ā‰” Menu

A Photo Essay: Cows & Coffee

Every year, my in-laws move a portion of their cattle from Little Shasta Valley into the mountains. Until the fall, the cows get to eat green grass and enjoy the cool air. I don’t move cows during the cattle drive because I don’t know how to ride a horse and they have plenty of riders to help with that task. Instead, I spent the weekend drinking coffee, talking with family and friends, and taking pictures. It was fun!

Enjoy the photos!

IMG_3445

IMG_3491

IMG_3549

IMG_3477

Before you go . . .

• barbara techel June 3, 2014, 9:35 am

Oh, how I love the photo of the horse bowing down! Also enjoyed the look of fearlessness of the young girl on the horse.

thanks for the smile!
    Barbara

• Nancy Thompson June 3, 2014, 9:40 am

Hi Tammy, I love your photo class and try to get out daily with my camera. I post some photos on my blog and I was wondering how you handle photo/model releases. Did you stop and ask the folks in your photos to sign a release? I get the point but it somehow seems like it kills the moment and if you aren’t specifically naming them maybe it’s okay? I would appreciate your professional opinion. Thank you! Love the dust! I can feel summer in the air in these photos. Wonderful.

• Tammy Strobel June 3, 2014, 12:02 pm

Hi Nancy,

All of the people you see in these photos are friends and family. They were okay with me taking photos and sharing (as far as I know). Typically, I ask permission first. I don’t have a formal waiver. I’m sure that might be a good idea for certain situations. Generally, I think it depends on what you are doing with the images. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

• Mickey June 3, 2014, 9:48 am

“Cows and coffee” is one of those headlines that only you could pull off, Tammy. Lovely pictures!

• Katie June 3, 2014, 10:36 am

Hey Tammy,

Wow these photos are so atmospheric and well, EPIC! I love how you found the light to illuminate the rising dust. Looks like a very fun day.

Katie. X

• Amber Marie June 3, 2014, 11:46 am

So good! I felt like I was right there! šŸ™‚ Are these done with you iPhone or DSLR?

• Tammy Strobel June 3, 2014, 11:55 am

Thank you. They were taken with both. šŸ™‚

• Tammy Strobel June 3, 2014, 12:09 pm

Anne Marie,

I just updated the post. Hover over each image, with your mouse, and you can see my notes. I hope that helps.

Cheers,

• lucent imagery June 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

Oh that 5th photo took my breath away. Beautiful light! And the horse bowing down, I just want to cuddle it. This reminds me of staying on my auntie and uncle’s farm a couple of years ago and a part of the fence broke and the cows were wondering. Being out there with all my family rounding them back up again was so much fun! My auntie also has a very large bull she raised from a calf and it is more like a massive pet dog – it snuggles into her, licks her face! We’re looking forward to another visit there this winter.

• Sandra Pawula June 3, 2014, 6:49 pm

These are amazing, Tammy! The neutral colors create such an ambiance and the colorful photos really pop.

• swalia June 4, 2014, 12:46 am

beautiful pics, as always!

• Gina, a book dragon June 4, 2014, 2:31 am

Being part of the cattle ride would be nice but then we would have missed out on your photos. They’re fabulous

• LeAnna Totten June 4, 2014, 6:49 am

What great photos! Have you thought about learning to ride? Getting to help move those cows would make riding a horse worth it!

• Tammy Strobel June 4, 2014, 8:12 am

Thanks LeAnna! I love looking at horses and giving them love, but riding a horse doesn’t appeal to me. Plus, I have a bad back and I’m scared that I would hurt myself. šŸ™‚

• becky garcia June 5, 2014, 4:17 pm

as always, beautiful photos, Tammy. I feel these photos have an added dimension tho in that they are documenting a changing way of life, or more to the point, a family’s determined resistance to preserve a treasured and often quickly disappearing way of life.

• Tina Smith June 14, 2014, 8:09 pm

Awesome!! Love the title and all the great moments you captured.