Happy Links: From Grief to Good Reads

Lake Siskiyou; taken with iPhone 5s

{Every week, I publish a series of inspiring links. Enjoy!}

In this interview, poet, Edward Hirsch talks about grief. It was honest and inspiring.

Fantastic photography tips via Artifact Uprising.

A powerful read: Seat 21A: a window seat reminder of humanity.

Inspiring TED Talks: How to live passionately no matter your age & Want to be happy? Be grateful.

How to stop checking your email constantly.

On labels and letting go.

SuperThank is awesome!

I’m reading “It’s Not About the Bike” and “Without Reservations: the travels of an independent woman.”

Share your good reads in the comments section!

P. S. If you’ve read “My Morning View” please leave a review on amazon.com. Reviews help spread the word about my little book. Thanks in advance!

• Eric West | Rethinking the Dream September 11, 2014, 11:19 am

The mashable article was interesting. I found that when I turned of push notifications, including the chime and the little number above the icon, I check my email much less frequently. I often go the entire day without checking it, whereas before I would check it just to clear out that little number.

• Sandra Pawula September 11, 2014, 2:13 pm

That was a fascinating read about how to turn off your email, Tammy. I love studies that show us how the brain works or doesn’t work to help us get things done.

• Peggy September 11, 2014, 6:02 pm

I absolutely love Without Reservations. Read it years ago when it was first published and I’ve read it more than once. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

• Alisa September 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

I love your new header! Thanks for the good links. As usual. You keep my browsing interesting.

• Ann September 12, 2014, 7:54 am

On grief.
    I was moved by the link to Edward Hirsch.
    I think grief change you as a person. Sometimes I think that is why we love youth so much, a time when we have not yet been touched by grief. Maybe that’s why some older kids are angry and loud, because they have lost this innocence.
    I’m not able to practise gratefulness. I do, still, try to absorb each day and reflect on it because I know every day can be the last, each second must last forever.

• Asa September 12, 2014, 10:30 am

What’s making you read It’s Not About the Bike? I couldn’t imagine reading anything by Lance Armstrong, especially not when he was in the thick of his lies. I clicked through on your link and read some of the comments. It’s amazing how inspiring he was to so many people. Which makes his lies so much harder for me to forgive.

I loved that link about labels. It’s a good reminder that you should only continue doing something as long as it continues to make sense. Essentially, never relinquish the right to change your mind, regardless of past actions.

• Tammy Strobel September 12, 2014, 12:33 pm

It’s not my place to judge Lance Armstrong. The courts will do that. A few acquaintances of mine were recently diagnosed with cancer and I wanted to read about his recovery from the disease.

• Anu September 12, 2014, 5:59 pm

I liked the article about labels.

It is interesting that you are reading It’s Not About the Bike. I would wonder how much was authentic and how much was put on to forward the falsehoods he was engaged it, whether it was about the race or the cancer.

• Tammy Strobel September 13, 2014, 11:52 am

I did too. Hari is a wonderful writer.

Armstrong’s book was inspiring. Do I believe every word he wrote? No. However, I learned a lot about testicualr cancer and racing. Also, his story brings up a lot of interesting questions around addiction, shame & fame. I’d be curious to hear how those things impacted his choices and subsequent lies about dopping.

• Suzi September 12, 2014, 8:14 pm

I read It’s Not About the Bike a long time ago. It really doesn’t matter about the scandals that followed, when I read the passage the tittle comes from: I cried. The words describing Fabio Castorelli”s death moved me and stayed with me.

• Tammy Strobel September 13, 2014, 11:43 am

I agree! I thought the book was inspiring on a number of levels. And as I said in a prior comment, it’s not my place to judge Armstrong. I wish him well and hope he learns from his mistakes.

• Wanda Shook September 13, 2014, 7:02 pm

I wanted to say thanks for the book suggestions. Without Reservations is on order at the library.
    Armstrong’s book doesn’t interest me so it’s doubtful I will read it and it’s because of what he did or what he said, I am not much of a memoir /biography person.