Happy Links: From Facebook to Success

Park City, UT

{Every week, I publish a series of inspiring links. Enjoy!}

I’m spending less time on Facebook and Twitter and more time outside taking photographs. Fall is my favorite time of year and I want to capture the colors with my camera. Also, my super smart husband is taking a break from Facebook this month. He was inspired to take a sabbatical after reading these articles: “Why I Never Joined Facebook” and “Why I’m (Still) Not Going to Join Facebook: Four Arguments that Failed to Convince Me.

I like Cal’s blog and enjoyed his recent article about non-work related web use.

The Skimm is helpful!

After Meghan completes 100 Days of Good Karma she will continue to update her blog. That makes me happy because I love her writing.

These pillows are cool!

Smarts from Tina about victory and setting goals.

A rad project: “Impossible hats send kids to school.”

Michelle’s recent essay about success and journaling was awesome!

P. S. The winner of last week’s Desire Map Day Planner giveaway is Jackie Flaherty. Congratulations Jackie! I’ll be in touch via email.

• Elizabeth Milligan October 3, 2014, 3:30 am

Great links as usual 🙂 I especially like the two posts about facebook which I find takes up way more time than I would like. I’m going to follow your lead and get out and about with my camera this fall and away from social media. Have a great weekend!

• Eric West October 3, 2014, 4:53 am

Funny thing about Facebook – I hid all the people that were overly political or overly opinionated, and my Facebook is much quieter and more fun to read now. All that is left is the people I enjoy. I also started a Facebook group based on my blog to help connect minimalist and like minded people so that we have a place to share ideas. I’m finding Facebook groups to be a much better use of Facebook than just scanning through that latest happenings with my friends.

Even with all that, I still don’t see it as a necessary tool. It’s more of a nice to have and use sometimes, and it’s definitely nice to unplug sometimes. 🙂

• Cynthia October 3, 2014, 6:24 am

Enjoy your break from Facebook and Twitter! I left Facebook a long time ago, and only use Twitter sporadically; I find social media takes time away from more important things I could be doing: spending time with friends and family, reading, writing, walking the dog, photography, etc.

Have a happy weekend! 🙂

• Amber Marie October 3, 2014, 1:24 pm

Have you read Feed by M.T. Anderson? I’m not a big sci-fi reader, but we read this for my Young Adult Literature course last week, and I can’t stop thinking about how much technology and consumerism affects us psychologically. I enjoyed those blog posts on not using Facebook. I have been wishing I could disconnect from FB for awhile now, but I’m pretty much trapped since my assistantship job is to control the social media for multiple departments. I thought there may be a way that I could just control them while not having a personal account, but it doesn’t work that way. :/ I really need to limit myself though. I was in the middle of reading a scholarly article for class, but was having a hard time concentrating so what did I do? Hoped on FB! Fortunately, the post I saw was your link to this post, so now I’m motivated to return to my work and resist the temptation (which is stupid difficult. Whhhhy? It’s really got us, doesn’t it?) Hope you have a great weekend, Tammy!

• beachmama October 3, 2014, 11:54 pm

Not sure if I’ve already said this but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your header!

The past two weeks I’ve done less and less with FB and done more and more life . . . I’ve had this amazing spurt of creativity! I’m photographing more and editing less, sewing and designing more, clicking through clothing sites way less, cooking, hiking, purging stuff and reading more and loving life again! I love the Internet but I sure can get sucked down the rabbit hole if I don’t pay attention . . . thanks so much for the link to Cal’s blog where one of the commenters posted his focus blocks that I intend to adopt : )

• Katie October 5, 2014, 7:32 am

Yahoooooo to less facebook and more time outside taking photographs! I recently watched Finding Vivian Maier, and immediately afterwards we all raced outside with our cameras set to monochrome, papping each other. It was so much fun, and we discovered a new section of the park we’d never been to before – a secret hill! I highly recommend the film to all!
    Katie. X

• Tina Smith October 9, 2014, 9:20 am

Thanks for the link to Smashed Picket Fences (Goal setting and winning), Tammy!

Also I’m super excited about Meghan continuing her blogging and writing about her experience. Her posts are some of the best parts of the day!