My Adventures in Digital Downsizing

Today, I recorded a brief audio blog about digital downsizing. Listen in here:

In the audio, I mentioned the following resources:

Have you downsized your digital life? Share your story in the comments section.

• Dan Garner April 10, 2013, 11:00 am

I’ve really got to work on my digital clutter. I’m using Evernote as a primary tool, but I’ve got to get better with tags and labeling to make it easier to locate files.

Dan @ Zen Presence

• Stacy Mora April 10, 2013, 11:46 am

I have been working on downloading all my cds (100’s) onto my laptop this past month. I plan to transfer to my ipod.
    I love Pandora. However, when the internet is down or I am out of internet areas then this is useless.
    I also keep waiting for Pandora to start charging.
    So, I will keep some form of file for my cd’s as long as I can.
    Good information! Paying attention to clutter in our digital world. Another great tip.
    Thanks Tammy!

• anotherkindofdrew April 10, 2013, 12:25 pm

I have tried so hard lately to declutter my digital life. My biggest problem is that I am still lugging around 3 external hard drives. My music library is out of control as well. Oh gosh. Now I have another confession. I have a movie collection. I am pretty sure I will never watch any of them again. Why do I still have them? I just feel like the moment I get rid of them I will want to watch one. But I doubt. Oy!

• Pat in Eastern NC April 10, 2013, 1:03 pm

Oh dear. I thought my digital files were organized. It appears I’m worse than a digital packrat; I’m a digital hoarder. ACK!!! Must get busy and tackle this problem. Thank you for a wise and timely post, Tammy.

• SimplePursuit April 10, 2013, 8:37 pm

I’ve really cut back down on my music files. I noticed that I listen to the same album/artists so I saved only the ones that are in heavy rotation. I use Amazon to store my music files; they offer 250-song storage for free. It may seem such a small storage but I really analyzed what I was listening to and I haven’t listened to the other thousands on file, which made it easier for me to let go. Other than that, I use Pandora or IHeartRadio.

I also use Amazon’s free 5G storage for my educational files that I use for teaching.

I use twitter to save links to articles I would like to refer back later.

At this time, I use a dedicated email address to store some personal files (as attachments).

I have a DropBox account and have earned free storage by referral, but I have yet to use it. Transferring files has not been a priority.

I use my Costco account to store my digital pictures online. It’s free as long as you print one picture per year just to keep the account active. The disadvantage though is that they compress the size of the pics.

I would like to move everything to one place…perhaps that would be my to-do next month.

Thank you for always inspiring Tammy!!! =)

• Heather April 11, 2013, 11:14 am

Thanks Tammy, I was feeling over-loaded today and I realize that some of this was digital clutter!