Why I Love Creative Projects

Taken with my iPhone 5s

For the last few weeks, I’ve had cabin fever because it’s been so hot outside. The heat makes it difficult to go on long afternoon walks and if I don’t get enough exercise, I become crabby, tired, and a general feeling of gloom seeps into my mind. To counteract these feelings, I change my routine, focus on gratitude, and work on creative projects. I love creative projects because they redirect my attention from negative thoughts to all the good stuff that is happening in my life.

If you want to start a creative project, below is a list of summer courses and other ideas that might spark your interest:

1. Susannah Conway started The August Break in 2010 because she needed a break from blogging. She decided to only post photos to her blog and Susannah invited her readers to be part of the project too. I’ve participated in The August Break for the last few years and it’s a lot of fun.

2. 100 Days of Good Karma is a sweet idea. This project is about finding the good in each day, even when the circumstances aren’t ideal. Learn more about the project here and here.

3. My photography e-course, Everyday Magic: How to Capture Creative Images with Your Camera, is open for registration! I’ve restructured the course and I’m excited to teach it for the second time this summer.

4. Summer is the perfect opportunity to begin a new morning routine, to start a blog, or to transform your wardrobe. Courtney Carver offers wonderful e-courses on these topics.

5. Alternatively, you can start journaling, take a digital sabbatical, plant a garden, or walk 10,000 steps a day.

Use your imagination, have fun, and start a creative summer project today.

• Cynthia Dunlavy July 22, 2014, 4:16 pm

Tammy, I love your photo of the monarch butterfly! Growing up, I saw a lot of monarchs; sadly we see much less of them now.

• Jen July 22, 2014, 5:03 pm

Hi Tammy,
    I love this post. I agree – my creative projects keep me grounded and happy when other things in my life don’t seem to be going right. I journal every day which helps with that, and have recently started dabbling in art journaling. I love your post about how you use your journals, haven’t tried the Midori notebooks (use Moleskines right now) but I like how you’ve combined multiple journals into one place. At the moment I have lots of different journals all over the place – would love to have them all together!
    It’s winter here (New Zealand), so it’s been hard for me to go out walking too, given it’s been raining a lot. I’ve been taking that time to stay in and focus on my creative projects. I’m also participating in the August break, so that should be exciting!
    Jen xo

• joanna July 22, 2014, 5:57 pm

These are great ideas and much appreciated! Since I have left Facebook I feel I need a place to share photos and journal for my family and close friends. I thought maybe doing a blog. Can I make a blog private and share to select group? Anyway just thinking aloud here. Thanks for leading the way!

• Jen July 22, 2014, 8:26 pm

Hi Joanna, I think you can make a blog private and select who you share it with: http://weblogs.about.com/od/wordpresstutorialstips/qt/How-To-Make-A-Wordpress-Blog-Private.htm
      I’ve only just started my own blog but so far love it – feel like I’m building a small community and sharing my creativity – I’d recommend it! Tammy’s blog is a great inspiration for us all 🙂

• joanna July 23, 2014, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the link,Jen!

• Tammy Strobel July 24, 2014, 9:38 am

Typepad is a great blogging service and it allows users to create private blogs. Check it out. 🙂

• Kelly July 22, 2014, 10:01 pm

yep, August Break check! I am doing this thing called the 100 Days Project – http://www.100daysproject.co.nz – which I am enjoying also. Taking 100 photos of something colourful each day, and I will mesh it with the August Break next month 🙂 Hopefully it will give me extra inspiration.

Lovely post as per usual 🙂 x

• joanna July 23, 2014, 3:55 pm

Love the 100 day project. It sounds fun and simple.
      thx for sharing it.

• Lora Terry-Steele July 22, 2014, 11:56 pm

Thank You Tammy! Thank you for sharing who you are and being real with us. I like the idea of mind mapping, August breaks, and walks. I look forward to changing my routine and experiencing gratitude!

• Sabrina July 23, 2014, 1:05 am

I am back to journaling after I didn’t write for about 6 weeks, and it feels good! I want to bring more color to my journal, but as I can’t draw very well I am experimenting with simple shapes and drawings and add color to them.
    I try to walk a lot, but it’s hot here, too, so I not always feel like going on a long walk would be good for my body. Instead I do some simple Yoga stretches, just a few minutes in the morning and in the evening, and it helps my body and mind to relax! When I don’t move my body I don’t feel good, and when I don’t feel good I don’t do anything creative, so it’s important to get at least a tiny bit of exercise!
    I can recommend your photography course, too! It’s simple and effective. It helped me to start a tiny daily photography project, and now I take a picture of the sky every day! Not sure what I will do with these pictures, but for now it’s just about working daily on a simple project. And the sky is always there, no matter where I am, and even when I feel bad I can just take a picture from my window. So no excuses!
    I don’t have a blog, but I already signed up for the August break. The daily photography prompts don’t require a blog, and I think it’s going to be fun!

• Deborah Mauldin July 23, 2014, 9:27 am

What a great idea! Down here in Colorado I’m noticing that it’s harder to fall asleep because it’s hot and muggy at night, even with the fan running. That’s really altered my mood and my sleep and I have been longing for October to come quickly so I can bundle up and fall asleep easily again. It occurs to me that journaling at night before bed might help, rather than staring at the dark and getting frustrated with my loud and racing brain. So there’s a new routine I can put into place starting tonight!

• Jennifer July 24, 2014, 6:01 pm

Thanks for the awesome resources.

I’m going to look into this August break. It sounds like something that might be good for me since I’ve been struggling a lot with blogging lately. I need a new sense of direction and bit of a break from the pressure of writing my help me regain focus and passion for writing on there!

I love filling my summers with creative projects. I find I have a lot of pent up creative energy when I’m not working (I’m an English teacher) so it’s fun to pick up exciting projects over the summer time!