Damn, it’s cold!

Ice Ice Baby

Today, Logan and I recorded a brief conversation about the cold weather we’ve experienced over the last week. Click here to listen to the audio.

If you can’t listen to the podcast, below is a summary of our conversation:

• Over the last week, the temperature has been freezing and ranged between a low of −9 degrees and a high of 30 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • We ordered a new heater and it arrived after the temperatures started to drop. The first day we tried to use the heater, our community lost power, which is problematic because we use an electric heater. Thankfully, my in-laws (our awesome neighbors) let us warm our cold bodies by their wood stove.
  • I have a small winter wardrobe, which keeps me warm and cozy. I’ve written about my tiny wardrobe previously. The core items are the same. However, I’ve added two sweaters, two cardigans, one merino wool shirt, and additional socks to my core list.

I hope you are staying warm out there.

• AJ December 11, 2013, 4:30 pm

Great post. I’m also a fan of bundling up and letting the house stay cool. It seems to be a very ‘American’ thought-process that the house has to be at 75deg when it’s snowing out. 🙂

AJ | TheAJMinute

• Debby December 11, 2013, 6:17 pm

Oh my gosh! It was so great to hear the two of you talkin! I’m always interested in how you guys live with your in your minimalism. I totally understand about your back Tammy. I have similar problems with mine. In the winter time I find myself tensing up because I’m cold and it my muscles tense up and everything starts to hurt. Hang in there kids, its supposed to get warmer soon. Please consider doing another podcast this was great.

• San December 12, 2013, 4:37 am

Fab podcast you make a great talk team! I looked at your wardrobe link so thanks for sharing Tammy. I must look into merino wool undergarments!

Blessings

San/woolly wanderer!

• John December 12, 2013, 12:53 pm

If you were building the same house with the intent of living in Canada or Alaska, how would you have designed the house differently? Are you a fan of tiny houses designed with SIP’s for this application? What about heating? Thanks.

• Logan December 12, 2013, 2:46 pm

Hi John,

We’d likely have more insulation, fewer windows, and heat tape on our pipes. SIP panels are a great technology. We have never used SIPs but have heard about the tiny house application in Brian’s Minim house at Boneyard Studios. Be sure to ask advice from tiny house folks that have already adapted to colder climates like Ethan Waldman at Cloud-Coach.net in Vermont.

Cheers,
      L

• Kaylin Lydia December 12, 2013, 1:13 pm

This winter is unusually cold in mild South Jersey. I am a New Englander and have gotten by in those area with fleeces and clogs, my Connecticut winter wear being long gone. But I think I really may need to surrender and buy some warm water proof boots. I can’t stand these wet feet anymore! Stay warm!

• Darris December 12, 2013, 2:31 pm

Keeping my body warm is key. Even if the house is warm I can stay chilled if I’m not properly dressed. If my body temperature drops, I sit on a heating pad and that’s usually all it takes for my body to warm up. I also stick the heating pad in the bed to warm it up before I get in. I don’t want an electric blanket nor do I want to sleep with the heating pad on all night. I just use it to take off the cold edge ~ it works like a charm!

It makes sense that you “throw out” your back when you’re cold Tammy. We tense up our bodies, our muscles, when we’re cold which can, and often does, lead to strained/pulled muscles.

Take good care!

• Anne-Marie December 12, 2013, 6:35 pm

Yes, damn it’s been cold! I have been here for 16 years and not experienced this kind of cold until now. We’ve had occasional days but not this long period of time.
    I only have electric heat in the rental I am in and I was not getting above 60 most of the days. It was usually in the high 50s inside. That gets a bit cold after a while but I had many layers on and a thick fleece blanket.
    I think Montague has been the coldest place in this area. They have broken record after record.

• Crazy sexy fun traveler December 13, 2013, 6:03 am

What a lovely photo 🙂 It’s cold in Slovakia where I am right now too. Dislike button!

• Christina December 18, 2013, 9:05 am

Nice little chat! My back also seizes up when it gets cold. It’s key that I have warm items around my lower back and core.

This is also the first year I went to a chiropractor. I’ve avoided them for years, but my doctor is incredible and showed me how to strengthen the muscles around the spine. Tammy, have you thought about going to see one? What most back issues are is old scar tissue that needs to be broken up with ultrasound and some physical therapy or it will keep coming back.

• Carola December 25, 2013, 9:00 am

I really enjoyed your Tiny House Talk. Great to listen to you both.