Why We Bought a Brompton

Brompton fun

A few readers have inquired about Logan’s new Brompton folding bicycle. To address those questions and to update everyone, we recorded a brief audio segment about our new acquisition. In the segment, we talked about:

• why we purchased a Brompton bicycle,
  • how the Brompton bicycle augmented our transportation needs,
  • and Logan talked about bike buying tips too.

Listen to the recording here:

Before you go . . .

• Logan wrote a fantastic article about his new bike for Tiny House Magazine. The new issue will be out in a few weeks. You can browse past issues here.
  • Have you bought a copy of My Morning View? If yes, please leave a book review on amazon. Reviews help spread the word about my book.

• Chris Baskind May 21, 2014, 6:12 pm

Great choice! The Bromptons are brilliant. I’ve wondered before why you hadn’t already done this. I addition to the logistic management you discussed in your audio segment, folding bikes and tiny houses seem like such a good match.

I’d be tempted to dump everything but a nice Brompton and a trailer — it will take you anywhere, carrying almost anything (even multi-mode). I assume the Brompton would pull Burley’s Travoy trailer. Now THAT is efficient.

Enjoy! 🙂

• Alysha May 21, 2014, 6:29 pm

I really enjoyed this audio segment. It’s obvious that you guys put a lot of thought into your purchase. I’m glad Logan enjoys his job!!! Although I never put much thought into downsizing my car, I totally admire you guys for not being dependent on a vehicle and thinking of other ways to get around! Great job!

• brett May 21, 2014, 11:40 pm

Thanks for the report! I’m contemplating doing the same thing for similar reasons, and I’m a Clever Cycles customer already, so I know how much they recommend Bromptons. I’ve also heard good things about the made-in-Oregon Bike Fridays and wondered whether you considered those and if so, what made you go for the Brompton. Glad it’s working for you.

• Logan May 22, 2014, 9:39 pm

Hi Brett,

The Bike Friday is a great bike. It all depends on your application. The bike Friday is great for airport travel and long distance cycle touring. For example if I decided today I wanted to cycle aggressively around France and use my own bike, a bike Friday would be an ideal option for packing up and flying over with.

However, the Brompton has the smallest volume (16 inch wheels tri-fold vs 20 inch wheels bi-fold), a quick fold, and one of the easiest designs to use while folded in my opinion. The Brompton is a wonderful tool for getting from point to point and carrying it on the bus or sticking in the back of a car and averaging about 12 to 15 mph. The bike Fridays are bikes that fold, and travel small, however I wouldn’t want to fold one 3 times a day during a work commute as its too cumbersome.

Try renting a Brompton from Clever for a week or so and see if you like it. If you end up buying a Brompton they will apply your rental cost to your new bike. 🙂

• brett May 22, 2014, 11:02 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed and useful reply, Logan. That’s exactly what I need to know. I’m sure I’ll try both at some point, but I know my usage will be, as you guessed, much like yours: putting it on the Max/bus/ train and riding around town, not long distance touring or airports. I prefer to shop local, but even though BF is made in Oregon, I live 100 miles away from the shop, and if my bike needs work, I’d rather tote it a few miles to Clever Cycles. So glad you’re enjoying your bike and that it fits the tiny house lifestyle so well. thanks again.

• Judy May 22, 2014, 5:17 am

I would really like to listen to this audio because I am planning to get a bike soon and need all the advice I can get. But Sound Cloud says it can’t find the track. I’ve never had a problem listening to your audios before. It sounds like others can listen. I wonder what the problem is.

• Tammy Strobel May 22, 2014, 9:10 am

Hey Judy – SoundCloud had server issues yesterday and their site was down for a while. The audio is working again. Let me know if you have anymore tech issues.

Best,

• Sara Grafton May 22, 2014, 9:47 am

I enjoyed listening and reading about your decisions to go back to one car and to purchase the folding bicycle. It is a good reminder that this a journey and that our situations change over time, especially with moving and/or a new job. Owning less stuff and having no debt can help us really think about purchases and focus on a quality item to fulfill a need. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

• Kay May 22, 2014, 4:22 pm

I have a folding bike I rode for three months in Sweden last year. It was the best! Sweden does not allow bikes on trains but they allowed the folding bike no problem. I’ve had a lot of bikes over the years and my folding bike is my favorite!

• Marjorie Cooper May 23, 2014, 8:13 am

Thank-you so much for putting me on to the Brompton’s. I definitely will be trying one out!! I have a hurt back and it seems that upright bikes work the best for me!! Also I have minimal space! Thank-you for sharing!!