≑ Menu

A Photo Essay: Castle Lake, CA

Photography by Tammy Strobel

A few weeks ago, I went on a solo adventure to take photographs of Castle Lake in Northern California. I found a trail that led me to a lookout above Castle Lake, and the views were incredible! Since this was a solo trip, I didn’t venture very far into the woods. I also have to visit Heart Lake before winter arrives. I’ve been told Heart Lake sits above Castle Lake, and that the views are rad.

The fall colors were popping at Castle Lake, the water was like glass, and taking photos with my new iPhone 6s Plus was awesome! The camera is fast, and I think the image quality is better than my last model. I rarely use my Nikon D5000 (my big camera) because my camera of choice is my iPhone.

I’ve been thinking of selling my Nikon or giving it to a family member; however, friends have encouraged me not to sell it. They say it’s a good camera, and I might want to use it again. It is a nice camera to have on hand, but I hate to see it collecting dust. Before I sell or give away my Nikon, I want to try using it again.

I’ll let you know what I decide to do with my big camera. In the meantime, enjoy my iPhone 6s Plus photos. Wishing you an adventure-filled week!

Processed with VSCOcam with s3 Photography by Tammy Strobel

With gratitude,

• Lanette mumford November 3, 2015, 6:33 am

Tammy, the photo of the pine needle covered trail is beautiful. I want to jump into that picture and start walking.

• Annie November 3, 2015, 6:36 am

Hi Tammy,
    Thank you for sharing these photos. I was having a stressful, anxiety-ridden morning and they helped to calm me down. I always enjoy your photo essays as they remind me to get out and appreciate nature more often.

Also, I received my calendar last week and I love it! Makes me wish it was January 1st already.

Cheers!

• Tammy Strobel November 3, 2015, 12:46 pm

I’m happy the calendar arrived and I’m thrilled you love it! Thank you. πŸ™‚ Also, I hope your day got a little better.

• Brenda November 3, 2015, 6:56 am

Great photos Tammy. Thanks for sharing.

• Marla November 3, 2015, 7:18 am

Lovely. Makes me want to go…

• Marjorie Cooper November 3, 2015, 8:21 am

Tammy the photos are breathtaking!
    You always inspire me to take more photos of the moments and things I love!
    Thank-you for your gift of sharing!

• Linda Luke November 3, 2015, 12:03 pm

Beautiful pics. They take my breath away and call out the part of me who loves to sit in nature’s beauty. Thank you.

• Miranda November 3, 2015, 12:54 pm

I sold my “real” camera after getting a smartphone this summer. It did take better photos, but it’s so much easier to use the camera I have with me every day.

I used to hold on to good things, just in case, but no more. I don’t like to keep things sitting, unused. I don’t like the energy of it. Clearing things out that no longer fit my life makes room for something else to come in. I recommend it to everyone.

• Tammy Strobel November 4, 2015, 8:26 am

Fantastic advice! I’ve given away a lot of stuff since we started simplifying our lives, but I have hard time letting go of certain belongings (the camera is a good example of that). Thanks for reading!

• Betsy November 4, 2015, 11:58 am

Miranda, I feel the same way. I just got rid of one of my good cameras. It still ‘hurts’ but I felt like it was wasting away! It was a very hard decision! At the same time, I was no longer using it anymore. I kept it ‘just in case’. Every time I went out for a drive my mind would be cluttered with WHICH camera to take (I still have another camera too…besides my phone). Once driving around, I would almost always end up using my phone. It just has much better exposures. I am thinking of using only my iPhone 5 for ALL my photos now. I already use it exclusively for scenics. I am now finding my regular cameras to be too bulky and too much trouble. Then when I get home I have to download them onto my laptop before I can share them. Sometimes they need editing and that takes time…plus the new software is hard to learn. With my iPhone 5 I have everything I need right there, user friendly too…and I can be sharing my great photos in seconds! I’m thinking of upgrading to the iPhone 6 Plus next πŸ™‚

• Mike November 3, 2015, 7:52 pm

Tammy very beautiful photos I to like my iPhone camera but it’s just a point and shoot !!!! But there are is so much that my Sony a7II can do that the iPhone can not do !!!! I would never sell my good camera.

• Christa from Australia November 3, 2015, 10:31 pm

Awesome photos. What a beautiful area.

• Susan November 4, 2015, 8:02 am

Spectacular!

• Lynn Overman November 4, 2015, 1:00 pm

I take so many more photos with my iPhone that I ever would with my Canon. I just wish there was a way to enlarge the phone photos. I’m sure there probably is, I’ll do my research!

• Sarah November 5, 2015, 3:10 pm

I struggled with the size thing too – I take photos on my ‘good’ camera if I think I’ll want to print them… an arrangement which never works in practice; I end up taking pics on my phone and wishing I could enlarge them. Tammy I’d love to hear if you do enlarge/print your phone photos – any tips?

• Tammy Strobel November 7, 2015, 10:00 am

When I send my iPhone photos to a printer, I use the highest resolution image possible. I’ve had great experiences printing the images with a variety of online services and I was happy with how my photography book came out, too! πŸ˜‰ I’ll look for some articles on this topic and link to them next week.

• DarrenKeith November 5, 2015, 3:49 am

You’re making me need to take a photo walk through our downtown with my LG G4. Cool photos. Keep ’em coming. πŸ™‚

• pete November 11, 2015, 5:11 pm

I love your photos and dispatches from Shasta. I have been visiting from my hometown of San Francisco for the better part of 20 years. Shasta is magical.
    …In July my son and I drove up to Panther Meadows, found a patch of snow way up the mountain and had a snowfight.

I found you through the tiny home network.
    thanks,