Everyday Life: The Power of Tiny Pleasures

{Photography helps me see the world differently and enables me to be less sad about my dad’s death. Since I’ve been taking so many photos, I decided to begin a new series on the blog called  “Everyday Life.” Enjoy!}

Today, I have a brief audio blog and photos to share with you. Enjoy!

P.S. It’s hard to believe that my new book, You Can Buy Happiness (and It’s Cheap), hit the shelves a few weeks ago. If you enjoyed the book, please tell your friends about it or share a review online.

You can buy my book from: Amazon.comBarnes and NobleIndie BoundNew World Library, and Powell’s.

Thank you for reading!

• Laurie Buchanan October 1, 2012, 8:41 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the virtual tour – thank you!

• Kristin Noelle October 1, 2012, 8:57 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures, Tammy. Thank you for sharing. My list of small pleasures includes images like these.

• Sophia October 1, 2012, 9:15 am

I loved hearing that you are enjoying the rural life. We also live in a rural area and I am constantly amazed at the show that nature puts on for us. Just yesterday we watched a bobcat sit in the sun behind our house, rolling in the grass like a house cat (!) and even try to hunt some gophers out of holes. It was a magical five minutes. Getting to enjoy coffee with a view of Mt. Shasta sounds pretty magical too. I plan to take some time later today to make my list of tiny pleasures. Thanks for the inspiration and enjoy your week!

• Jill Joiner October 1, 2012, 10:07 am

Thank you for sharing. I will always miss the sunsets I saw in New Mexico. I have never ever seen anything so bright.

• maggi October 1, 2012, 10:12 am

just lovely. i miss living in the country and these pics remind me of the good times spent there. thanks for sharing.

• Carolyn B October 1, 2012, 11:09 am

Am absolutely adoring the cat photo. My brother loves cats and he would love seeing this picture. Maybe you can expand your career aspirations to photography as well.

• Jeff Bronson October 1, 2012, 11:28 am

I looks very peaceful there Tammy.
    You are so right, it’s the little daily details we all forget to observe and enjoy.

Taking just a few minutes every day to look more closely at the world around us, is a mood lifter.

• Yvonne Greenawalt October 1, 2012, 11:29 am

Hi, Tammy…I’m buying your book on my with my allowance this month ($10 a month)…:) I’m just beginning a feasibility study of owning a tiny house. I’m 65, and think this has been in my bones for a long time. 🙂 I have 6 girls, and the tiny pleasures I am enjoying at the present are my grandchildren….just their precious little selves and all of their actions and words. I’ve downsized a lot already, but my financial situation will change on my 66th birthday, and I think it’s time to downsize again. Have to get rid of my childhood dolls…but they just sit there all lonely in a storage bin…I’ll just pass them on now…before I die rather than after. 🙂 I’ll get them down, wash their clothes, remember the clothes mom and friends made for them….and then present my girls with them. That will be another tiny pleasure! There are soo many!! 🙂

• Cindy October 1, 2012, 11:39 am

I love tiny pleasures. Love. I love that we are having a nice, quiet, rainy day in Georgia. Listening to the rain drizzling outside soothes my soul after a long hot summer. Thank you. God is good.

• Frank | Modern Monkey Mind October 1, 2012, 1:07 pm

Love the photos and enjoyed the audio log Tammy. I’ve started monitoring how I spend my time the way you discuss in YCBH, and its been enlightening, even with just the information from this morning. Apparently I think I spend a lot more time writing on the computer than I actually do. Most of the time seems to be frittered away on YouTube and FaceBook. Your photography is beautiful and inspiring as always. Keep it up!

• Stephen October 1, 2012, 3:43 pm

Often times in this busy world it’s all too easy to overlook not only the tiny,but the simple pleasures in life,it was a joy to read that chapter in your book (as was the entire book,BTW),as well as listen to this audio blog (the first time I’ve heard one).

