Everyday Life: Week 1

Ever since my dad died, photography is the only activity that gets me out of my head. Taking photos helps me see the world differently and enables me to be a little less sad.

Since I’ve been taking so many photos, I decided to begin a new series on the blog called “Everyday Life.” The series will showcase images from my everyday life and I’ll run it every Saturday. Enjoy!

***

A lovely gift from Susannah. It’s an angel to watch over me while I’m sad.

Tuesday night beer.

Live from the tiny house.

Backyard blueberries.

She’s always under my feet.

Lettuce love.

Lunch with Jolie.

WDS 2012 wrap-up dinner & celebration.

• Amina July 14, 2012, 7:57 am

Hi Tammy,
    I like what you are doing so much! Made some posts about you, your house and your lettuce. I´m on the way to REDUCE, REDUCE, REDUCE. I lovve it!!
    Have a great weekend,
    Amina and Paul the ^ ^ cat

• Susanna July 14, 2012, 10:09 am

beautiful photos, Tammy! My absolute favorite is your kitty, his/her eyes show such depth and beauty, cat’s eyes are so amazing. Keep your chin up, keep being good to yourself, everytime you defeat sadness (it will come), your Dad smiles upon you in heaven. This is what he wants. I’ve been where you are and I will share that one time, I was so sad with grief over losing my beautiful cat who was my son, I asked him to try and “speak” to me about how to deal with this strong strong sadness enveloping my soul, and I heard these words, almost telepathically. I heard clearly, “Keep fighting.” I know what I heard and there are people who may think I’m nutso, haha, but I Know in my heart, that was his direct message to me because we Loved each other like crazy. I now “fight” everyday for my happiness and for my soul to heal. Because my beautiful cat fought so hard to hang on to his life to live with me (he was extremely strong and defied all odds with his illness) I now have to “Keep fighting” to find peace and happiness deep within my soul. A life lived with Love is an amazing, happy life, however short it may be. For my cat it was 15 years, for people it’s a little longer but far too short. I can only share my experience with this, and I say, “Keep Fighting”, for your happiness. And in the fight, don’t do it alone either, do it with people who truly Love you. and I will say, tell yourself that you will WIN this fight, because the victory, a happy, fun, laughter filled life is something your beautiful Dad wants for you as he watches over you. It’s the same thing my beautiful cat and my Mom want for me as well. Keep Fighting. you’re an amazing writer, photographer, and a huge talent and success in my book…you DESERVE everything you want in life! Love and hugs from me!

• Chandrashekhar July 15, 2012, 7:45 am

I dont know who you are, you dont know who I am but these words.. they have this electric flair in them. I lost my first and only pet – a beautiful kitten who loved to curl up in my lap – a few months ago and it was such a shock to understand why she had to leave so early. (unknown illness). Although I kept all my feelings hidden inside me, to this day, memories of the morning she breathed her last keep haunting me and I feel enormously melancholy. I think, and hope, your words will heal and enable me to fight through this.
      Thank you. You’re an angel.

And @Tammy – the photo of the kitten is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. <3

• Denise July 14, 2012, 11:48 am

Beautiful pictures. I love the kitten and the blueberries… Take care and have a nice day.

• I love the kitty photo too… and also that you are using photography as a practice for awareness and healing. Thank you for sharing these with us!

• Alacrity July 15, 2012, 10:40 am

These photos are just lovely! It looks like your cat is most excellent company.

• Liberty July 15, 2012, 3:57 pm

Such soulful photos. I know what you mean about ‘escaping’ into the camera. It’s almost like being someone else or seeing the world through another’s eye. I hope photos continue to help you through the grieving. Take care.

• Annie July 15, 2012, 5:40 pm

You have a real flair for taking beautiful photos Tammy, no wonder it makes you feel better, it is clearly one of your strengths. Thank you for brightening up my day. You are a breath of fresh air.

• tammy j July 16, 2012, 6:52 am

something shines from you.
    you’re beautiful.
    and there is even beauty in great sadness.
    i lost my dad when i was 17 and my mother when i was 26.
    it’s the worst kind of hard.
    my heart to your heart. just the living of each day finally helps.
    your pictures are wonderful.
    thank you for this blog.

• becky July 16, 2012, 9:03 am

tammy, i’ve been following your blog for awhile now. it feels somewhat cold expressing myself here tho with regards to the grief and loss you are experiencing. you and your mom have been in my thoughts. i too find that the camera is a kind of escape into solace, slipping into solitude so different from loneliness. the loss is still there but the pain is blurred a little. also, it seems to bring into fresh perspective Life, this gift, this everyday beauty and treasure that loss wakes us up to. anyway, words fail, but wanted to say too, i think you have a real gift with your camera and i too love the pictures in this batch, particularly the blueberries and the one of your cat.

• Tammy Strobel July 16, 2012, 9:12 am

Thank you all for the sweet comments! I was a little nervous about starting this series. I’m thrilled that you like the photos. Taking pictures is helping me get through this rough time. I appreciate your support and encouragement.

• Savanni D'Gerinel July 16, 2012, 11:52 am

Brilliant! My photography has been stagnating a bit recently. I’ve been thinking of doing a 365-day project, and this sounds like just the framework that would work for me!

• Rose Byrd July 16, 2012, 3:56 pm

You are SO wonderful to share all of this with us. Congrats again on the fabulous WDS!

• Lisa Hoffman July 21, 2012, 7:16 am

Hello Tammy, I love these photographs! Thank you for posting them and am glad that photography helps you feel peace at this time in your life. Your Dad would be proud.

I was wondering, what type of camera do you use? I have an older Canon Rebell 2000, I am thinking about using again. But it is film and not digital – what would you recommend? Thank you. Lisa

• Tammy Strobel July 21, 2012, 8:54 am

Hi Lisa – Thank you! I’m glad you like the photos. 🙂

Typically, I use my iPhone and Nikon D5000 everyday. I have a 50mm lens for my Nikon and it rocks. I wrote a post about photography a while back. Click here to read it.

I’d recommend using whatever camera you have. I don’t shoot with film often, but it’s something I’m thinking of getting into again. 🙂

Best,

• dilip July 21, 2012, 4:03 pm

I am also an amateur photographer,and your blog gave me beautiful ideas
    about what can be the most wonderful photos that to in a very simple way.
    dilip