Everyday Life: Thanksgiving & Gratitude

I had a long and lovely holiday weekend! It was filled with lots of good food, conversations and bike riding fun. On Thanksgiving day, we pedaled into Yreka and volunteered at a soup kitchen serving and delivering Thanksgiving dinner to seniors in need. We spent the rest of the day hanging out with family. And we topped off the weekend with a holiday parade and lots of reading.

Over the weekend, I thought a lot about gratitude because I was missing my dad and writing a gratitude list helped me feel less sad. I’ve discovered that writing a gratitude list, for five to ten minutes everyday, brings joy and happiness into my life.

Below is a portion of my gratitude list that I wrote during the holiday. I also included a few photos too.

My Gratitude List . . .

It’s been such a sad and happy year and I’m so grateful for my mom’s friendship and love. She is beautiful.

I’m grateful for a lovely Thanksgiving evening filled with good food, football games, and awesome photo opportunities.

I’m grateful for my sweet kittens and adorable baby cows.

I’m grateful for fun holiday parades and photo walks in Yreka.

I’m grateful for Logan, my amazing husband and best friend. He makes me laugh and smile everyday.

Share your gratitude list in the comments section.

P.S. I’m starting to sell prints, canvases and greeting cards through Instacanv.as. Check out my gallery!

• Hope November 26, 2012, 10:43 am

Sweet post. I, too, am finding it helpful to practicing gratitude. I give myself a few minutes every morning to think of what I’m grateful for. My last blog post was on this topic. I’d love it if you’d visit. “Thanks is not Just for Thanksgiving,” is the title.

• Rebecca November 26, 2012, 11:43 am

I am grateful for good friends, my three year old daughter and her laughter, tickle fights, my kitties and bunny, and my husband.

I am also grateful for new beginnings and life.

• Laurie Buchanan November 26, 2012, 12:32 pm

I am grateful for each breath. I am grateful for fresh water, food, and shelter. I am grateful for laughter – mine and that of others.

• Maria Northcutt November 26, 2012, 1:06 pm

Beautiful post 🙂 I’m thankful for my husband that tells me and shows me how much he loves me every day. I’m grateful for my happy baby girl and my intelligent son. I’m so thankful for everyone else in my family and my friends all over the world. I’m thankful for being free to live the life I love. I’m so grateful for my horses, dogs and alpacas and the time I get to spend with them every day. I’m thankful for my health and education. I’m thankful to be alive and breath fresh mountain air every day. Thank you!

• Candice November 26, 2012, 1:25 pm

1. I am grateful for my sweet, compassionate, selfless and wonderful husband.
    2. I am grateful for my two precious kitties and their health.
    3. I am grateful for our little angel ferret, Teddy, who came into our lives right before we would need him most.
    4. I am grateful for our “little pets”.
    5. I am grateful for our new dog (a pup at 7 months) and that my husband was ready for her after the great loss we experienced over a year ago, that his heart was opened by this girl in need, that he found joy in bringing her home, and that she needed us in kind.
    6. I am grateful I was given the strength to stop taking the only medication I have been on and that it has been an increasingly positive experience full of self-awareness, learning, and true healing.
    7. I am grateful for the beautiful fall leaves we saw and the experiences we had in our yearly tradition trip to Hood River, OR.
    8. I am grateful for the improved relationship I have with my parents.
    9. I am grateful for my independence and all the creativity, exploration, and joy it brings me every day.
    10. I am grateful for our continually improving health through ongoing education.

• Paul - The Kind Little Blogger November 26, 2012, 3:09 pm

Beautiful post. Beautiful photos. I have never seen a photo of Yreka. What a glorious looking town. You’re very lucky.

What am I grateful for? I don’t know. I will have to give it some thought. (How bad is that!)

• Pennie November 26, 2012, 3:23 pm

Tammy – I just wanted to let you know how much this post meant to me today. First of all, you look like your Mom and she is beautiful! Second – I loved the pic or your husband and father (grandfather?) watching football because even though I am on a path of getting rid of my “stuff” ours is still the house that sleeps 12 and can have a huge holiday dinner and that is part of who I am (we have 4 married kids and 9 grands ranging in age from 24 to 8).

Earlier today, we got news that a good friend of ours committed suicide. She was in her early 50s. I am so sad. The message coming to me all day has been “I am grateful for my life” (My heart is aching for her daughters and husband) and your blog hit home for me. We have to get up every day and be grateful for the lovely gifts in our life! Thanks Tammy!

• Tammy Strobel November 26, 2012, 5:27 pm

Pennie – The photo you mentioned is of Logan, my husband, and his Grandpa Blair. 🙂

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. I’m sending you lots of love from Northern Ca.

Hugs,

• Sandra Pawula November 26, 2012, 6:40 pm

Your celebration of life fills my heart and soul with joy and gratitude! I’m grateful to know you. I’m grateful for my husband’s gigantic heart. I’m grateful for the beauty all around me. I’m grateful to be able to share my words.

• Holly Jo November 26, 2012, 9:51 pm

Yreka (“Y”-reka) is such a gorgeous town! My grandfather is from Redding, and I always thought this place was so cool with it’s old West-style buildings. I wish I had more time to explore, because the whole area had such a fascinating history.

• Claire/Just a little less November 26, 2012, 10:07 pm

I am grateful for my life.
    I am grateful for time .
    I am grateful for my friends.
    I am grateful for my children.
    I am grateful for my parent’s health, wisdom and love.
    I am grateful for my hubby’s love and laughter.
    I am grateful that I have hope, choice and peace.

• stephanie November 27, 2012, 7:31 am

Man, that guy talks fast! thanks for the video! Nice pictures too.

→ Next post: