What I’ve Learned From Photography

Rainbow Magic in Little Shasta Valley, CA

I’ve been taking photographs since I was a little girl. However, I didn’t start calling myself a photographer until I was in my twenties. Prior to that, I assumed that I had to have a degree in the arts to call myself a photographer. I made the same assumption about writing too. Luckily, I realized that isn’t true. To understand a subject, you don’t need a formal degree. But you do need determination, grit, and the willingness to keep learning throughout your life.

For those of you who are interested in photography, I’d like to share what I’ve learned so far.

1. Take photographs everyday. Similar to my writing practice, I take photographs everyday. I highly recommend developing your own photography project. For instance, My Morning View photography series has infused energy into my daily routine and it’s helped me become a little more creative with the types of shots I take.

Spring colors

2. Join a social network. I’m a huge fan of Instagram and Pinterest. Admiring the work of photographers is inspiring and it gives me new, creative ideas for my photography practice.

3. Start a blog. I’ve been blogging since 2007 and it is one of the best things I’ve done with my time. Sharing my photography — and writing — has taken me to places I never imagined.

Poppy Love in Chico, CA

4. You don’t need a fancy camera to take gorgeous photographs. Prior to buying my iPhone in 2011, I used my Nikon D5000 to take photographs. I still use my Nikon to take photos. However, my iPhone 5s is my main camera. It’s always with me and it’s the perfect tool to capture My Morning View.

5. Keep learning. The closest college is 45 miles south of my house, so having the option to take online courses is fantastic. It enables me to keep learning and expanding my photographic knowledge. The Internet rocks!

What have you learned from photography? Share your thoughts in the comments section.

My Morning ViewP.S. My Morning View: An iPhone Photography Project about Gratitude, Grief & Good Coffee was released a few weeks ago!

You can help with the book launch by:

• Sharing this post with friends, family, and on social media sites.
  • If you are inclined, and have the time, please leave a book review on amazon.
  • If you are a blogger and want to interview me about the book, send me a note:[email protected]

• danielle March 31, 2014, 10:28 am

I have learned that I will never regret the pictures I have taken, only the ones I didn’t. I started getting into photography with the birth of my first child(now 7) and it just grew from there. I did a 365 self portrait project after realizing how few pictures I was in. Each picture with my family is a treasure. Great article.

• Cynthia March 31, 2014, 11:27 am

Great post! I love the rainbow photo! I find I’m more aware of my surroundings because of photography; I pay more attention to the small details that I may not have seen otherwise.

• Susan Desrocher March 31, 2014, 1:14 pm

Taking pictures has completely changed my life. I find beauty in ordinary things and pay attention to my surroundings; I am definitely more present in my life because I am always looking around me for interesting shots.

Writing a blog has also changed my life. I have a community and feel like I have found kindred souls online that I didn’t find in my everyday life.

I love the picture of the coffee cup with the pink flowers.

• Beverly Youngman March 31, 2014, 1:36 pm

Great Work! Thank you for all the wonderful advice.

• Maria April 1, 2014, 2:44 am

Love the yellow flowers, especially the pointy one at the top:)

• Sabrina April 2, 2014, 2:22 am

What I have learned from photography is that beautiful things are everywhere around us. You just need to look close enough and pay attention!

• Jessica April 3, 2014, 1:39 am

Before I started taking pictures more often (I started about a year ago), I never saw the creative aspect of photography. I always thought everybody could take a snapshot, but there is more to it. Photography is actually really creative and you have to have an eye for details and a sense of timing for light and patience to find the right angle for a picture. From 50 pictures I take, maybe only 5 look nice, so patience is also something I learned through photography.

PS: Your pictures look really really great! I can’t believe you only used your iPhone for them. I guess I still have a lot to learn

• Neens B April 3, 2014, 6:34 am

I’m taking ‘a leaf out of your book’ and am starting a weekly photography feature on my blog tomorrow. I figured I’d start small, and this way I’m only committing myself to getting one great shot per week. 😉 I stopped using all my fancy camera equipment after I got an iPhone 4s, the camera is so good that I couldn’t be bothered to carry other cameras with me. So now I’m a dedicated iphoneographer, lol! 😉 I love Instagram as well, if I do decide to edit a photo I usually do it there, and then share the photo to facebook, twitter and flickr while I’m at it. I’ve also got an ifttt recipe set up which automatically sends any photo I post on Instagram to my Dropbox. Very handy! 🙂

• JessicaM April 3, 2014, 4:01 pm

Love this site! Everything I’m interested in, in one place: photography, writing, AND tiny houses!! Love your photos, so colorful. I’m going to take your advice and start committing to a daily practice of photography. Thank you for creating this page!

• Rose April 4, 2014, 5:36 am

I’m so into photography lately, already more than I was. Thank you for the tips and it seems like a lovely book!

• nanette Gordon April 9, 2014, 4:20 pm

So happy to find you here through Susannah Conway’s post. I also follow Rowdy Kitten on Instragram as I am crazy about your little house and want one of my own someday!! Love this post about photography..