6 Weeks Later: Self Care & Simplicity

this week's view

I injured my back in mid-July and I’m finally easing into my daily routine with significantly less pain. I’ve learned many valuable lessons over the past six weeks, especially the power of taking care of my body and mind. While I was injured, moving and writing were incredibly painful and as a result I had to revisit my self-care plan.

I couldn’t ride my bike or walk long distances, but I was able to start small by doing gentle exercises at home and walk in a therapy pool. Movement, especially walking in the pool, helped me heal and focus on positive emotions. I also focused on reading, being patient with my recovery process, and photography. Taking photos enabled me to focus on something outside of me, other than my pain.

Life in the Tiny House

Over the years, I tried to be clear that living in a tiny house isn’t perfect or easy. No living situation goes without challenges. For example, convalescing in the little house was difficult. I wasn’t able to climb up and down the loft ladder for three weeks after I injured myself. However, I’m glad we designed our house with a pull out bed on the main floor because that’s where I slept and spent most of my time during July and August.

A lot of folks have asked me if we will live in the tiny house forever. Honestly, I don’t know. Life is constantly changing and the tiny house works for us now. I don’t foresee Logan and I upsizing anytime soon. Yet, if our needs shifted I could see us moving into a small apartment or cottage. In the grand scheme of things, the type of house I live in doesn’t matter. A house won’t take care of me when I’m ill or injured. Relationships trump things, including beloved tiny houses.

Parting Words

My summer didn’t unfold the way I expected. However, I’m grateful for my flexible work schedule. As a self-employed writer, photographer, and teacher I made time to take care of myself.

And, my injury reaffirmed how important it is to be grateful for tiny beautiful moments and my loved ones. It’s also caused me to reevaluate where I want to go with my little business and where we want to live (more on this soon). I don’t have any firm answers and that’s okay. Asking questions and being grateful is a good start.

• Lisa Denny August 26, 2013, 11:19 am

I’m glad you’re on the mend! Continued best wishes!

• Christy King August 26, 2013, 4:55 pm

Glad you’re feeling better! Concerns about getting around as we’re older mean that instead of planning to downsize to a “tiny house,” we just want a small house. All one level, no loft, wide doorways and hallways, a big shower with seat. Still don’t want EXCESS but we don’t want to have to move just because one of us needs a walker or wheelchair.

• michelle August 26, 2013, 5:02 pm

So glad you are finally on the mend. (:
    I follow your instagram and have been loving your work.

• Chris Baskind August 26, 2013, 9:51 pm

> Relationships trump things, including beloved tiny houses.

Or bikes, or minimalism, or gadgets, or any of our other idols. Thanks for the reminder.

• Delicia August 27, 2013, 2:23 pm

So happy you are feeling better. I loved reading your post and in particular thank you for the beautiful reminder that relationships trump many things. I wish you continued good healing. Love and light x

• Cynthia August 27, 2013, 4:29 pm

So glad to hear you’re beginning to feel better. “Relationships trump things”, oh how very true! Needs shift and things change, the key is to be flexible and change with them, keeping in mind what’s really important. Looking forward to reading about your future adventures and seeing more beautiful photos 🙂

• Darris August 27, 2013, 6:14 pm

Thank you for sharing all of the positive things that came out of your painful and difficult circumstances . . . also great to hear you’re on the mend and easing back into daily life.

I’m curious about about your new business and living ideas as well when you’re ready to share.

I can’t wait for class to start!

Take good care . . .

• Pavel - Desirable World August 28, 2013, 4:21 pm

“A lot of folks have asked me if we will live in the tiny house forever. Honestly, I don’t know. Life is constantly changing and the tiny house works for us now. I don’t foresee Logan and I upsizing anytime soon.”

I think the best approach for most things is to not use words like “forever”. My future move to the country – I put an offer in on land yesterday! – and building a tiny house has triggered a lot of questions and even more snide insinuations. At the end of the day, things can change. The people that will benefit from charge are those that are open to it. I am open to it. I am an adapter. As I wrote yesterday, you need to “Adapt to Your Situation”: http://desirableworld.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/adapt-to-your-situation/

• Mrs. Leal August 28, 2013, 7:58 pm

Hi Tammy,
    I recently read your book about happiness. Thank you for the inspiration ;). I suffer from back pain and when I read your post about your injury I wanted let you know about Dr. Sarno’s book, “healing back pain”. I have been suffering from back pain for 5 years now. I have been getting worse every year. I saw a doctor and nothing seem to be physically wrong with my back, but I will have horrible pain in the morning and in the middle of the night. After reading Dr. Sarno’s book a few weeks ago, I started feeling better. I still suffer from pain once in a while but it getting better.

Take care,
    Mrs. Leal

• Ralph (rj) August 29, 2013, 2:19 am

Am glad you’re on the mend. Illness sometimes clarifies our priorities, teaching us to sort out what truly sustains–family, friends, wise counsel, good deeds; no less, the supreme promise of every new day and the importance of living in the Now.

rj