Wish you were here . . .

Central Park

The Met

Looking up

The Met rooftop garden

drinks with Gerri

My morning view: traveling to Boston and then onto Vermont for the Tiny House Fair

Yesterday, we took a red-eye flight from Sacramento to New York City. We didn’t sleep much on the plane, but decided to forgo an afternoon nap and explore New York. We spent the afternoon walking in Central Park, admiring the paintings and sculptures in The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and taking hundreds of photos.

Before we left Red Bluff, I decided not to bring my Nikon D5000 to the east coast. Instead, I’m taking photos with my iPhone. I did something similar when I went to Portland earlier this year and loved the experience. I tell my students that they can capture everyday magic without a big and expensive DSLR and my recent trips have reaffirmed that belief. The iPhone camera is a fantastic tool and it’s shown me that photography isn’t about the type of camera I own.

Today, we are traveling by train to Boston and from there we will be heading to Waitsfeild, Vermont for the Tiny House Fair. Logan and I are excited to speak at the fair and I can’t wait to take more photographs!

Next week, I’ll share an essay about my travels on the blog. Stay tuned!

Wish you were here,

P. S. Everyday Magic: a photography mini-course is open for registration! Join us for the July session!

• Sarah June 13, 2013, 11:24 am

amazing photos!!!! perhaps i should invest in an iphone rather than a fancy cam……although the chances of me breaking an iphone are probably the same as the chances of me losing said camera on it’s first trip out 😉

• DarrenKeith3 June 13, 2013, 12:33 pm

I don’t know what Apple put in their “secret sauce” when it comes to the iPhone camera but all I know it takes WONDERFUL photos. In all honesty, the photographer, YOU, makes the magic happen with your photos. Have a Fun, Safe, and Productive time in Boston. 🙂

• Anne June 13, 2013, 3:03 pm

Hi Tammy. My husband, Alan, and I are heading up to VT tomorrow to see friends and go to the Tiny House Fair! We’re so excited and looking forward to meeting you and Logan and learning more about tiny houses! We’re only bringing our iPhone cameras!

Xo Anne

• Lisa June 14, 2013, 1:37 am

You are very right about the camera. The most important tools when taking pictures are our eyes! And they are for free! 🙂 You have to see things, really see them, before you can make a great picture. An expensive camera won’t help with that!
    (And YOU obviously have the eye for great images!)

• Lyle Robinson June 14, 2013, 6:34 am

I was going to say pretty much what Lisa said in her comment. Photography is indeed more about the individual than the equipment. Mind you, good gear, along with a great eye, can be a stunning combination. Enjoy your travels and looking forward to reading your thoughts next week. All the best.

Lyle

• Mopsa June 14, 2013, 8:13 am

Tammy, the New York landscape photos are stunning!
    I also love photography, but for now just own a very simple Canon point and shoot. And I agree, we don’t need sophisticated cameras to take beautiful pictures. This post can be used as evidence 😛
    Keep enjoying your traveling adventures 😉

• ikuko June 14, 2013, 8:18 am

Nice photos! I’ve been to MMA and other parts of Manhattan (I live in NJ, but NYC is 5-10min away just across the Hudson River), taken pictures at the same spots. It’s interesting to see people take totally different pictures at the same spot or same subject!

I have PEN but I don’t carry around all the time.
    iPhone4S is always with me, and take 98% of the pic with it.
    I’m so conformable with using it as my primary camera… I’m not planning to change my phone anytime soon.
    BTW I signed up your upcoming e-course and counting days to start!

I’m glad you got a chance to capture blue sky and walk around – before getting mad rain evening.
    Travel safe –

• Anne-Marie June 14, 2013, 10:07 pm

Central Park is such a wonderful park. And the “Big Apple” is quite a city. Have been there once many years ago and the “pulse” was intense. 🙂
    Hope your Tiny House Fair goes well!
    Have a safe trip back to the west coast.

• Angela June 16, 2013, 9:42 am