On Unplugging from Work & Embracing Adventure

IMG_7058

Last week didn’t unfold like I expected. Rather than getting annoyed, I focused on being grateful for my flexible schedule. Going with the flow made my week so much better!

Some of the week’s highlights include:

• I met a friend for coffee and breakfast at Ellie’s Espresso & Bakery in Weed, CA. They have delicious pastries and breakfast sandwiches. If you are traveling through Northern California, stop at this little bakery.
  • I wandered around the College of the Siskiyous (COS) while Logan was teaching a class. The COS campus is gorgeous. I did a little bit of work on bench under a giant pine tree with views of snow-capped mountains.
  • My father-in-law had a doctor’s appointment in Chico, CA, and I drove him down to Chico and back home. It was an unexpected six-hour driving adventure. Along the way, we had lunch with my sister-in-law and met my mom at Starbucks in Red Bluff, CA.

The best part of my week included weekend adventuring. Logan’s cousin Aubrey drove up from San Francisco to visit us. We had a blast hanging out with my in-laws and listening to my father-in-law’s stories. He is hilarious (be sure to check out his cowboy poetry).

Also, we took a day trip to Kangaroo Lake. Kangaroo Lake is a high mountain lake in the Klamath National Forest. The lake is about one hour from the tiny house going southwest. The scenes at the lake—and beyond—are incredible.

The day was perfect for a long hike. The sky was blue and there was a light breeze that kept us cool. We took Fen trail to the Kangaroo Lake Overview and kept walking up. The elevation was roughly 6,000 feet, and we tromped through snow on the trail.

After lunch, we kept walking until we hit the Pacific Crest Trail. We continued walking past Robbers Meadow and decided to turn around before we reached Bull Lake. Along the trail, we saw all kinds of sights including tiny purple flowers, dozens of reddish succulents, streams, meadows, tiny white flowers that looked like miniature daisies, and we spotted a few bald eagles, too!

Parting words …

I didn’t get much work done last week and spent a lot of time unplugged from the Internet. It was a much needed creativity reboot, and it reaffirmed how I want to spend my time as spring ends and summer begins. I want to go on more day hikes, bike rides, and explore Siskiyou County. There is so much to see and so many snapshots I want to take!

Enjoy the photos!

IMG_6989

IMG_7018

IMG_7019

IMG_7023

IMG_7027

IMG_7038

IMG_7008

IMG_7048

IMG_7051

IMG_7072

IMG_7152

IMG_7093

Note: the last photo in this set is by Aubrey Howell.

• Gwen May 12, 2015, 9:16 am

GREAT photos! I love the first one most of all! Thanks for sharing and putting a smile on my face. 🙂

• Maria May 12, 2015, 9:37 am

Sometimes those unexpected happenings are exactly what we need 🙂 Thank you for sharing your beautiful photos from your week.

• Sandra Pawula May 12, 2015, 9:58 am

Tammy, I so happy you were able to relax into the week and truly enjoy it. This affirms how I want to ease into my Spring and Summer too. Though now it’s so rainy, we won’t be going anywhere! But I know that’s temporary.

• Dorthe May 12, 2015, 11:52 am

Wonderful pics, thanks for sharing : )

• Kristine May 12, 2015, 1:54 pm

Love this post — All About Embracing Life!

• Katie May 13, 2015, 5:44 am

YAHOOOOO Tammy those photos are totally gorgeous, and I am going to take a leaf out of your book of “going with the flow” and not stressing about plans and what I ‘should’ be doing. You hit the Pacific Crest Trail! Did you feel WILD? 🙂 How much of it did you hike? High five friend! I’d love to put one foot in front of the other along that trail one day. Katie. X

• Tammy Strobel May 13, 2015, 9:11 am

Hey Katie,

Thank you!!! It was a 7 mile hike and it was awesome. We talked about WILD along the way. 🙂

Hugs,

• Amanda S @ Passionately Simple Life May 13, 2015, 5:52 am

What beautiful photos! Summer is truly meant to be enjoyed and hopefully I can spend more time outside, even if it’s working, rather than inside.

• Anne-Marie May 13, 2015, 10:42 am

Tammy, you should have come by and said hi when you were at COS. 🙂 If you are here again I work in the Distance Learning building.
    I don’t think I have been to Kangaroo Lake but these lakes are really pretty. We don’t have many (when I compare with Sweden) but there are some real gems.
    And I think it is important to “shake things up” a bit now and then. Great to hear about your fun adventures.

• Neens Bea May 14, 2015, 3:07 am

Wonderful photos! This is why I love being my own boss as well – when work gets too stressful or too frustrating, I can just put everything on hold and take my dog out for a long walk on the common or on one of the beaches in the area. Not only is a walk in nature a wonderful way to unwind, but being able to do it while most people are at work means you get it all to yourself as well!

• daoine o' May 19, 2015, 10:14 pm

<3 your newsletter and so glad I signed up after reading your blog/site for years! was enchanted by the "adventure log" but sad to see it was out of stock from word/bradley mountain. found it available on notegeist and ordered a set for my other half (a writer/adventurer) as a gift for one of our numerous anniversaries. thank you for all you do, tammy, you are an inspiration! 🙂