Why I Bought the iPhone 6 Plus

Recently, I’ve been answering specific reader questions on the blog. If you have questions or topics you need help with, please email me or leave a comment at the bottom of this post. I don’t know if I can respond to all of your questions, but I’ll do my best.

***

Tammy,

You mentioned in a recent photo essay that you purchased an iPhone 6 Plus. Why did you buy the new iPhone, and how do you like the camera? Do you think I should upgrade from the 5s to the 6 Plus?

— Nancy

Fish on...

Hi Nancy,

My obsession with mobile photography began in 2010 when I purchased an iPod Touch. Since then, I’ve delved deeper into mobile photography, and I’ve taken photographs with an iPhone 4s and 5s, and then I recently upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus.

Logan—my husband and best friend—encouraged me to buy the iPhone 6 Plus. I wasn’t going to purchase the phone because I enjoyed using the iPhone 5s, and I didn’t believe an upgrade was necessary. However, Logan thought the new iPhone would be a great fit for my business and my ever-growing interest in iPhone photography.

I was nervous about buying such a large phone, so Logan took my brother-in-law’s advice and made life-sized, cardboard models of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus for me. The models gave me a better sense of how the phone would feel in my hands. After playing with the cardboard models, I realized the iPhone 6 Plus would met my needs. I had a feeling I would appreciate the gigantic display size, too.

I’ve been using the iPhone 6 Plus since the beginning of October, and I’m happy Logan encouraged me to buy it! The device is lightweight, the camera focuses quickly, and the battery is long lasting. As I suspected, the size is perfect for my needs because the larger display size allows me to:

• compose and edit photos with ease
  • read with ease
  • write with ease
  • and text with ease

In summary, the iPhone 6 Plus is more than a phone (at least for me). For example, over the past two years, I’ve used the iPhone to take 95% of my photos. I also use the device for reading, writing, as well as for talking and texting. In essence, it’s a miniature computer that I use for multiple purposes.

Parting words…

Whether you are buying a new phone, or a computer, it’s essential to be mindful and thoughtful. Upgrading to a new iPhone may, or may not, be the best option for your circumstances. Do your research before you purchase a new phone. Before I bought the iPhone 6 Plus, I made pro/con lists, thought about my needs, read multiple reviews, and also talked to Logan about the purchase.

• vicki boyles October 30, 2014, 6:05 am

Tammy,

Thanks for the review…I have a 6 (not plus) on order now and CANNOT wait to get it! I live in Spain and they are such a hot commodity that I have to be on a waiting list with my phone provider. Sigh…nothing like trying the patience of an iPhone camera addict! 🙂
    Happy shooting, looking forward to seeing more of your amazing pictures!!

Vicki

• Meghan Arnold October 30, 2014, 7:12 am

I am upgrading from the 4S to the 5S this winter. I will always be a generation behind until I have the means to make the jump to a current generation. I absolutely cannot wait. Tell us how the 6 Plus works out for you!

• Lisa Victoria October 30, 2014, 7:53 am

Thanks for the insight. I love a girl that uses pros/cons lists ~ my Daddy taught me that and it’s stuck with me 😉 I’ve been trying to decide if I want to go for it and I think you have really helped with my decision. I want to simplify to 1 device. Have a lovely day ~ cheers!

• Emily @ Simple Cheap Mom October 30, 2014, 9:55 am

I would think the bigger size would be awkward for phone calls, but I don’t think anyone does that any more anyway, hehe.

• Tammy Strobel October 30, 2014, 10:39 am

I actually talk on the phone a lot, especially with my mom. I use my earbuds/headphones for phone conversations, though. 🙂

• Marla October 30, 2014, 9:57 am

I always leave your website with a smile, and a sense of inspiration! Thx, Marla

• Carrie Jesse October 30, 2014, 10:23 am

Hey Tammy,

I’m curious what kind of writing your using the 6 Plus for. And any apps you use to write on it?

I have an iPad Mini that I’ve been trying to use more for my writing, but am wondering if I’ll wind up with too many tools if I go with a 6 Plus.

• Tammy Strobel October 30, 2014, 10:41 am

Hey Carrie,

I use Evernote for outlining posts and for writing drafts on the iPhone. Evernote is awesome because it syncs across devices. That makes my life so much easier! Hope that helps.

Best,

• Carrie Jesse October 30, 2014, 10:54 am

Thanks, Tammy! I was also wondering how you like it while you’re out hiking, etc. Do you have the 6 Plus in a case? Thanks for the help and input!

• Tammy Strobel October 30, 2014, 12:02 pm

I do have a case for my phone because I’m clumsy. I believe it’s a case from Apple. I don’t know what type, thought. Logan bought it for me. 🙂

The phone has been great so far. I use it as as camera when I’m out on hikes. When it isn’t in use, I store the phone in my backpack. I’ve never been a pocket person. I prefer storing my stuff in a purse or backpack. 🙂

• Barry Morris October 30, 2014, 11:02 am

I left the iPhone clan for only one reason… my 4S was increasingly hard to read. I migrated to a huge Android Galaxy Note 3 and patiently waited on Apple to consider the needs of us ‘mature’ types. My iPhone 6 Plus is ordered and wait begins. 🙂

• Rebecca | Seven2Seven8 October 30, 2014, 11:27 am

Hi Tammy! I switched to iPhone from Android in 2012, purchasing an iPhone 4 a little while before the 4S was released. In November 2014, after slogging through weeks of phone problems after the iOS7 update, I upgraded to the 5S, but because I was increasingly using my phone for mobile communications (including blog reading, email, and social media), I also purchased an iPad Mini Retina, which I use when I’m doing more intense reading, because the larger screen size is preferable (I still prefer a “real” computer – eg, a laptop or desktop – at work and when I’m writing a lot at home, like for my own blog). I would have purchased a “phablet” if Apple had made one, and considered the Galaxy Note but didn’t like the size and remain wary of Android products too-rapid planned obsolescence (my first Android was rendered obsolete 18 months into my ownership – it didn’t even last the 2 years between upgrade specials that my carrier offers). I have decided this pattern of “skip two updates and get the third” makes sense. Though I’d prefer having one device to two, I am okay with my current set-up, and suspect I will start to have update issues and the like once the iPhone 7 rolls out two years from now. I’ll upgrade, and hopefully to a phablet, if those are still “in”, then.

• Neens October 30, 2014, 4:49 pm

What a well-timed blog post! I must admit most of the recent iPhone 6 buzz have passed me by completely, and I had never even heard of an iPhone 6 Plus (or indeed of ‘phablets’ – what a phabulous word!). I have been seriously considering upgrading my trusty iPhone 4s to a 5s, though – my friend has a 5s and I am always deeply envious of the quality on the Snapchats she sends me. I have been using my iPhone as my only camera for the past 3 years or so, but I have just created a new blog with a photography section, and suddenly it is becoming painfully obvious that the resolution on the old 4s isn’t *quite* up to scratch. I don’t think the fact that I managed to drop it on the street three times in one week helped, either – the poor thing is smashed to bits on the back, but still works fine. I have been having trouble with running out of memory on it though, and I had to delete several apps just to install the latest OS upgrade. I’m so glad I read your post this evening (well – it’s technically midnight)! I will definitely look into the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, and if I know myself at all, I think there is a bit of an investment in my future. Luckily, I am self-employed, so I can deduct the phone on my taxes! 😉

• Neens Bea November 7, 2014, 9:12 am

I read up about the iPhone 6 Plus, and decided to invest in one. The guy who helped me at The Apple Store has a degree in photography, and said that apart from his art photography (which he shoots on film), he also only uses an iPhone to take pictures. I’ve only had my iPhone 6 Plus for a day, but the difference in picture quality is outstanding, and the camera has a wider angle, so I have been out reshooting some old favourite motifs today. Thanks again for posting this!

• Paul Glowiak November 6, 2014, 7:00 pm

I am having a similar debate, Tammy. I have a 4S and did not upgrade yet. I have had both iPhones and Android, and am considering staying with Apple. I may go the same route you did with an iPhone and iPad. I know people who have both, and I agree with you. I want something that is going to be working at the end of my contract (which my current phone does.

• DarrenKeith Wyatt November 8, 2014, 5:04 am

Great post Tammy. Thank you for posting your thoughts on the iPhone 6plus. I’m greedy. I want to keep my Galaxy S3 and I want the iPhone 6. I dig my S3 because of the size (4.8″) For me it’s the perfect sizefor my hands. I can take self-portraits with one hand. (I have never taking self-portraits with the front facing camera…what’s the point? The MP aren’t there).

I must admit, my wife has the iPhone 4 and I still love the camera on her phone. One major hang up I have about the iPhone is that there is no self-timer. The small things are a deal breaker for me when it comes to gadgets. The iPhone will never have a removable battery and you can’t add an MICRO-SD card. 🙁

Overall Apple makes a great phone and the camera? WOW. I have to give Apple their props when it comes to the phone. It’s beautiful and powerful. You made a great choice.

Love your work. Keep the awesome photos coming. We appreciate your posts and images. 🙂

Be Blessed (You and Your Family)