Everyday Magic: Tiny House Fun

{Every week, I run a photography series called “Everyday Magic.” Enjoy!}

In 2012 — before we moved from Portland to Little Shasta — a crew from HGTV interviewed us for a television segment. The program aired on Extreme Homes a few months ago and it’s available to watch online! Check out the three-minute clip below or view the clip by clicking here.

Also, I organized my photo library last weekend and added more images to the tiny house photo gallery. You can view the gallery by clicking here.

And last but not least, I talked to my mom today about our upcoming move. She’s going to help us move the tiny house in May. She has a powerful truck — a Ford F350 — and I’m grateful she’s helping us move again. In early May, we’ll tow the house from Little Shasta to Red Bluff. Then in June or July, we will make the move to Chico; just in time for the summer heat. 🙂

I’m excited about the upcoming move to Chico, but I’m also sad to leave the ranch. My in-laws are wonderful neighbors and I’m going to miss seeing them everyday. However, it will be awesome to spend time with my mom and help her with household projects and it will be great seeing my brother and sister in-law more often.

In addition to the move, we have a few summer adventures planned. We’ll be speaking at the Yestermorrow Tiny House Fair, visiting a friend in Longview, WA, and hiking Mt. Lassen.

Cheers,

P.S. If you live outside the U.S., you might have problems viewing the HGTV video. A few readers from Mexico and Denmark told me they were unable to view the segment.

For the full backstory about our moving plans, read:

• Dawn Michelle @ Minimalist Beauty April 8, 2013, 2:53 pm

Hi Tammy,
    Thanks for sharing this segment from HGTV. What a WONDERFUL feature! My husband and I recently downsized to a smaller apartment this past January, and I hope that we will be able to downsize more over time. Your story is very inspiring and I wish you and Logan the very best of everything with your upcoming move and everything you desire!

• LG April 8, 2013, 3:46 pm

I’ll be at the Yestermorrow Fair, cannot wait!

• Brian April 8, 2013, 5:03 pm

Hi Tammy,
    Love the site; can you recommend a website or blog that deals with tiny houses, but maybe a size or two bigger than what you have?

• Alicia April 8, 2013, 5:18 pm

Oh, Yestermorrow in Vermont. I will be in the Calais area, near Montpelier, for my herbal class that weekend. Vermont is a beautiful state.

• Ian April 8, 2013, 5:50 pm

Hi – the video won’t play in Australia either – error message says it cannot be found.
    Cheers

• Natalie April 9, 2013, 9:22 am

Great Video!

• Liz V. April 9, 2013, 10:24 am

Gorgeous photo of your house in the snow. I love it.

• Paula April 9, 2013, 10:41 am

Hi Tammy-Great segment on your house. It’s lovely for you to have been able to spend the time you and L have on your in laws property. They’ll still be there if you want to go back! And now.. .exciting for you to follow the next step on your path to your moms and then on to Chico. What you’re doing is a perfect example to others of the flexibility one can find in their lives by simplifying and creating your life on your own terms.

• Tammy Strobel April 9, 2013, 1:43 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment Paula. I’m so grateful we have this little house. I’m excited that we’ll be able to help my mom. And you are right, we can always come back to the ranch. 🙂

• Trish April 9, 2013, 11:32 am

I’m so thankful to you and your husband! For all that you have shared and continue to share, and for doing this HGTV segment, my father and stepmother are finally supporting the Tiny House dream that I have for my family and me. Had they not seen you, they would have remained naysayers. THANK YOU!

• Tammy Strobel April 9, 2013, 1:43 pm

Super awesome!!! That makes me happy. Good luck!

• Barbara Techel April 9, 2013, 5:02 pm

LOVED the interview, Tammy! You and Logan are so cute together. Every time I see your tiny house it makes me smile and warms my heart.

• Anonymous April 9, 2013, 8:11 pm

We can’t see the segment here in Canada either. Too bad!

• Margo Carroll April 9, 2013, 9:15 pm

Hi Tammy,
    I love the video segment on your home. I also live in a tiny home, and feel that video often displays the total picture of the home much better than still shots do. I think it provides a better sense of scale. My husband and I have thought about asking someone to film our home for us for just that reason. I love the attention to detail in your home. You never appreciate the details so much as when you have them a few feet in front of you ALL the time! 🙂 I think living on a family member’s property would be such a great shared experience. We personally have had the amazing opportunity to park and live in our tiny on a rented space on a beautiful 2-acre property for the past 7 months, but boy does living that close to family sound lovely too.
    Keep up all of your lovely writing,
    Margo

• Diane April 10, 2013, 10:31 am

Yay! Great segment.

As much of a nuisance as moving is, I think it’s really great to see that a tiny house on wheels can be moved and can be used to support what you need out of your home at different stages. If you ever need to leave Chico, you’ll be able to be at home where ever you go.

It’s especially encouraging to know that you do not own a great big truck for towing your home. It makes the whole notion seem more accessible to realize that, at least for me.