Enjoy the Process

Mt. Shasta at sunset

It’s been over two weeks since we moved back to the ranch and I’m happy to be here. I love the stunning views of Mt. Shasta and watching the wildlife outside my front door. For instance, a few days ago I looked out my window and two fawns were playing about ten feet away from my doorstep. Then, one of the babies snuck around to the side of the house to munch on leaves and grass. I wouldn’t be able to see these kinds of scenes in the city and that’s why I love living here. It’s peaceful and I feel connected the landscape.

We lived on the ranch previously, but I’m still adjusting to our new routine. Making adjustments to my daily routine reminds me to enjoy the process — with work, life, and hobbies. As Nancy Mairs noted, “One can’t be an expert in process. By its very nature process can’t be mastered. Because it’s not finished. And who knows what will happen next?”

I wholeheartedly agree with Maris. You never know where you’ll end-up because life is constantly changing. I don’t know much, but I do know that engaging in simple activities like going for a walk, writing in my journal, taking photos, and reading a good book enables me to deal with change. After moving so much this year, I’ve had to remind myself to enjoy the process. Life is an adventure and there is always some something to learn.

How do you cope with change? Please leave a comment below.

A few reminders . . .

• Writing in the Digital Age” is open for registration! The course begins on October 7, 2013 and I hope you’ll join us for the fall session. If you are interested in taking my writing course, be sure to sign-up because this is the last time I will offer the live session.

• Dan Garner September 25, 2013, 4:40 pm

I’ve moved four times in four years and I am getting ready to spend a few years on the road in a motorhome. Constant change can take it’s toll. I think that you’re right on target by focusing on simple routines like walking, etc… Another tip is to focus on the present and not to let your mind wander and start worrying about the future. Planning is good – worry is wasteful.

Dan

• Joelle September 25, 2013, 6:04 pm

When I think of the changes our family went through this year (moving, new job, new baby), some of the things we did to cope with these drastic (but very good) changes were: making new friends, spending lots of time together as a family, and getting excited about new possibilities now available to us. When it comes to the hard aspects of change (i.e. sleepless nights with a newborn), relying on others, letting go of perfection, and taking a nap come to mind 🙂

• Elizabeth September 25, 2013, 6:13 pm

I deal with stressful change by curling up on my sofa with a book from our library. A few pages in, with a glass of wine in hand, I forget everything. Lately I’ve found it’s the only thing that takes my mind completely off my own life and onto something else. My heartbeat slows, my stomach stops hurting, my mind settles, and I’m transported. I thank God I was a geeky little bookworm when young — it stands me in good stead today.

• Susan September 26, 2013, 6:46 am

Hi Tammy,
    Thankful you are feeling better now. Your location looks like a wonderful place to live and like you I enjoy scenic mountain views and the wildlife. Here in Colorado it is abundant and walking is therapeutic for body and mind. I enjoy your blog and look forward to what you have to say about life in general. Keep up the good work.
    My husband and I have moved 27 times over the past 40 years and I must say it has been hectic at times but always an adventure I would not have changed it for anything. The Lord has blessed us with many friends from all over the the southeast and now in Colorado. I am sorry to say my way of coping is not popular and not one of the latest fads. Trusting in my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ has been my way of dealing not only with moving but loving the life He has given me.
    I must admit I have more stuff than a lot of folks but less than most. Each time we move it has allowed us the opportunity to downsize and that is a good feeling.
    Thanks again for sharing your life and being honest with the ups and downs.
    I always look forward to your next entry!
    Love to you and Logan,
    Susan

• Terri September 26, 2013, 7:01 am

I think I try to deal with it the same way you are, by finding comfort in the familiar and in routines and activities that make me happy. Your post comes at a great time, as I feel like I am kind of going through the same thing, trying to work through the process. You might want to read a book I’ve just come across, by someone named Jeff Goins. It’s titled “The In-Between: Embracing the Moments Between the Now and the Next Big Thing.” (I know right now, Logan is looking for that perfect position for using his Ph.D.)

Your love for the area and its beauty are always evident in your photos.

• Kayla Dawn Thomas September 26, 2013, 9:37 am

I don’t handle change very well, but writing, running, and reading help me cope. Seems as the years go by, the process gets a little easier.

• janet September 26, 2013, 10:09 am

I too, have gone through tremendous change: some changes have been exciting, others not so much. I remind myself to stay in the Present and if it’s a particularly difficult change, I say to myself ‘Janet, it could be worse!’ Attitude is everything.
    Tammy, I love the view in your ‘backyard.’ Nature is so therapeutic.
    Janet

• Kathy September 26, 2013, 10:12 am

It’s always wonderful to be in the present…enjoying each day as a treasure and not becoming focused on the future and all the fear it could bring. I’m learning this lesson by being content with what I have, trusting the Lord to reveal Himself within me.

• Amanda Bretz September 26, 2013, 11:20 am

I’ve learned to embrace change and just lean into it. I used to try to fight change of any kind. It just made me nervous, that fear of the unknown. The last five or six years of my life have been filled with moves, job losses, family illnesses, death of loved ones and financial struggles. Because I have lived through all that and came out stronger than I was before, I’ve come to an understanding that is very much like the place it sounds like you’re at with change. It’s a part of life, and there’s no way to avoid it, I can look at change and find ways to learn from it.

• Keeley September 26, 2013, 11:24 am

Such a beautiful picture! Enjoy the scenery; so many of us would love to live there and can’t…so please enjoy it on our behalf. =)

• Barry W. Morris September 26, 2013, 1:23 pm

It’s good to know you are adjusting to your old/new environment. I regret not getting up to Chico to see you and Logan before you moved, but it looks like a much more scenic ride to where you are now. 🙂 I recall driving through the Lassen National Volcanic Park a number of years ago and have been thinking about riding north for my next solo ride. As always, great photos of your home. Best wishes to you and Logan.

• Tammy Strobel September 26, 2013, 2:36 pm

Thanks Barry! You should come visit us sometime. The area is great for cycling and riding a motorcycle too! 🙂