Why I Bought a Standing Desk

Photo by Tammy Strobel

Logan wins the husband of the year award for assembling my new IKEA desk and for convincing me to buy one. In the photo above, you can see my cute desk and the structure on top of it. It’s called The Ready Desk.

The Ready Desk is portable, foldable, and I was able to adjust the desk based on my height. I love the portability of The Ready Desk. Plus, it’s light enough for me to remove from my IKEA desk, which enables me to sit at my desk to write, draw, or edit photos.

I resisted purchasing the IKEA desk and The Ready Desk because I prefer spending my extra money on good food, coffee, writing supplies, and travel. However, Logan argued that investing in a good standing desk was crucial for my health and productivity. Also, he pointed out that it’s a tool I use everyday. Logan was right. My prior set-up wasn’t working because the ergonomics were horrible. My new set-up is comfortable, inspiring, and it’s been great for my back. Standing more often forces me to focus on good posture, and I’m much more alert in the afternoons while I work.

In addition, my new desks didn’t cost a small fortune. The IKEA desk cost $144.97 and The Ready Desk cost $179.99. I spent a grand total of $324.96 on my new set-up.

As a bonus, The Ready Desk is made in San Diego and it’s “built by buddies.” Also, I was delighted with their customer service. One of The Ready Desk shelves arrived with a small crack, so I emailed customer support and they sent me a new shelf free of charge.

There are lots of regular desks and standing desks to choose from online and in stores. I opted to order both my desks online because it was easier for me. Plus, Logan and I have had great experiences with IKEA and I really like the philosophy behind The Ready Desk.

If you’re in the market for a new desk, I’d encourage you to consider:

• Your needs and wants
  • The durability of the desk you choose to buy
  • Your budget
  • The space that’s available for your desk in your house

The guidelines I mentioned above helped me choose a desk that works for my current circumstance.

What kind of desk do you work at every day? I’d love to hear from you!

With gratitude,

• Ken April 5, 2016, 10:05 am

Tammy, I have been using a standing desk for years and it is awesome! I also have a bar stool at the desk because too much of a good thing can still be too much. I am really happy I made the switch; it is so much better for my back and overall good feeling. Hope you have the same results!

• Tammy Strobel April 5, 2016, 10:27 am

Rad! That’s great to hear, Ken.

• Ann April 5, 2016, 12:33 pm

My desk is a corner desk with extensions on each side. The computer is in the triangle corner so I use the extension arm as the desk. I use a MacBook Pro connected to a 27-inch monitor that raised on a box to be at eye level. I would recommend you consider a task chair with lumbar support when you are sitting. I have a mesh chair (not the expensive one) with a neck rest and a lumbar support. It is very adjustable. I too have back issues and this chair made a big difference. I do not have back issues now after PT and good ergonomics.

• Tammy Strobel April 5, 2016, 12:38 pm

Thanks for the tip, Ann! I’ll check out the chair you mentioned. I’m happy to hear that you don’t have back issues anymore. Have a great day!

• Mel April 5, 2016, 1:13 pm

Love the idea of the standing desk but have no experience with them so far. I really like how flexible your setup is, with the portable Ready Desk. Thanks for sharing!

• Diane April 5, 2016, 3:04 pm

I can’t stand all day. I wanted to be able to quickly change from standing to sitting. I bought a wooden tray with folding legs, designed to hold my laptop when working in bed.

But I’ve don’t work in bed, instead I put the laptop on the tray and tray on my desk.

I unfold the legs when I work standing, and use the laptop keyboard.

I fold the legs and let the tray sit on the desk when I am sitting, and I use a full size keyboard on the desk. Slide out tray.

• Miranda April 5, 2016, 4:02 pm

I wanted a standing desk for work but had almost no budget. So I measured how high I needed it to be above my desk, then found a laptop desk at the right height for $15. Another $15 got me a wireless keyboard I keep under it for the times I sit. It has made an incredible difference, and my boss was impressed at how little I spent.

I’ve struggled to find a good setup at home for when I read. My arms get tired holding a book while standing for long periods.

• Brett April 5, 2016, 10:33 pm

Does the cute kitty come with the desks? Because that would certainly improve my work environment.

• Tammy Strobel April 6, 2016, 7:40 am

Sadly, the kitty wasn’t included. She came from a foster home and has improved my work life in so many ways! 😉

• Brid April 6, 2016, 5:18 am

My standing desk is like the poor little sister to yours: An Ikea BEKVÄM stepstool on top of the table I use as a desk. The laptop goes on top, small keyboard on the step, and wireless mouse on a small box beside it. Plus a foam mat for the cold floor. Perfect for a very poor grad student in a foreign country.

• Tammy Strobel April 6, 2016, 7:39 am

That sounds like a great set-up & super creative. 😉

• Becky April 13, 2016, 5:52 pm

this looks like a great answer Tammy! my brother has been using a stand desk for the last couple years. his is a chest of drawers with a laptop on top that just happens to be at about shoulder level. his switch from a sitting desk to his standing version was for health reasons also, tho not for his back. he wanted to decrease his sedentary hours. it worked! he says that the standing desk has helped him focus when he is online and not get distracted into unproductive areas. and because he is already standing he takes frequent breaks to walk around for a few minutes between tasks. in our fulltime rv lifestyle, we do sit for computer tasks but we eat almost all our meals inside the van standing beside the counter. we believe it has been part of the reason we have both lost weight in the almost 4 years we’ve been traveling. maybe the outdoors causes us to really relish each bite but we rarely “go back for seconds”. we enjoy eating more but eat less! I think like my brother’s experience, standing improves our focus & concentration!

• Tammy Strobel April 14, 2016, 8:29 am