Some of my tiny/simple pleasures are waking my kids up each morning as they get ready for school,being the soccer dad with the minivan that all the other kids pile into to stay warm or dry each morning,walking my dog late at night long after everyone is asleep so there isn’t much noise other than nature,and of course spending time (whether sitting,reading,talking,or just being) with my lovely Wife 🙂

• Mopsa | Inspira fundo October 1, 2012, 5:27 pm

One of my tiny pleasures is reading your blog 😛 You are such an inspiration, Tammy!
    Other tiny pleasures:
    – Reading, without being concerned with the ticking of the clock
    – Laughing out loud like a mad woman!
    – Dancing
    – Expressing myself through the written word
    – Sewing something new and gorgeous
    – Etc!

• Caroline McGraw / A Wish Come Clear October 2, 2012, 10:01 am

Watching my new kitten Bootsie sleep (this is making me smile right now!). Taking a boat out on the water with my husband – there’s nothing like feeling the wind in your face and having the love of your life at your side.
    Lovely post + question. My answer, from our interview at Your Lovely Life:
    “Pouring hot coffee into the Bartelbys of Mystic, CT mug that my best friend gave me years ago, and sipping the succulent brew as I read Rowdy Kittens and Be More With Less on a weekend morning. 🙂 Gathering with friends and family, with a feeling of belonging with them in my bones. Writing a story and feeling like I’ve said something exactly right. Planning a trip (I love to travel.) Reading great books — Jane Eyre, and anything by Madeleine L’Engle, Anne Lamott, and Sue Monk Kidd. Connecting with people with special needs and seeing how we are all part of the same family. Seeing the small ways in which we come through for one another, the ways in which we say yes.”

• Christopher Porter October 2, 2012, 11:54 am

Hi Tammy,

Was super-inspired by your posting this morning, and so had to come up with my list of TINY PLEASURES (though they do really seem large when in all-caps, don’t they?).

1) tea on the porch in the morning (especially if sun is available)
    2) apples from a local market the sources them from the surrounding area
    3) wearing socks with my TOMS shoes (simply because this breaks with fashion codes but is comfortable!)
    4) painting in the morning
    5) writing 2x per day
    6) not taking my shower any earlier than I have to (which is when I leave the house)
    7) coming up with, and strategizing over my Halloween costume this year
    8) going to the local produce stand where the summer tomatoes have flavor!
    9) saying thank you and/or writing thank you cards
    10) reading uplifting books/articles in the evening atop my sheets
    11) dancing to YouTube videos
    12) hanging out with those considerate people in my life that I love
    13) going running on my usual path every other day
    14) learning to change a bicycle tire
    15) watching old comedies (even VHS!)
    16) related– go to see movies in the city: art house cinema, etc.
    17) Look at myself in the mirror and tell myself “you’re beautiful as you are.”
    18) Calling OR writing a friend each day to brighten both our days
    19) Reading the comics in the paper or other humorous stuff
    20) Saying the Buddhist forgiveness prayer each night
    21) Taking five minute to decide on what I WANT to wear each day

Thanks so much for the opportunity to take on this assignment– I was surprised at some of the things I listed, and hope to do them more often!

• amanda October 2, 2012, 4:46 pm

agreed. lovely photos all around.

also: man i miss california.

• Sara October 2, 2012, 8:14 pm

I was going to write things like getting a hug from my husband, playing with our dogs and drinking a cup of coffee without hurry, but then realized that all the tiny pleasures in my life are actually the big things! I’ve always been the sort of person to enjoy the little details in life, since it’s in my nature 🙂

• Emily October 3, 2012, 3:23 pm

So many tiny pleasures!
    1) The leaves changing color. We’re having great color in Ohio this year. It’s ever-evolving art out my windows!
    2) Apple cider, hot, cold, spiced, not. Any way is fine with me.
    3) Yoga class. I’ve started attending three times a week and it is such a relaxing way to work out things that are irritating me/buzzing around in my head.

