Everyday Life: A Celebration

A few months ago, I wrote:

Pay attention to the people in your life because relationships are the only true wealth. Tell your loved ones how much they mean to you. Write a letter, make a phone call, or send an email. Don’t wait. Show your love today.

Last week, I decided to take my own advice and made plans to spend a long weekend with my mom. We had a lot of fun together and we also celebrated Mahlon’s birthday. He would have turned 70 years old, on Friday, November 16th.

It’s been five months since my step-dad, Mahlon, passed away and it’s still hard for me to believe he isn’t here with us. When I was at the house with my mom, I kept expecting to hear him open the backdoor and say “hello” and I missed his playful teasing.

My mom and I miss Mahlon, but we’re both doing our best to find happiness in the midst of grief. So on Friday, we celebrated the anniversary of Mahlon’s life by going on a special adventure together. We laughed, cried, told stories, and topped off the day by eating a really big dessert to honor Mahlon’s special day. I hope you’ll make time to show your loved ones how much they mean to you, today.

Enjoy today’s photo round-up . . .

• Maria Northcutt November 19, 2012, 11:32 am

What a beautiful way to celebrate love of life in a situation that could of lead the complettely other direction. Long live positivity!

• Sandra Pawula November 19, 2012, 11:48 am

I’m glad you had a good day with your Mom on Mahlon’s birthday. I’m sure this would bring him so much joy too. I appreciate your reminder to deeply connect with our family and friends. These photos are just stunning!

• Claire/Just a little less November 19, 2012, 1:12 pm

Such a positive post – helping each other deal with grief is very giving. I love those glistening droplets on the leaves xo

• Mama Minou November 19, 2012, 7:38 pm

Thank you for this reminder…I’m going to turn off the computer and go read to my son right now.

• Ida Borg November 20, 2012, 2:04 am

Thank You for the inspiration! We never know what tomorrow brings, right? Amazing photos! Cute dog! (About animals: I think they can teach us about how to live life and how to love, don´t You? My cat Vincent teaches me to enjoy every moment and to follow my true wishes.)
    To miss a person (or animal) is not a bad thing!

• Holly Jo November 21, 2012, 7:58 am

Beautiful pictures! (I especially love the goofy dog!)
    I just finished your book, by the way, and I really enjoyed it! 😀 It was an eye-opener! Thank you for the fantastic advice and words of wisdom.

• Mariette November 21, 2012, 9:16 pm

I’m in love with the bee!

→ Next post: