March Happy Links: A Homemade Life

{This month: A Homemade Life, The Case Against Sugar, hygge, happiness, and more.}

Photo by Tammy Strobel

Hi all,

Below are 10 happy links that inspired me this month. I hope you enjoy them, too!

1. A Homemade Life—Molly Wizenberg’s book is beautiful. It’s filled with gorgeous prose and mouth watering recipes. In early March, I made Molly’s coconut macaroons with chocolate ganache. They turned out so good! I don’t keep many books these days, but A Homemade Life has a permanent home on my tiny bookshelf.

2The Case Against Sugar— Gary Taubes’s book is research heavy, but it is so GOOD!

3. The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy LivingThere are awesome ideas in this little book and so many connections to living simply & joyfully. Also, the author is the CEO of The Happiness Research Institute. If you’re interested in hygge or happiness research, check out Meik’s work.

4. And speaking of happiness, Norway is the happiest country on earth.

5. Have you read Rachel Macy Stafford’s book Only Love Today? It’s filled with doses of encouragement and inspiration. I really enjoyed it.

6. Living Beautifully on $25-27K Per Year—I’ve been thinking about mindful budgeting all year, and Tim Ferriss’s interview with Mr. Money Mustache was excellent. Also, his interviews with Krista Tippett and Dr. Phil Zimbardo were enlightening.

7. How to Be A Person in the World—I’m in love with Heather Havrilesky’s writing. I highly recommend reading her weekly column and book.

8. Treating Yourself is Not the Answer—a beautiful and brave post by Cait.

9. The Wisdom of Nokia’s Dumbphone—this article made me think about getting a dumb phone again.

10. Discover Siskiyou—a beautiful new website featuring Siskiyou County. Come visit friends!

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed my link roundup, please share this post with a friend.

With gratitude,

P. S. I’m releasing something special soon! Details here.

• Paul Richard March 27, 2017, 8:20 am

You should check out “The Year of Living Danishly” by Helen Russell.

• Tammy Strobel March 27, 2017, 9:04 am

I read The Year of Living Danishly a few months ago. I loved it! 😉

• Bette March 27, 2017, 3:05 pm

I love The Homemade Life and I, too, have it in a permanent place of honor in my home. Some other food-related favorites you might like — Laurie Colwin’s Home Cooking and More Home Cooking (or anything by Laurie Colwin, for that matter) — Poor Man’s Feast by Elissa Altman — and The Feast Nearby by Robin Mather.

And LOL about Nokia. Believe it or not, I own and use a flip phone. Yes, I do. And I’m not a technophobe, although I AM the same person who recommended a pad of paper for tracking finances, haha. No, I use all manner of technology at work, including laptop, smart phone, VPN, etc. However, for my own personal use, I absolutely love my little dumb phone. It holds a charge for a week, I’ve dropped it hundreds of times and it keeps on going, and it is just so darn cute. Glad to know I’m so out of date I’m coming back INTO date. 😉

• Tammy Strobel March 28, 2017, 7:45 am

Thanks for the book recommendations! Can’t wait to check them out.

Ohhh how I miss my little flip phone. It was bright green and so much fun. It had a pullout keyboard that rocked. 😉

Thanks for reading Bette!

• Jo Kneale March 28, 2017, 3:17 pm

I love hygge… so much so that’s what I blog and write about! I hated before Christmas when it was all throws and candles. Done properly hygge is about people and love. I also really recommend Bronte Aurell’s Essence of Hygge. Very goid & some excellent recipes!

• Tammy Strobel March 30, 2017, 6:53 am