud, and I needed a good laugh on Friday! We won’t save 50% of our income this month (more like 20%) due to a large vet bill. However, the year isn’t over and we’re determined to save as much as possible.

2. In May, CrossFit Northern Limits (my local gym) is hosting a competition, and I signed up! If you’re a CrossFitter and live in Northern California, register for the event or come out and cheer everyone on!

3. Recently, I read a few articles about the grayscale setting on the iPhone, so I decided to experiment with the feature. It’s easy to set up! In Change Your Screen to Grayscale to Combat Phone Addiction, Melissa Kirsch explained, “To easily toggle between color and grayscale, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Accessibility Shortcut > Color Filters. Now, you just press the home button three times to enable grayscale. Triple-click again to go back to color.”

4. I’ve been using Adobe Lightroom to edit my photos for roughly five years. However, I’m frustrated with Lightroom because it runs slow on my five-year-old laptop. However, I don’t want to buy a new computer because Lightroom is slow! Also, I don’t use all the features offered in Lightroom, so I started researching alternatives. I discovered a photo editor called Luminar 2018, and I love the simplicity of the program. I might ditch Lightroom and go with Luminar. I’ll keep you posted!

5. And speaking of photography, I’m going to start sharing more photo essays on the blog! I hope these images inspire you to go on everyday adventures!

6. You can register for A Simple Year until January 31, 2018! Visit the site to learn about the monthly topics, course contributors, and more. Also, Courtney Carver—the program founder—is hosting a free webinar about A Simple Year on Wednesday, January 24, 2018. I highly recommend attending; especially if you have questions about the course.

7. I’ll leave you with some of my favorite Elaina photos from 2017. She is a beautiful, loving cat, and I hate seeing her ill. She goes in for another follow-up appointment on Friday. In the meantime, I’ll keep a close eye on her. Please send Elaina healing vibes.

With gratitude,

• Kristine Dubuque Ortega January 23, 2018, 8:28 am

Sending well wishes to your beautiful furry! They do make our house a home, For Certain! Enjoying your newsletters and blog ~Kristine Xx

• Annie January 23, 2018, 8:51 am

Here’s wishing Elaina will recover quickly and completely. I will do a special loving kindness meditation tonight for her as well as you and Logan. (I have a soft spot for animals, especially kitties! Your Elaina reminds me of my late Mimi.)

Looking forward to the new photos. I always enjoy your photo essays, they brighten my day.

• Tammy Strobel January 23, 2018, 11:11 am

Thank you Annie! That is so kind! xoxo.

• Linda Walker January 23, 2018, 8:55 am

Love the photos of Elaina!!! Hope she is feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed again real soon….

• Denise Clark January 23, 2018, 9:29 am

Love your blog. Hope all goes well with the fur baby. I know how precious they are. We currently have just one, Katie Kat, and she is very precious to us.

• Karen Moore January 23, 2018, 10:43 am

Sending healing vibes to your beautiful girl & big love to you both. xx

• Rebecca January 23, 2018, 11:14 am

What a cutie. I hope everything goes well. I will be sending healing vibes her way. Keep us all posted. Sorry about the vet bill but, better to save something instead of nothing. Take care.

• Tammy Strobel January 23, 2018, 11:16 am

Thank you! Don’t be sorry. 🙂 I’m grateful we have the resources to take care of Elaina. She’s worth every penny! xoxo.

• Ula Archer January 23, 2018, 1:05 pm

Tammy, I want to thank you for researching and sharing information about problems with the modern technology. I try to live simpler, more conscious, according to my values, like probably most of your readers. Now I have only a few apps on my phone but it’s still “too attractive” and I use it too often for not so important things. What’s really important to me are messages and Evernote for quickly writing down my ideas. So now it’s in grayscale 🙂
    I’m sending love to Elaina!

• Tammy Strobel January 23, 2018, 4:15 pm

Hi Ula! You’re welcome! Thank you for reading, and I’m with you! The grayscale feature is so cool! And thanks for sending love to my sweet cat. xoxo.

• Penelope Morrison January 23, 2018, 5:00 pm

Just sending healing energy
    To Elaina. Our cats are very precious to us. I have Murphy. He’s tiger striped and so handsome. Have followed your journey for years. I enjoy your sharing, I think of you as an old friend.

• Fran January 26, 2018, 4:25 am

I am sending healing wishes to Elaina. The photos of her are beautiful, as are all your photos. I find them inspiring and I love your sentiments and the things you write about. Thank you for sharing.