Everyday Magic: Mini-adventures

{Every week, I run a photography series called “Everyday Magic.” Enjoy!}

Over the last few weeks, I’ve had cabin fever. We’ve been home bound because of the holidays and the dreadful weather. I love my routine at home. However, if I do the same thing everyday my writing and photography start to stagnate. To avoid this, I take frequent mini-adventures. Typically, my little adventures consist of exploring different cities or seeing something new in my hometown. Exposing myself to new experiences leaves me feeling refreshed, renewed, and inspired to pursue creative projects.

Last weekend, we took a spontaneous afternoon trip to Ashland, Oregon. We spent the afternoon exploring Lithia Park and downtown Ashland and had an amazing lunch at Sesame Asian Kitchen. I had a delicious pad thai, with duck, and a coconut thai ice tea. It was mouth-watering! After lunch, we walked around downtown and took lots photos! It was so fun! And I finally purchased some beautiful stationary for my letter writing habit.

Ashland is only a 45-minute drive from the ranch and I’m looking forward to going on lots of mini-adventures in Southern Oregon this year. Did you go on any fun adventures this weekend and have you planned any for 2013? Share your story in the comments section.

***

e-Course Update

My photography ecourse is sold-out and it began today. The next course will start in April, so if you couldn’t take the winter course there will be an opportunity to register in the spring. For those of you who signed-up, thank you! I love the community that forms with each class; it makes me happy.

Also, registration for my winter writing class is open! It starts on February 4th! I hope you’ll join us.

Learn about Writing in the Digital Age by clicking here.

• hav2sing January 7, 2013, 12:59 pm

Tammy ~ I love love the written word photo art! You’ve inspired me in so many ways. Ways that can’t (yet) be expressed. Thank You for sharing and being so transparent with us on the interweb ;-).

• Suzan January 7, 2013, 5:34 pm

Just finished reading your book today. I am going back and reread it because I know I missed things.
    Suzan

• Anne-Marie January 7, 2013, 10:25 pm

Did not go anywhere this weekend but I really like Ashland. Isn’t Lithia park a great and beautiful park? Ashland is such a different place compared to Siskiyou county. First time I visited Ashland was in 1997 (when I first came here) and I immediately felt some European “feel” to Ashland. You have to plan your trips though in the winter – don’t want to get stuck on the summit if it is snowing.

• Sandy January 8, 2013, 12:27 pm

I get stagnate from staying at home too long too. I’m having a hard time right now even seeing anything worth photographing for our photography course. I hate winter in Indiana so try to plan lots of experiences away. This month I am going to Fredricksburg, San Antonio and Austin Texas for a few days followed by a yoga retreat on a ranch in Montana. That should provide some new and interesting material.

• Maria Northcutt January 8, 2013, 1:57 pm

Beautiful pictures, you’re spreading joy and happiness. Thank you for that!

I try to do a “mini adventure”, try one new hiking or horseback riding trail every week.

I love the photo course!

/Maria

• Cynthia January 8, 2013, 5:48 pm

Ashland looks like a lovely place, especially through your photos! We’ve gotten a lot of snow this winter and I’ve started to get cabin fever. So we decided to do a quick little get away this past weekend to Montreal, which is only a two hour train ride from where we live in Ottawa, Canada. It’s just as cold and snowy there, but we were able to stay warm and cozy in the hotel and the underground city. We popped outside briefly (free of heavy coats!) to walk the half block to a restaurant where we met with old friends. Even the train ride made for a nice change, allowing us to catch up on some reading. We do these short little adventures quite often, but we’re planning a big adventure to the Netherlands this year! I’m glad I’m taking your photography e-course to help me prepare for all the photos I’ll be taking on that trip!

• Angela January 9, 2013, 6:15 am

Love your photography – you’ve got skills lady 🙂

• Pennie January 9, 2013, 7:53 am

Tammy – This looks so fun. You captured not only Ashland but the excitement of a mini vacation! We lived in Brookings for two years and went to Ashland a few times. Such a cool place. I am LOVING the photo course. Going for a photo walk today even in the gloomy weather. Have a wonderful day!

• Michael January 9, 2013, 10:14 pm

This weekend I went up north to Prescott, AZ. Beautiful place to escape to for the weekend.
    With my frequent flier miles I have earned I’m seriously considering going to Portland in Feb as a birthday gift to myself!

• nancy January 10, 2013, 9:12 am

Hi Tammy

Have you been to Stewart Mineral Springs in Weed? Great place for a nice soak. Happy new year!

• Tammy Strobel January 10, 2013, 10:04 am

@Nancy – Not yet! We’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip.