How I Journal

Journals, Desire Map Planner & Macbook

Today, I recorded a podcast about how I journal. Click here to listen to the audio.

If you can’t listen to the podcast, below is a summary of my talk:

• Journaling helps me flush out ideas, practice gratitude, and it’s a key part of my daily writing practice. More importantly, my journal is a safe writing space. I don’t have to worry about grammar or what people think of my writing style because my journals are private.
  • After a journaling session, I read my entry and look for ideas I want to expand. I use a paper tab to mark the page or I highlight key concepts. This is a great way to find entries that I want to share with others. Then I transcribe those ideas into Scrivener or a Word document.
  • I can’t part with the journals I wrote in while my step-dad, Mahlon, was sick and after he died. Currently, I have a whole stack of journals in my closet that I’ve been slowly sorting through. I’m holding onto these notebooks for a lot of reasons. Mainly, I want to use some of the content for future articles, e-courses, and possibly a book.
  • My old journals aren’t meant for anyone else to read, which is why I shred most of my old notebooks. The thoughts contained within my notebooks are personal, intimate, and most of the entries don’t contain coherent story lines.
  • Finally, registration for my writing course is open! I hope you will join us for the winter session. Read more here.

Writing in the Digial Age

P.S. For more on this topic, check out these posts:

• Debra Haydel February 4, 2014, 9:16 pm

I love this! I’ve held onto a few private journals from a very hard time in my life in which I also haven’t been able to let go of. But now I can see a potential purpose for future use. I took your Fall 2013 Writing in the Digital Age e-course and loved! Although, I must confess I haven’t been as diligent in my writing as I’ve wanted. But that’s one thing I really enjoy about your teaching style for journaling is…you stress the importance of free, safe writing space for me and not for rules. So I’m not being too hard on myself.

• Mad Cat Quilts February 5, 2014, 7:59 am

Isn’t it hard to shred all those thoughts and feelings? Do you ever find you wish you had kept them? Also, wouldn’t you possibly find more/other things to highlight or explore if you re read them today?

• Tammy Strobel February 5, 2014, 8:29 am

@Mad Cat Quilts – Sometimes it is hard to shred my journals. However, I’ve never found myself wishing that I’d kept them. I will always carry my thoughts and feelings inside me.

• Scott Bledsoe February 5, 2014, 9:03 am

Have you ever considered Livescribe? Anything you write on the paper is copied digitally and then you don’t have to worry about saving the physical notebook.

• Tammy Strobel February 5, 2014, 10:35 am

Scott – I’ve never heard of Livescribe. It sounds awesome! I will check it out. 🙂

• Sally February 5, 2014, 11:14 am

Joan Didion on Keeping a Notebook

“We are well advised to keep on nodding terms with the people we used to be, whether we find them attractive company or not.”

• Sandra Pawula February 5, 2014, 3:56 pm

After taking your Writing in the Digital Age course, my journaling became so much richer and a wonderful resources for my writing. Thanks for sharing your tips here.

• Roxane February 5, 2014, 7:17 pm

Funny – I was just thinking about whether I should hold on to some of my old journals and whether to go completely digital with my future journals. It was good to see your perspective on journaling. Thank you for sharing it!

• Mitchell February 6, 2014, 12:27 pm

Good prompt! I think it’s time to write!

• Byron Friday @akaTGIF on Twitter February 9, 2014, 7:21 pm

Hi Tammy, the timing of this audio – Podcast came right when I needed it. I wonder if @SoundCloud has a RSS feed to your Podcast? Gonna check it out.

Spring is coming 😉