• Karen Miller October 3, 2012, 4:39 pm

tiny pleasures:
    listening to the little sounds of the day– of a spoon stirring coffee, a page turning, cloth rubbing against wood.
    the taste of “death wish coffee!” Recommended!
    being held

• Serge Sigouin October 3, 2012, 4:49 pm

My tiny pleasures: being barefoot and feeling the earth; having breakfast or dinner on my screened porch and having “serious” discussion with my pre-teen daughters.

• Beverly October 3, 2012, 5:12 pm

My 3 tiny treasures… my little chihuahua (yes I know everyone hates them but once they own you it’s impossible to hate them). She’s all of 6lbs and my sweetie. She can make me smile no matter what.
    Another tiny treasure, this beautiful trail at the Heron Night Lights in Sherman NY called Firefly Lane… tiny specks of light fly around and you truly feel as though it’s the path to heaven. And my last tiny treasure is simple… I love ice cream. LOL
    I have many treasures though and am so lucky to have them. Like 3 beautiful children, a beautiful grandson, an adoring man who is truly my soul mate. We’ve all learned to appreciate the tiny treasures in life together…. a beautiful sunset, a warm summer night on the porch together, sipping a micro-brew beer on a hot summer day. These are the true things to enjoy. You seem to know that already. I love your blog and your down to earth ways. You’ve taught me so much.

• Eric October 3, 2012, 6:14 pm

Ok, 3 tiny pleasures from me!
    1) sleeping in without any alarm clock
    2) walking around barefoot indoors
    3) when I’m working at my desk, occasionally turning on and experiencing the delicious feel of refreshing air gently blowing onto my face from the mini fan on my desk

• Amy October 3, 2012, 6:51 pm

Triple tiny pleasures…
    My fiancé holding me tight and spinning me like I’m seven
    Spotting a bird (or a few) taking a dustbath
    Seeing the first colors of sunset

• Heidi October 3, 2012, 8:09 pm

My 3 tiny pleasures: Sipping tea from a special cup, warm socks on cold feet, and the sounds of my kitties purring nearby.

• June Lenert October 4, 2012, 4:07 am

*sitting on my tiny deck and watching the sun set

*walking along the beach near my home

*sitting down after a day of work and sharing the events of the day with my husband

• Nick October 4, 2012, 8:42 am

Three for today…

– waking up in a room that gets the morning sun
    – making a fresh cup of AeroPress coffee first thing in the morning
    – groceries by bike

• Rebecca October 4, 2012, 11:38 am

For me my tiny pleasures are waking up to see the sunrise with stars and the moon still in the sky, tickling my little girl, spending time with my husband, and coffee.

• Deborah Ghirardo October 4, 2012, 1:23 pm

Walking the beach @ nite w/ my dog, looking @ harbor lights, listening to the sounds. Hiking thru the redwoods, Taking a nice Harley ride

• Kathryn Hardage October 4, 2012, 2:13 pm

My three simple pleasures are soaking up the peace on our land in the country, drinking tea with honey from our bees (I am a first year beekeeper), and curling up with a book on a rainy day (we finally had tow rainy days in North Texas).

Thanks for your wonderful encouragement on tiny house living and simpler life-style.
    Kathryn

• Kathryn Hardage October 4, 2012, 2:14 pm

My three simple pleasures are soaking up the peace on our land in the country, drinking tea with honey from our bees (I am a first year beekeeper), and curling up with a book on a rainy day (we finally had two rainy days in North Texas).

Kathryn

• Amy October 4, 2012, 3:43 pm

I’m adding another I’m not sure I realized before today! After sitting in rush hour traffic for 2 1/2 hours… I glanced at the sign of movement I noticed at the top of the noise barrier wall… and saw a squirrel running along the top on his own little highway! I know lots of people love to hate them, but they sure are cute and it really made me smile and forget annoyance with traffic…

• Camille October 5, 2012, 3:42 pm

Hi, Tammy! A few tiny pleasures that make me smile are laughing and playing with my young sons, having conversations with my friends and family (I love to hear about their dreams and how they’re pursuing them everyday), and drinking peach pop (bad I know, but I dabble every now and again). I’m just a simple girl. :o)

→ Next post: