A Photo Essay: Castle Crags

Yesterday my step-dad, Mahlon, would have turned 71 years old. When Mahlon was healthy, he loved going on long weekend hikes with his friends. He also loved camping and being outside. So on Saturday, Logan and I hiked the Castle Crag trail to celebrate Mahlon’s birthday and life. It was an eight mile round-trip hike that led to stunning views of the Crags, Castle Dome and Mt. Shasta. Mahlon would have loved it!

I wish Mahlon could have been with us yesterday, but I know he was there in spirit.

Enjoy the photos!

The beginning

IMG_4414

on top of the world with Logan

On top of the world!

Castle Crags State Park

Mt. Shasta hiding behind the crags

Caste Crags

The end of the trail

P.S. The photos above were taken with my iPhone 5s.

• Elizabeth November 17, 2013, 10:31 am

Wow! How beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photos and the remembrances of your beloved stepfather.

• Heather November 17, 2013, 11:05 am

What was the temperature and high?

• Tammy Strobel November 17, 2013, 12:09 pm

@Heather – I’m not sure. The morning low was 25 degrees and by mid-day it was probably in the high 40s or 50s. You can read more about the climb here.

• Heather November 18, 2013, 1:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. Looked like a great day for a walk and a nice way to remember someone special.

Interesting programme on BBC radio 4 about the giant sequoia trees (9pm Monday ‘Shared Planet’) if you are interested.

• Martha "Mat" Sanborn November 17, 2013, 11:24 am

Just stunning!

• Martina November 17, 2013, 11:52 am

It’s moving how you honour the memory of Mahlon. I am convinced he was there with you!
    Doing things a lost family member enjoyed helps, doesn’t it? There are occasions I feel really close to my father even if he can’t be there with me anymore. And sometimes I think he keeps on living in this way.
    Love your blog!!!

• Tammy Strobel November 20, 2013, 9:35 am

So true, Martina. I think he was there with us too. And yes, doing things Mahlon enjoyed helps a great deal.

• Allison November 17, 2013, 12:23 pm

Wow, those are breathtaking photos, Tammy! Amazing that they were taken with an iPhone 5 camera. Of course, the composition is all your talent. Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful way to honor your step-dad.

Best,
    Allison

• Sandra Pawula November 17, 2013, 6:27 pm

These are stunning. It’s reassuring that there’s such beauty still remaining in this world.

• Tammy Strobel November 20, 2013, 9:36 am

Sandra – Siskiyou County is stunning. It’s one of the largest, and least populated, counties in CA. There is so much scenery to see! 🙂

• shanna November 17, 2013, 6:48 pm

Beautiful and touching, Tammy. A perfect celebration of Mahlon’s life and spirit!

• Gina, book dragon November 17, 2013, 11:01 pm

Wow! Just beautiful

• Jill Salahub November 18, 2013, 9:36 am

What a great way to remember him! And p.s., I am loving your photo essays.

• Tammy Strobel November 20, 2013, 9:36 am

Thanks Jill! It’s been fun posting the essays. 🙂

• Delicia November 18, 2013, 9:40 am

What a special celebration of his life and all he was to you and your family. Stunning photos Tammy. Hugs x

• Laura November 18, 2013, 10:02 am

Hi, Tammy-

I really enjoy following you and all the links you provide. My girlfriend and I camped at Castle Crag the weekend of the 9th, after visiting the Sacramento and Delevan Wildlife Preserve. I took many photos (with my 4s, I hope to trade up to the 5s soon) and some are of the same places and angles as yours!

We have family in Ashland, OR and are in your neck of the woods quite often. I think of you when we drive by Mt. Shasta. Thank you for sharing your life with us. It’s inspiring, entertaining and informative!

Blessings,
    Laura

• Tammy Strobel November 20, 2013, 9:41 am

Super cool, Laura! Let me know when you roll through the area. It would be fun to meet-up for coffee.

Cheers,

• Natalie November 18, 2013, 10:39 am

That is a ridiculously beautiful place! What a great memorial to him. Your photos are also excellent. 🙂

• Stacey November 18, 2013, 1:03 pm

What totally gorgeous pictures. I was just talking with a friend today about how I am torn about my camera usage. I use only my iPhone because I understand it and because it is with me all the time. I often wonder though if I would enjoy using a ‘real’ camera. When I see shots like these though I feel pretty good about continuing on with my phone! And by the way, I have been inspired by your Photo Essay posts and posted something similar today- although our landscapes were far less glorious!

• Anne-Marie November 18, 2013, 1:06 pm

What a beautiful hike! It was a long time since I visited Castle Crags.
    Great place to remember your step-dad.

• Janet November 18, 2013, 4:28 pm

What a beautiful place and a great way to honour your step-dad! Thank you for sharing.

• Piggywhistles November 18, 2013, 6:00 pm

Beautiful pictures and a lovely tribute to Mahlon. What a beautiful way to remember his birthday and celebrate his life. Next year it will be 50 years since my beloved father died when I was 10. Usually we just let the day pass but you have given me a great idea of how to mark this. Thanks Tammy.

• Tammy Strobel November 20, 2013, 9:48 am

I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I’m glad my post was helpful. 🙂

• Kelvin November 19, 2013, 10:15 pm

Absolutely amazing pictures. Still hard to believe it’s with a phone camera. Thanks for sharing his memory with us all.

• Tammy Strobel November 20, 2013, 9:41 am

Thanks Kelvin – The camera in the iPhone 5S is amazing! 🙂

• TanyaVyas November 19, 2013, 11:38 pm

Wow!! Really Superb!! Fantastic!! Stunning pics. You have beautifully mentioned the photo essay.

• varuni November 20, 2013, 4:15 am

they are simply breathtaking . thanks for sharing them with us

• Michelle November 21, 2013, 3:13 pm

These pictures are absolutely stunning!

• Christina November 26, 2013, 12:35 pm

Amazing photos and location. I will have to make it up there soon.