Everyday Life: Tiny House Deep Clean + Flower Love

{Photography helps me see the world differently and enables me to be less sad about my dad’s death. Since I’ve been taking so many photos, I decided to begin a new series on the blog called  “Everyday Life.” The series showcase’s images from my everyday life. In addition, the series fits in perfectly with The August Break. Enjoy!}

***

Yesterday, we tore apart the tiny house. The little house needed a serious deep clean and luckily it only took a few hours. Also, Logan stained the trim around our loft window and Christie tried to help him out.

Friday was the two month anniversary of my dad’s death and I felt really sad. It’s still hard for me to believe that he’s gone. So to cheer myself up I bought a little Begonia plant and took a lot of flower photos.

And of course, a little puppy & kitty love makes me smile . . .

• Anu August 12, 2012, 11:19 am

I am recent subscriber and I just love your posts. I’m sorry about your father. Its been 14 yrs since my dear granny passed on. It gets easier but there is always an empty spot in your heart which they used to fill. My dog, Elvis, has helped me through other griefs. I enjoy seeing the sweet pics of your animals. Love and hugs to you.

• Tammy Strobel August 12, 2012, 11:34 am

Thanks for the sweet comment Anu. 🙂 Taking photos has been so healing for me. It’s one way I can honor my dad’s life. xo.

• Sandra Pawula August 12, 2012, 11:50 am

Beautiful! I smiled all the way threw. A wonderful way to start the day!

• Addie August 12, 2012, 2:29 pm

I’m so very sorry for your loss. My dad passed a few months ago too. It’s its own certain kind of pain, isn’t it? Aching… Sometimes when I’m alone, most often in the car, I’ve let myself talk to him. Usually out loud. It feels pretty good, and sometimes like maybe he’s listening. I love that you took care of yourself by buying a pretty plant – what a simple and beautiful way to feel comfort. And what lovely photos to document it! Much peace to you.

• Tammy Strobel August 13, 2012, 9:30 am

Thank Addie. I’m sorry to hear about your dad. And yes, it’s been very painful. I talk to my dad out-loud too; especially when I’m biking around Portland. I hope he can hear me. 🙂

xo,

• Laura August 12, 2012, 8:14 pm

Flowers make everything seem more hopeful. Quick question. Do you put your mattress on top of boards for ventilation?

• Tammy Strobel August 13, 2012, 9:31 am

@Laura – Yup. The mattress needs ventilation; the platform raises it by an inch.

• Colleen August 13, 2012, 3:35 am

Hello
    Yesterday I rediscovered your blog, so sorry to hear about your dad 🙁 I lost my mum when I was eight and my dad when I was 28 (I’m now 42), and I still miss them dearly, but it is true, the pain does get better with time, but the memories last. I was touched when I saw the photos of your dad in your previous post, his smile reminded me of my dad’s – it bought a smile and a tear.
    All the bestest Tammy

• Tammy Strobel August 13, 2012, 9:32 am

Thanks for the sweet comment, Colleen. Sending you hugs.

• Diane August 13, 2012, 7:51 am

What is it about the eyes of a Labrador Retriever? How come they are always so warm and gentle and sweet and pure? Because sometimes Labs can be real mischief makers, can’t they? But those eyes! I’m so glad you have a Lab and a kitty to help you get through the days!

• Tammy Strobel August 13, 2012, 9:34 am

@Diane – I wish that was my lab! She belongs to a friend and is very sweet and mischievous. I love her. 🙂

My two cats have been wonderful companions and my neighbors have a few dogs that I’m always playing with. Animals are so sweet. My cats always seem to know when I’m feeling sad.

• Rose Byrd August 13, 2012, 3:57 pm

Good working-partner hubby, puppy, kitty, and flowers–wonderful medicine for what ails you, I think!

• marcus August 13, 2012, 5:36 pm

Toes = flowers. FANTASTIC!

I will now no longer wonder why the women in my life color their toe nails.

Clearly, that shot and others made you feel better. No?

• Sandi August 14, 2012, 9:56 am

Oh, Tammy. I just want you to know that I ache with you. It’s been almost a year since I lost my father…who was the only one in my family I felt connected to at the time. So I felt completely alone. When you share your feelings here, it is such a comfort to me!!!!! Thank you for being so open and honest about your feelings. I’ve always enjoyed your posts, but they are even more meaningful to me now. Sending HUGE hugs.

• Tammy Strobel August 14, 2012, 10:21 am

Sandi – I’m so sorry for your loss. Thank you for the hugs. xo.