A Photo Tour of Our New Home

living room

Our tiny apartment is starting to feel like home. Getting a few reading lamps and hanging art on the walls really perked up the space. We feel good about our decision to turn the tiny house into a personal vacation cabin because living in town is so much easier. Logan can bike to the office, and when Logan has the car, I don’t feel stranded or isolated because I can get around town by bike or by foot.

Thankfully, we haven’t purchased very many things because we stored select items in Logan’s office and in my in-laws garage after our last move. I’ll share additional thoughts about the stuff we’ve acquired and our experience upsizing from 128 to 400 sq-ft sometime in November.

If you haven’t heard about our recent move into town, read the story over here.

Enjoy the photo tour of our abode!

With gratitude,

• Wanda October 26, 2015, 6:14 pm

Being a fellow cat owner I am curious how you handle them in your present space. Do you use some sort of screen to have them from being so obvious or a curtain?

• Tammy Strobel October 27, 2015, 8:38 am

Hi Wanda, the cats are doing great in the apartment. They sleep most of the day and the cats don’t go outside. The street near our place is too busy. I’m not sure what you meant by the “curtain” comment. Have a great day!

• Clara October 26, 2015, 7:02 pm

The banner above your bed is my favorite!!!

• Candice October 26, 2015, 7:23 pm

I am so glad I logged in and caught this tonight. I love that you shared your new home. It is so nice and refreshing to see a beautiful and cozy home that looks LIKE SOMEONE ACTUALLY LIVES THERE! 🙂 I mean that as a huge compliment! Your cute little place looks great! It is also very inspirational to me. Thank you again for sharing such wonderful photos.

• nancy faith October 26, 2015, 7:28 pm

Congrats on your new place. Your kitties are just too darn cute : ) Thanks for sharing

• ET October 26, 2015, 7:48 pm

Peaceful!!

• Trish October 26, 2015, 8:03 pm

do your cats get along with each other? my cats, separated by age, want nothing to do with each other. I have Pepper, who is around 13, and then Bebe, who is about 5, and Kitten, who is 1 plus a few months. We found Pepper roaming the small town we live near. Bebe my husband found in a field ( he works in agriculture). We opened up the door to our rural home and found Kitten (he was supposed to have a French name, but he really never looked like anything but Kitten). Kitten loves to attack the other two, in a playful fashion. I try to remind Bebe that he did that to Pepper not so long ago, with a similar reception, but he remains intolerant of Kitten’s playfulness. They are indoor/outdoor cats, and also have 2 dogs to contend with.

I love your apartment. I have never been into clutter, I love seeing space. You are very inspiring.

• Tammy Strobel October 27, 2015, 8:36 am

Trish, our cats get along (well, most of the time). 😉 They seem to be happier in the apartment. In the tiny house, they would hiss at each other more often. Thanks for the kind words about our space!

Best,

• Linda October 26, 2015, 8:41 pm

Congratulations on the new place!
    Love the kitties in the pics!

• Katie October 27, 2015, 1:52 am

Hey Tammy and Logan, Your new space looks lovely, I can imagine you both being really happy here. I love the bike racks and your cosy writing space – and the painted saw on the window sill is so fun!

• carrie October 27, 2015, 4:46 am

Oh Tammy, what a beautiful space!!! It still very much has the feel, simplicity, and love of a tiny space! I’m really trying to revamp our own small space into a space with much less STUFF… this really encourages me to do that!

• Anu October 27, 2015, 4:52 am

Lovely and so peaceful! 🙂

• sally October 27, 2015, 5:51 am

What lovely sunny light! Cute space, enjoy. Location location, as they say in real estate!

• Celeste McFall October 27, 2015, 6:28 am

What a lovely bright and poetic home….just like Tammy and Logan!

• Jill October 27, 2015, 7:01 am

Your new home looks very nice and cozy! I love all the natural light coming in. Being in town will be so much more convenient for you, especially with winter coming. The kittens seem to be pleased as well, which as we all know, it the true testament of a successful choice!

• Sherry October 27, 2015, 12:07 pm

I know you have to love having a washer and dryer !

• Diane October 27, 2015, 12:26 pm

A light, bright, cozy space. I laughed at the photo of your stove. Our house has a 1967 “Monkey Wards” stove that has four burners, two of which function, and a really iffy ignition for the oven. It was probably quite spiffy when it was new. : )

• Gary October 27, 2015, 8:19 pm

Did you move by bike? I’m not hounding you about this but you seemed to have so much fun with a bike move in Portland that I figured with as few of possesions you had, it would have been a fun experience.

• Logan October 28, 2015, 11:53 am

Hi Gary,

Great memory! Tammy and I didn’t end up moving by bike this time, just a few trips with our car. Moving by bike takes a community and we do not have the bikey community here as we did in Portland. I’ve been on bike moves in Portland that have had more than 30 people show up with cargo bikes and trailers. Unfortunately, not many of our friends here bike at all. Due to the large geographical nature of the rural county…everyone drives.

• Raven October 28, 2015, 12:17 am

Your new home looks absolutely beautiful! Glad to see that you and the cats are adjusting to it well~ 🙂

• domestic kate October 28, 2015, 1:42 pm

Cute place! Your comment about artwork on the walls making it feel like home reminds me of how curtains make me feel. As soon as those go up, it’s home.

• Jenn S. October 28, 2015, 5:37 pm

Hi Tammy,
    As always, thank you for sharing something so personal as your private living space. You’re writing always inspires me, but when you moved to the tiny house, I felt like I was reading fiction. There’s no way I could ever convince my family to minimize that much. These photos have reawakened my hopes and dreams of having and living and with less! I just love seeing your space – it’s so clean and open. I want that! It’s weird that I feel cramped in a 2000 square foot house . . . . First world problems, I guess . . . .