Happy Links: From Syllabus to Real Life

Journals

{Every week, I share a roundup of happy links because these resources have inspired me to make positive changes in my life. I hope they motivate and inspire you, too! Enjoy.}

Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor by Lynda Barry is my new journaling companion. Barry’s book has given me dozens of ideas that I’ve used to enhance my daily journaling practice and how I record notes. For example, I’m taking more visual notes because it’s fun and the activity pushes me to see my life from a different angle.

I love the story behind this postcard set: Prickly Periscope Man.

The Desk is fun short film.

If you want to print your iPhone photos, read this and this.

Interesting essays: Think That I Shall Never See / A Password As Secure As … Poetry? and What If Your Real Self is Really Mad?

Great advice from my super smart sister-in-law: 5 Reasons You Should Have A Writing Partner.

Earlier this year, I met Lora at the tiny house conference. Recently, she sent me The Gratitude Diaries by Janice Kaplan. I can’t wait to dive into the book. Also, be sure to check out Lora’s website. It’s beautiful!

What happened to you? is a beautiful essay about change, self-reflection, and privacy by Hari Berzins.

YES! to this: Real life isn’t perfect.

With gratitude,

• Caroline McGraw November 13, 2015, 9:05 am

Tammy, just wanted to say thank you for including my story in this week’s happy links! Have a beautiful weekend!

• Tina Smith November 13, 2015, 9:32 am

Thank you for the link, Tammy!

• Laura November 14, 2015, 4:50 am

Hi Tammy,

I always enjoy your link lists (today’s favorite read was the link to Lora’s website), but especially your morning views! I wanted to ask: Is the beautiful nature you take pictures of so close to your house that you can walk or do you take your coffee cup to those beautiful places on a bike/in a car?
    Thanks for sharing so much!

• Tammy Strobel November 15, 2015, 12:11 pm

Hi Laura,

Most of the places I photograph are close to my home. Our tiny house is on my in-laws property and it’s a majestic place. We have a stunning view of Mt. Shasta. We’re living in town now, but the scenes are beautiful. Some of the places we drive too, though (I usually do that on the weekends). For example, Lake Siskiyou is about 45 minutes south of our home via car. In short, I live in a beautiful place. I hope that helps.

Best,

• Sean November 14, 2015, 5:43 pm

Tammy!

Thank you so much for the link to The Desk 🙂 Hope everything is going well in your world!

• Tammy Strobel November 15, 2015, 12:12 pm

For sure! I loved the film. We’re doing great and loving life in northern CA. I hope you’re doing good, too! 😉

• becky November 14, 2015, 8:14 pm

Tammy, thanks for your link to the Tiny House Teacher. Scrolling down thru some of her posts I found one about how spacious porta-potties and hotel rooms seem now after living for 10 months in her tiny house. too funny! and especially coincidental as my husband, dog and I have recently (due to health problems) moved out of our tiny RV (24 ft Winnebago View) and into a studio suite here in Rochester MN near the Mayo Clinic. We have a huge to us fridge! a double sink! two burner stove, too much cabinet space! a small table with 2 chairs, a 3 drawer small sized dresser with tv on top, a 4 ft long rack that serves as a closet, queen sized bed, love seat, coffee table and night stand. if anything the bathroom feels too large! This space (after 3.5 years in our much smaller View) seems luxuriously huge!! had we moved directly here 3 years ago from our 3bdrm/3bath home it might have felt small. it’s amazing how tinier living fundamentally shifts one’s perspective on “needs” and sizes required for “comfortable” living space. thanks again for your weekly links. I always enjoy them.

→ Next post: