In My World . . .

Today, I have photos to share with you and a few updates. I’ve have a lot going on in my world and I’m not sure where to begin, so I’ll start with rodeo weekend.

The Red Bluff Round-up. My step-dad, Mahlon, loved the Red Bluff Round-up. He attended the round-up for years and he also sold rodeo programs to raise money for the Lions Club. Typically, my family gets together every year during the rodeo. Over the years it’s been a good excuse to have a party at the house and to see each other. This year was different. We didn’t have a big barbecue at the house, Mahlon wasn’t there being his normal jovial self, and my nieces and nephews weren’t running around the property. It felt really strange.

However, I did get to see my family at the rodeo. My step-brother purchased tickets for the family, which was super generous. I’m grateful that I had the chance to visit with my step-brother, step-sister, and the kids. But it was odd not having Mahlon around.

The Tiny House Move. In two weeks, we’ll be moving to my mom’s place in Red Bluff and later this summer we will make our way to Chico, CA, with the tiny house in tow. We found a sweet yard to rent in Chico and if all goes well, we’ll be able to move into the space in July. Red Bluff will be a great transition spot for us and it will be fun to help my mom with household projects.

Our little house is relatively easy to pack up and move, but it’s scary seeing the house go down the road. It’s built for travel, but moving always makes me anxious. To ease my anxiety, we are going to do a lot of fun things over the next few weeks. For example, we are planning a day trip to Scott Valley and I’m focusing on my work projects and photography.

For the full backstory about why we are moving, read these posts: Chico Bound | Finding a Parking Space | Sometimes I feel crazy.

e-Course + Writing Fun. Sunday was the last day of my photography e-course, Everyday Magic. I’m always sad when a course ends because I love teaching and getting to know the folks in my classes. I will be teaching my photography e-course again this summer. Based on constructive feedback from this group of students, I’m restructuring the course. Plus, my spring writing class is open for registration! It starts on May 6th. I hope you’ll join us.

In addition to revamping my e-courses, I’ve been pouring energy into my new book idea. I’m going to send my revised book proposal to my literary agent this week. Yippie!

Summer Travel: NYC + Vermont. In June, Logan and I will be speaking at the Tiny House Fair in Waitsfeild, Vermont. We are really excited about the trip! Originally, we were only going to spend the weekend in Vermont. However, after a lot of discussions we decided to visit New York City. My mom grew up in Albany, New York and we still have family in the area. It’s been four years since I’ve seen my relatives and I’m looking forward to spending time with them.

Parting words. Embracing change is hard for me, but it’s part of life. Instead of worrying about the move and work, I’m focusing on teaching, writing, and enjoying my last few weeks in Siskiyou County. As Gennifer Choldenko said, “Nobody knows how things will turn out, that’s why they go ahead and play the game . . . You give it your all and sometimes amazing things happen, but it’s hardly ever what you expect.”

P. S. Also, a few weeks ago Joel Zaslofsky interviewed me for “Smart and Simple Matters.” Listen to the episode by clicking here.

• Kylie April 22, 2013, 11:47 am

Oh, that’s so exciting that you’re visiting Vermont! I just went there for the first time last weekend, and I am so very smitten. There will be a million superb photography opportunities there for you.

And yay for visiting NYC! If you’d like restaurant recommendations, let me know. I pride myself on leading visitors to the very yummiest places in our city.

• Christine April 22, 2013, 11:47 am

Love the quote in the parting words. Have Faith.

• Paul April 22, 2013, 11:51 am

The dispersing contrails make it look like someone has marked the ranch with an x marks the spot. The spot for what, I couldn’t say, but maybe you can.

• Sandra Pawula April 22, 2013, 12:23 pm

Good luck with all your changes, Tammy. They sound like positive ones and I’m sure you will be happy once you get to the other side!

• Louise Krupski April 22, 2013, 12:53 pm

It’s fantastic that you have the amazing flexibility to be able to pack up your whole life and be where you want to be when you want to. I love my life in all its abundance but envy you your freedom. Embrace the change and good luck.

• Joel Zaslofsky April 22, 2013, 1:18 pm

Thanks again for the opportunity to record an episode of Smart and Simple Matters with ya, Tammy! And thanks for continuing to share your journey with us all, including the highs, lows, and everything in-between.

• Brandi April 22, 2013, 5:54 pm

Hi Tammy,

Just wanted to say best wishes on this journey, I have been following you since right before you moved to the ranch. I have the best time reading your adventures, thoughts and experiences thanks for “bringing us along for the ride” 🙂 … Can you expand on more of what lead ya to Chico? I know you’ve mentioned job opportunities for Logan and family as some reasons for locating to Chico but I also read Chico is the place ya met Logan… So did you live there before? Totally curious …:)

• Tammy Strobel April 22, 2013, 6:40 pm

Hi Brandi – Have you read this post? It explains the why behind our decision > http://rowdykittens.com/2013/02/chico/

In addition to more job opportunities for Logan, we love Chico. It’s a great little town that’s bike friendly. Also, we have family in Chico, it’s only a 45 minute drive to Red Bluff, and we went to CSU, Chico. 🙂

Thanks for reading,

• Aime Lopez April 22, 2013, 7:43 pm

This are really good news, the move, living some time with mama Cat, NEW YORK !!! (Total ENVYYY!!!) and MOST important is that you are visiting your Family…. we spend our lives just working and working and working, and forget to see our beloved ones, even that we don’t see them frequently, it is important from time to time give us a space and visit them… Family goes FIRST!!… and a hug from a cousin, aunt, uncle, niece, nefew…. worths more than money!!! :'(

I’m very happy for you and Mr. Loganator 🙂 I hope you have a good time!! 🙂 enjoy and embrase the change! 🙂

I’ll miss the pictures from the Beautiful Ranch, but I’m waiting to see gourgeous pictures from Chico 😉

Love & Harmony,

Aime Lopez.

• Sara April 22, 2013, 8:37 pm

Good luck on your adventure. Love the photo of your cat — your shoes bring out the blue eyes perfectly. Oddly, I have the same sneaks, but in purple. They are quite comfy. 🙂

• Anne-Marie April 22, 2013, 8:52 pm

Sounds like you have a lot going on but things seem to flow and open up. Great! Glad to hear that you have found a yard where you can put your tiny house.
    The only constant thing is change. 🙂

• Denise April 23, 2013, 10:14 am

Love the quote. Good luck to you and Logan on your upcoming adventures.

• Erin April 24, 2013, 7:54 am

Good luck with all your upcoming adventures. I love your blog, book, interviews….everything :)!
    If you are ever struggling for a topic to write about I would love to hear about your strategies for living in a rural area. I am continually working at living more simply but have found some road blocks in rural Montana and it seems like most of the advise out there is from urban living folks.
    Also, your pictures are beautiful.

• Molly April 25, 2013, 6:43 am

I second this. There is no way I could live in a city, or even a suburb. There isn’t as much about tiny living in rural areas where you can’t do things like go to the store every week, use a laundry mat or count on using public services in town. I’ve always figured I would need a small home, as opposed to tiny, when I am ready to build to be able to continue living in a rural area. Boy though do I want a house on wheels!

• Tammy Strobel April 26, 2013, 1:37 pm

Erin – Thanks for the comment. For me, there isn’t much about living simply that changes in a rural area. The transportation side of things is challenging. We’ve been doing more car-sharing and if we were going to stay here, I’d probably buy a car.

I also feel strongly that it’s important to know your neighbors and buy food in bulk. Knowing my neighbors gives me a sense of community and buying food in bulk saves money. But I was engaging in those activities in the city.

What road blocks have you experienced in Montana?

Wishing you all the best,

• Angela April 24, 2013, 10:27 am

All the best on your upcoming adventures!

I’ve really enjoyed your ranch photography – looking forward to your new captures (:

• Betsy April 24, 2013, 2:00 pm

Best wishes on your trip to Chico! I agree…its gotta be scary moving your house on those highways in California! I have made many moves in the last 2 years for family reasons too, so I know all the unsettled feelings you must be going thru with your recent & upcoming moves. My Dad (91) passed last July so I can understand your grieving process and fond memories as well. It’s such a mixed bag of emotions!! Change is scary, especially the older you get!! I have been experiencing the anticipation of that lately too. I may continue my career as a Civil Engineering Technician in the field of Sustained Living and Tiny Houses after I retire (scary!!) in October of this year. I am glad I locked in my reservation last week for the Tiny House Fair in Vermont because it just sold out today!! It will be nice to visit the YesterMorrow Design/Build School. I live in the Albany, NY area now, but will most likely move (scary because I am from this area!!) into Vermont or New Hampshire, especially since the Tiny House Movement is big in those areas right now and I may take some classes at YesterMorrow. Hope to meet you at the Fair…and at some point after retirement I plan to take your Writing & Photography classes. Those are my fortes too 🙂

• Tammy Strobel April 24, 2013, 4:34 pm

Hey Betsy – Thanks for your sweet comment. I’m sorry to hear about your dad. Your comment reaffirmed some of the emotions I’ve been feeling lately. I’m sure we’ll met at the fair! Can’t wait to connect! 🙂

xo,

• Tania April 24, 2013, 5:14 pm

Those sweet furry faces! I never understood until recently why tiny homes were so tiny (versus just small like my home) but now I get it. It’s so you can pick up and move. How wonderful to spend time with your mother but still get to live in your own home. I live on an island so the whole house on wheels thing wouldn’t even have occurred to me since we can’t roll very far anyway.

You have an enviable lifestyle girl. I’d be nervous about heading down the highway too, completely understandable. Best of luck on your upcoming road trips.

• Tod April 25, 2013, 5:49 am

Hey Tammy,
    Have been following you for years, the blog, photos & book all great! Take it from one who’s spent his life moving around the country, every move you make gets easier and more exciting. Change for me has become a required part of my life — I was made nervous by it when I was young, and now I’ve learned to thrive on it. It can easily become addictive. There’s so much world and so many people to connect to out there, I hope I never stop welcoming change into my life — I think it’s helping to keep me young in spirit! Thanks for sharing your life so openly with the rest of us, and have fun on this new part of your life journey…
    Tod

• LG April 26, 2013, 3:50 pm

I cannot wait for the Yestermorrow Fair. I’ll be there with bells on, and cannot wait for the weekend — it’ll be the first time I set foot in a tiny house, and hopefully a catalyst for one of my own. Happy to hear you’ll be making a trip of it with Albany and NYC, they’re both practically my backyard — we’ve got some fun stuff to do out in this neck of the woods 🙂