A Photo Essay: The Butt Biter

I’ve been working, and goofing off, at my mom’s place for the last four days. Also, I helped my mom declutter a few areas in her home (more on that in a future essay) and I spent time with Henry! It’s been a fun trip.

Logan drove from the ranch to my mom’s house on Sunday, to visit, and help with a few projects. We spent Sunday afternoon prepping her garden and Logan tried to start the rototiller. Henry isn’t a fan of loud noises and the rototiller wasn’t cooperating with Logan. It kept making very loud sputtering noises, which caused Henry to enter into crazy dog mode.

Before we knew, Henry was running across the yard toward Logan. I felt like everything was happening in slow motion. I tried to yell “no,” but nothing came out of my mouth. Then Henry bounced into the air and bit Logan’s butt. Logan yelped, started to yell at the dog, and we put Henry in doggy time out.

Everyone is okay. Also, Logan and Henry seem to be on speaking terms again. And, I can’t believe how things change. Once upon a time, I was terrified of Henry and now I love him (even when he bites my husband’s butt).

Enjoy the photos!

IMG_2920

IMG_2999

IMG_2997

IMG_3024

IMG_3044

IMG_3080

Before you go . . .

• My photography e-course is open for registration. I hope you’ll join us for the summer session!
  • My friend Courtney is bringing back her morning routine! She said, “In celebration of bringing my morning routine back, I’m offering the microcourse, “How to Create a Meaningful Morning Routine“ for only $5.00 for the rest of the month. If you aren’t familiar with this microcourse, here is a brief description.”

• Trish May 25, 2014, 6:32 pm

Poor Henry – he looks to be a herding dog, with those intense eyes. Those instincts run very deep. We have an Australian Cattle Dog (blue heeler), who also has those intense eyes. She was needing a home, which is why we have her. we live in the country, but don’t have any animals for her to herd, so her instincts are thwarted. She hates loud noises as well. These dogs really weren’t meant to be pets. The best dogs are mixed breeds. But those poor herding dogs need love too.

• Laura Bradshaw May 27, 2014, 4:36 am

Couldn’t agree more Trish. Give that dog a job!
      Other things I noticed:
      You have lovely long toes Tammy and nice summer polish as well!
      Someone has been doing a tidy job at your mom’s house on the edging!
      The hydrangeas! Soo beautiful!

Thanks Tammy – I’ve been reading your blog for almost as long as you’ve had it going and I love the simplicity and clarity.

• Tammy Strobel May 27, 2014, 9:39 am

Thank you for reading Laura! I appreciate it. And yes, Henry needs a job! He is spoiled. 🙂

• Margie May 25, 2014, 7:17 pm

Those blue eyes make up for his shenanigans. Ouch!

• Christy King May 25, 2014, 7:37 pm

Our poodle used to nip me whenever he felt I was being unsafe. Maybe Henry was trying to warn Logan from the tiller.

• Sandra Pawula May 25, 2014, 9:43 pm

Your story of overcoming your fear of Henry is one of my favorites. I can’t believe he’s up to old tricks and biting Logan’s butt! I hope Logan feels OK (and can sit down :))! It’s so lovely that you’ve come to love Henry dearly. Love the photos too.

• Tammy Strobel May 29, 2014, 7:56 pm

Thanks Sandra! Logan is okay. It was more of a love bite. 🙂

xo,

• Samantha May 25, 2014, 10:59 pm

Henry is gorgeous, such a mischievous personality! What a fun character to spend time with. Your photos of him are beautiful, I especially love the way you use the pool and the green grass to bring out the blue in his eyes.

• Tracey Martin May 26, 2014, 10:28 am

Henry cracks me up!! I’m sure it wasn’t too funny at the time 😉 We had a crazy bulldog that was just the same-hated the law mower and vacuum- really he was just a big scaredy cat! Those little stinkers sure bring alot of joy to our lives though….

• Kayla Dawn Thomas May 26, 2014, 9:56 pm

I needed a good giggle tonight, thanks for sharing. Your photos are wonderful, as usual. Your work never fails to lift me up and inspire.

• Kane May 27, 2014, 12:03 pm

Maybe your man’s but is just so juicy he couldn’t resist biting it?

At least our Jack Russel confines himself to biting our crocks just after he’s had a shower and rough towelling. Which is at least three times a week (no details as to why required here).

K

PS I’m waiting for my copy of ‘Writing About Your Life’ to land in the mail box.

• Tammy Strobel May 29, 2014, 7:56 pm

Kane,

Your comment made me laugh out loud! Also, “Writing About Your Life” is awesome.

Cheers,

• Anne-Marie May 28, 2014, 4:06 pm

Henry looks like a very nice dog, but maybe without a job. Being unemployed isn’t always fun. 😉
    I just came back from about 5 days in Woodburn outside of Portland where I visited a friend. She and her husband moved there last year from Lake Shastina. They have two charming dogs and I really enjoyed spending time with them.

• Catherine McCann May 31, 2014, 9:17 am

Hi Tammy,

I could just imagine the shock and surprise on Logan’s face when Henry nipped him. It’s funny in retrospect, but I’m sure Logan was not amused at the time!

I’ve read everything I could get my hands on that was written by William Zinsser. He may be single handedly responsible for my ongoing efforts to learn to write well. He is so encouraging.

Thanks Tammy for your writing and your commitment to this blog. I’ve followed you for years (starting when you still lived in your apartment in Portland) , read your books, and loved your photos. This is the first time I’ve commented even though I considered doing so many times. You have been an inspiration to me also.

Best wishes,
    Catherine

• Tammy Strobel June 1, 2014, 5:23 pm

Catherine – Thanks for your ongoing support! I appreciate it. 🙂 Hugs.