Life without Sugar

It’s been over a month since I quit sugar and so far life without the sweet stuff is great! You can listen to my life without sugar update here:

Need a few sugar-free resources? Check out these books . . .

I Quit Sugar

I Quit Sugar Cookbook

• Shawn & Jamie August 9, 2012, 8:56 am

We did this a few months ago too! It was a great experiment to see if we could go without sugar, and we could. We were inspired by a Robert Lustig video and some others. Like you, we actually felt better, more alert throughout the day without it. While we actually didn’t eat much sugar to start one of us has a deep hankering for chocolate (and we both like the occasional sweet) so it was interesting to curb the appetite for all added sugar. We still eat very little added sugar, basically none, and we eat no refined sugars at all. We do eat lots of fruits (and veggies) from the garden and from foraged cherries and very soon blackberries and apples from around town. And we still enjoy the special sweet treat – like anniversaries, LOL – and dinner (with dessert) parties, which we like going to with friends. We think it’s cool you’re continuing with your own challenge. Continued luck and success!

• Tammy Strobel August 9, 2012, 9:17 am

Super cool! Thanks for sharing and for the well-wishes too. 🙂

• rebekah August 9, 2012, 9:05 am

I quit, too! Going on three weeks. It’s great.

• Tammy Strobel August 9, 2012, 9:17 am

YAY! That is so awesome. 🙂

• Nicole August 9, 2012, 9:10 am

I’ve been thinking about eliminating sugar, but don’t think I can quite yet. I’ve eliminated alcohol for the past 6 months and just started no wheat. You are an inspiration to go without sweets!

Do you still eat honey? Maple syrup?

• Tammy Strobel August 9, 2012, 9:16 am

@Nicole – I’ve added a little honey back into my diet, but not much. I’m also eating more fruit now; one or two pieces of fruit a day. Overall, my diet is much more balanced and I’m glad that I’m not eating so many cookies. 🙂

• Kel Wilson August 9, 2012, 10:40 am

Went sugar free about 3 months ago and last week I finished a goal of getting rid of 500 things! 🙂
    Now I just need my kids to do the same. If I manage to figure that out, I could write a book! Lol
    Kel

• Sarah August 9, 2012, 4:37 pm

Just wondering how the lack of sugar is effecting your mood. I am finding that as I get older, binging on sugar causes a lot of depression. Is this your experience too?

• Tammy Strobel August 9, 2012, 5:35 pm

@Sarah – Without so much sugar in my diet, I’m happier. I have a tendency toward depression, so this diet change has been great!

• Victoria Smith August 10, 2012, 6:20 am

Sarah, I experience the same thing. Sugar hits my mood really hard! It also leaves me exhausted. I’m SO much happier without it in my diet. I’ve been on the sugar challenge since July 1 and honestly, my attitude, energy levels, and ability to focus have all improved dramatically.

• Rose Byrd August 13, 2012, 3:52 pm

Tammy, this wonderfully lucious salad is WAY better than sugary stuff! I am drooling!

→ Next post: