Dispatches from Red Bluff: Travel Plans & Dreams

Red Bluff

Temperatures in Red Bluff have been over 100 degrees this week and according to my Yahoo! weather app it will be 113 degrees on Saturday! I grew up in Red Bluff, but I forgot how HOT the valley is. I’m grateful that my mom has a pool. I’m grateful for our tiny air conditioner because it’s kept our little abode cool. And I’m grateful we are heading back to the ranch this weekend to house-sit. Hopefully, it will be cooler in Little Shasta.

Since the afternoons have been so bloody hot, I’ve been hiding out in the tiny house working, journaling, and reflecting. We are half-way through 2013 and it’s the perfect time to reflect on your goals and dreams. If you aren’t sure where to start here are a few ideas:

• Conduct an annual review. Here’s how.
  • Turn off the computer and take a long walk.
  • Create space for some alone time and write in your journal.

Yesterday, I reviewed my 2013 goals and dreams. And, I’m on the right track! I’m focusing on what matters to me like writing, photography, spending time with family, and traveling. For example, the month of June will be full of travel adventures. We are visiting family in New York City, speaking at the Tiny House Fair in Vermont, and at the end of June we are moving to Chico.

In preparation for our upcoming adventures, I’m completing work projects in advance. For instance, I’m finalizing my summer photography course — Everyday Magic. This mini-course is a condensed version of my three-week class. If you want to learn photography basics or need to infuse your photography practice with new ideas, register on Monday, June 10th.

Are you traveling this summer? Dreaming big? Or taking lots of photos? Tell me about your summer plans in the comments section.

• Jill June 6, 2013, 9:42 am

Travel plans include a week at a cabin with friends in Maine and celebrating my 50th birthday with 6 friends on the shores of Lake Michigan. And my 2 oldest are planning moves to Boston and Colorado so it looks as if I may be travelling to these areas also! Try to keep cool in the next few days – we had several days of 109 last summer in SC so I understand. I don’t always like to use my air conditioner but sure am thankful for it when the temps are that high!

• Maria Northcutt June 6, 2013, 10:00 am

Sounds like you’re having a wonderful summer ahead of you!

This summer I’m focusing on spending time with my children (my husband plans on working a lot, therefor I will make sure the kids have a n awesome summer). I’m planning on taking them camping in different places. One of my other goals is to get a few hundred miles under saddle on my young horse Trigger. AND of course I’m going to take lots of photos 🙂
    /Maria

• Marla June 6, 2013, 10:03 am

Blogs are stories in progress, and I have really been enjoying yours. Thanks for all the inspiration, art and connections to the world beyond. Marla

• Sandra Pawula June 6, 2013, 11:19 am

I wish you a rich journey! I had dreams of a very lazy and quiet summer, but the pot is being stirred instead in various ways. I’m looking at how I can work with what’s emerging with ease.

• michelle June 6, 2013, 12:24 pm

Always great to hear of other people succeeding with their goals and dreams, Way to go Tammy!
    This summer I’ve got the month of August booked off – hopefully a short adventure to the east coast of Canada will be in order. In the meantime, happily putting my nose to the grindstone when it comes to creative projects – am feeling a big push of momentum and a little braver about sharing this other side of myself with others.

• Linda June 6, 2013, 1:12 pm

I’ve just come back home from a 4 day holiday by the coast. We were lucky to have beautiful weather the whole time. We surfed, ate ice cream, went for walks, and relaxed by the tent. It was lovely.

Have a couple of other trips lined up, next month, and then September. Money is tight, so we are focussing on enjoying England, and exploring it with fresh eyes.

Love reading about your adventures, Tammy.

• Nancy Thompson June 6, 2013, 2:42 pm

June 21st (the summer solstice) is the day my son Mitchell and his partner Nicholette begin to build their own tiny house. They are ready and very excited and so am I. I am proud to watch them take charge of their own dream of living simply and creating their own happiness. I would love it if you checked out their blog http://www.ourtinyhome.us to give them a “high five” and some words of wisdom. I found your blog and classes through them. It is very very tiny world indeed. Enjoy your summer travels. Nancy

• Mitchell June 6, 2013, 4:14 pm

Hi Tammy-

Dreaming big and taking risks is the theme of the Summer. We take a lot of daily inspiration from a local band “Medicine for the People” who have a song called “risk it”. In the main line of the song Nahko sings “So if you think you can risk it, what an opportunity to be free of it!”

We don’t quite know where all this is taking us, but we are taking comfort in the fact that whatever we’re doing feels right for now.

Thanks for your inspirations! And for being another positive force pushing people to dream big and experience their true joys.

Thanks again,
      Mitchell and Nicholette

• Ikuko June 7, 2013, 3:42 pm

That’s so cool!

• Klaus Gottschalk June 6, 2013, 11:29 pm

End of August I will cycle with my three sons from Vienna to the Black Sea. Some years ago we cycled from the Danube spring to Vienna. It was great. The continuation over a distance of 1500 miles will take about five weeks. We will see old towns founded by the Romans or the Ottomans, nature-sanctuaries and great landscapes. Above all we will enjoy to share such a lot of time.

• Ikuko June 7, 2013, 3:55 pm

I love taking photos since I was little… I’m excited and soooo ready for signing up your upcoming photo e-course!

In two weeks, I will travel San Francisco & Portland (OR) – both for the first time! Thanks to my kids making it happening – they will be home taking care of our dog & themselves. Thanks to Tammy – things started rolling, and it seems like I’ll be able to hook up with the PAD staff during my stay.

Rest of my summer will be “work work” at work, and “de-clutter” at home. LOL

Enjoy your travel to east coast!

• Kaylin Lydia June 10, 2013, 4:05 pm

NYC and Vermont?! – what great fun! I love love Vermont. I just entered a Tiny House Raffle that was in Vermont, sadly I did not not win but I guess it was not meant to be. Anyway, I am curious to know what type of air conditioner you use in your fabulous tiny space… Have a good day!

• Tammy Strobel June 11, 2013, 8:14 am

Hi Kaylin – Our air conditioner is made by Frigidaire; a 5000 BTU size. It’s the smallest they make.