Everyday Magic: Spark Your Imagination

{Every week, I run a photography series called “Everyday Magic.” Enjoy!}

Your imagination is the preview to life’s coming attractions. ~Albert Einstein

Over the last month, I’ve been sick twice. I felt poorly in late February and last week I was under the weather again. I haven’t been so ill in years and I’m still recovering. If I walk or cycle too far my legs feel like jello and coffee — my favorite beverage — tastes strange.

Since my activities have been limited, I’ve been journaling and reading blogs. Journaling helps me practice gratitude and reading blogs is one way I spark my imagination. For instance, on Sunday, I found a photo sharing app called backspaces. The app gives users the ability to tell stories with photos and words and it inspired me to keep writing, taking photos, and teaching.

What sparks your imagination? Share your tips in the comments section.

• Paul R March 18, 2013, 7:39 am

Usually music and sunsets.

• adrian March 18, 2013, 10:19 am

Hi Tammy,
    I’m one of the founders working on Backspaces and just wanted to say thanks for giving our app a try.
    I’d love to hear your thoughts on what we’re up to, and feel free to send me any feedback!

Thanks again for checking it out,
    Adrian (@sandersak)

• Tammy Strobel March 18, 2013, 11:24 am

@Adrian – Thanks for stopping by RK! So far I’m loving Backspaces. If I have any suggestions, I’ll send you a note. Keep up the awesome work!

• Kathleen Cassen Mickelson March 18, 2013, 1:04 pm

Other people’s photos, artwork, literature, the view out my own window – it all sparks my imagination. I think allowing ourselves to be inspired or thonked on the head by the awesomeness that is right in front of us is a habit we have to acquire.

• Darla March 18, 2013, 5:44 pm

Being outside. Paying attention. Regular visits to your lovely site!
    Hope you are continuing to mend and feel better after being sick. Take care.

• Caroline McGraw / A Wish Come Clear March 18, 2013, 7:26 pm

Hope you feel all the way better soon, Tammy! Sorry to hear that you were under the weather. Sending big hugs your way!

What sparks my imagination? Most frequently, travel, conversation with close friends (old and new), long walks, and beloved books. Oh, and sleep is also a vital component – for the rest, and also for the crazy dreams! 🙂

• Delicia March 19, 2013, 2:08 am

Nature, travel and sharing all spark my imagination, to name a few things. Hope you are feeling much better and the coffee is tasting good again! Sending you healing light. Lovely photos and words, Tammy. Looks like a fun app to try.

• Tammy Strobel March 19, 2013, 9:25 am

Thanks Delicia. I’m finally starting to feel better and coffee is tasting good again. I’m so grateful that I’m getting better. xo.

P.S. I LOVE your new blog. 🙂

• Delicia March 20, 2013, 9:06 am

Great to hear that and thanks so much for checking out my new blog 🙂

• Katrina March 19, 2013, 5:56 am

First off, I’m going to go completely off-topic and say that I discovered your book and am now obsessed with cleaning out my house of “stuff.” I was just in our kitchen and said to myself, “I haven’t used that wine holder since … wait. Have I ever used it?” And I’m becoming equally obsessed with the idea of a small house. With my husband being a musician by night/weekends and all of his equipment, I can’ t see how that could work, and yet I took comfort in your advice to just go slowly and see where smartsizing takes you. I just finished the book this morning and my husband has made noises about wanting to read it next, so I have my fingers crossed! 🙂

Regarding your quest for what sparks imagination:

One — a trip to Blick Art, an art supplies store in Boston. I almost never buy anything (I have all the supplies I need, which aren’t much), but seeing all the colors and ideas around me gets me jazzed to create something.

Two: art class. I’m taking an anatomy drawing course at local museum down the street from me. There’s something about going into the zone that makes me completely feel like me. It’s one of the few times when I’m completely absorbed with the task at hand.

Looking forward to exploring your blog and reading past and future posts!

• Tammy Strobel March 19, 2013, 9:23 am

@Katrina – I loved your inspiration list! Super awesome. And I’m so thrilled that you enjoyed the book. xo.

• Christina Neumann March 19, 2013, 8:11 am

Have you had a CBC blood panel done? You want to be sure your getting checked.
    Love the photos..

• Tammy Strobel March 19, 2013, 9:21 am

@Christina – No, I have a doctor appointment in mid-April. I’ll have a full check-up soon. 🙂

• Danielle March 19, 2013, 7:41 pm

Congrats! Loved the book!

• swalia March 20, 2013, 12:11 am

Hope you get well soon….blessings and prayers!
    Lovely pics as usual…My son is also interested in photography and I keep on passing your links and tips about photography to him….and he conveys his thanks and wishes you a speedy recovery.

• Sherry March 20, 2013, 12:00 pm

Oh Tammy that picture almost made me cry with it’s beauty. Hope you are feeling well now. I have chronic illness (fibromyalgia) and so I empathsize with anyone who is ill.

• Noel radian March 21, 2013, 7:39 am

When will you make your move?