Everyday Magic: Why I Journal

{Every week, I run a photography series called “Everyday Magic.” Enjoy!}

Today, I recorded a brief audio blog about journaling. Listen in here:

In the audio, I mentioned:

• Stacy Mora April 15, 2013, 9:28 am

So very cool to see that you can find room for creative life(material stuff-art/craft) while living in your tiny home.
    One of my thoughts about art and my tiny home is how to prioritize. What would I miss? Where do I do art? How can I continue to be creative? How Some of my thoughts are: rent a studio space, keep a few of the smaller art supplies in the storage-make easy to access, find ways to care for others fiber animals, etc…If you look at my blog you’ll see my diverse interests. Thanks for sharing your audio/visual. Love!

• Tammy Strobel April 15, 2013, 9:47 am

Hi Stacy – Thanks for leaving a comment. I’ll swing by your blog today! 🙂

Cheers,

• Emily April 15, 2013, 9:41 am

What beautiful pictures of your journals! Love that. I think I’m going to adopt the stamping idea, becuase your little cat stamp is so cute. I’m sure I could find something similar to add some flair to my journals.
    One of the things I do is different colored inks, and I love to put quotes in my journals, surrounded by squiggly lines. 🙂

• Tammy Strobel April 15, 2013, 9:50 am

Thanks Emily! I bought my kitten stamp for $1.00. It’s small and easy to store in the tiny house. It’s super fun adding flair to my journals. 🙂

• Maria Northcutt April 15, 2013, 10:10 am

I couldn’t live without my journal! The trickiest thing is to choose a beautiful journal, that is big enough for all my needs and still small enough so that I bring it with me!

Have a great day Tammy! As always, I really enjoy your posts.

~ Maria

• Tammy Strobel April 15, 2013, 10:13 am

Thanks Maria!!! I hope you have a lovely day too! xo.

• Angel Jem April 15, 2013, 4:05 pm

Love the journal…. The colour of the cover and the artwork are very restful.

• swalia April 15, 2013, 11:24 pm

love your journals…beautiful
    as for me, i just write in the journals & also jot down if i come across any beautiful quote…but seeing your journals, i think being a little creative & beautifying it a bit might work wonders to the whole experience!

• Seonag April 16, 2013, 7:39 am

Found your site today and enjoyed exploring! I am at the point in my life where I am starting to downsize with a view to retire from one job and transition to a new career hopefully in some connection to travel. You inspired me to declutter and remove some “stuff” today. Thanks for that!

• Tammy Strobel April 16, 2013, 8:46 am

Super! Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

• Margo Carroll April 18, 2013, 7:38 am

I find with my journaling (I use a smashbook) that I get overwhelmed if I try to use too many craft supplies to make it pretty on each page each time I journal. So once every month or few months, I pull out my crafty stuff and decorate up a bunch of pages ahead of time, but don’t journal in them. That way if I’m in a hurry or don’t have my crafty stuff with me the day I’m journalling I still have some pretty writing inspiration. I’m sure a lot of other folks use the same concept, but that’s how I make it pretty without having to sit down for two hours each time and make a mess of my house just for one page in my journal. My husband and I live in a tiny house too, so a little mess = a mess that takes up most of the house. 🙂

• Tammy Strobel April 18, 2013, 7:45 am

That’s a great idea Margo! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Tania April 18, 2013, 4:07 pm

I love your pictures and your journals. It’s funny, I’m in the midst of downsizing my life. I moved from a 2 story house to an 800 square foot studio attached to my parents’ home after my divorce and I think I may have designed it too well. My dad and I designed the layout before the add-on was built and the architect reviewed it and modified our design for code. So, I have a ton of efficient storage space but it’s filled. Now, I’m on the next stage where I’d like to see more empty space (just because I have good storage doesn’t mean I have to fill it). One thing I knew I wasn’t getting rid of was my paper craft supplies (it’s not much anyway). So, it’s nice to see a tiny home inhabitant still keeps crafty too. I’ll decrease my clothes to make room for the paper. I’ve already gotten rid of a shelf full of pants to make room for my photography gear and haven’t regretted it.

I’m halfway through your book now and enjoying it. I’m a new reader to your blog. I also work in finance but have struggled with consumerism/debt throughout my life so I find your story very relatable. I don’t think I’ll ever do a tiny home (I love my current space) but I never thought I’d toy with being a minimalist either so who knows what the future will hold.

• Tammy Strobel April 18, 2013, 6:07 pm

Hi Tania – Thanks for reading my book! Remember, you don’t have to live in a super small house to simplify. It’s all about prioritizing what matters to you. I say, yay for paper and photography gear! Also, your studio sounds like a beautiful space! 🙂

Best,

• Kayla April 19, 2013, 11:50 am

Found your blog randomly and was so surprised to see someone else who knows of The Bear in Chico! I went to college there and then ended up in Vancouver, WA just a little ways from Portland, OR. Too funny 🙂 I’m really enjoying your blog!

• Beth Bardino April 19, 2013, 12:23 pm

Tammy, your photos are so inviting, I feel as if I’m right there with you!