Writing through Sadness + eCourse News

writingThe last few weeks have been filled with crying jags, weight-loss, and not much sleep. Despite all the sadness, a lot of good things have happened too. Since my dad’s death, I’ve received an out-powering of support from close friends, family, and many blog readers too. For example, I’ve gone on a few lunch dates with a few girlfriends and over the weekend I helped a friend move her tiny house. I’m incredibly thankful to have so many people in my life who listen and constantly remind me to take care of myself.

In addition to hanging out with good friends, I’ve been writing a lot. The act of taking out my pen and telling stories in my little pink notebook has been incredibly healing and it’s saved me from a whole lot of tears. I’ve also been spending a lot of time working on my upcoming writing ecourse, Writing in the Digital Age: A Creative Guide to Writing Anywhere.

Since I’ve received so many inquires about the my ecourse, I decided to open up an early wave of registration. Over the next three days, you can register early for the ecourse and receive a 20% discount. Plus, if you sign-up early you’ll receive a surprise in your inbox!

Early registration will close on Thursday June 28, 2012 at 9am PST and the second wave of registration will open on July 23, 2012. The course starts on August 6, 2012. To learn more about the course, click here.

And last but not least, I’ve started working on an idea for another print book. The idea is still rough, but I’m planning on writing about a few themes including self-care, compassionate caregiving, and grief, using my story as a narrative. If you have any suggested readings on this topic — either books or academic articles — please share them in the comments section.

P.S. If you have any questions about Writing in the Digital Age, please email me: tammy(at)rowdykittens(dot).com.

• Jonathan Blundell June 25, 2012, 10:07 am

One of my favorite quotes about grief and loss is from CS Lewis. He wrote a great book in A Grief Observed (about the death of his wife).

Loose quote:
    Death of a loved one is like an amputation. You never get over it or used to it. You just learn to adapt and adjust.

Here are some other highlights – http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/894384-a-grief-observed

• Diane June 25, 2012, 12:45 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss. I wish there were some way through grief, other than just going through it. Hang in there!

• Caroline McGraw / A Wish Come Clear June 25, 2012, 4:04 pm

Tammy, I’m so glad you’ve felt the support of your community in this time. And congratulations on your forthcoming projects – both sound very exciting! In particular, the topics of self-care, caregiving, and grief are so important, and I always look forward to your posts on those topics.

Relevant Recommended Reading:
    -Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected by Kelle Hampton (her photos are beautiful too)
    -The Summer of Great-Grandmother and The Two-Part Invention, both by Madeleine L’Engle
    -A Little Love Story by Roland Merullo
    … and, of course, Your Creed of Care: How To Dig for Treasure in People (Without Getting Buried Alive), at AWishComeClear. 😉

• Sonya at EmergingDarkHorse June 25, 2012, 5:04 pm

This looks like such a beautiful course – I wanted to tell you that. I have been following your blog for months (maybe even a year, not sure how long). I love the realness. Your stories are often a refreshing break from my busy work days. And I commend you for sharing your sadness. I dread the loss of a parent but I know the day will come and I hope I am able to travel the waters with as much poise as you. I cam currently mulling over whether to do the course as I have recently completed several eCourses and feel a bit overwhelmed. Will the course run again? Cudos for putting this together.

• Tammy Strobel June 25, 2012, 7:26 pm

Hey Sonya – Thank you so much for the sweet comment and kind words. I will run the course again in the fall. I’m not sure when though; probably October. I suspect that I’ll add additional content too.

• Carrie June 26, 2012, 12:05 am

Hi Tammy,

Condolences to you. The best book I’ve ever been gifted was when I was going through loss myself. It is called How to Survive the Loss of a Loved One (http://www.amazon.com/Survive-Loss-Love-Peter-McWilliams/dp/0931580439/ref=cm_rdp_product) by Peter McWilliams. It’s filled with everything you might need for each stage of grieving and includes poetry, reflection, etc.

A family member lost her husband several years ago and felt like people needed a book too on how to interact and support loved ones experience loss, perhaps another idea!

Best wishes.

• Rose Byrd June 27, 2012, 1:49 pm

Tammy, I have been in prayer and meditation frequently for you in the past couple of weeks. Writing and activities with supporting friends are so very helpful, are they not? The title that came immediately to mind when I read your invitation to us to offer up books that would fit with your themes for your projected next print book is this: “SURPRISED BY JOY”. I know it is an “oldee”, but it is quite a “goodee”, I promise. I just love your attitude to dealing with sadness and loss and availing yourself of healing.

• Wendi June 27, 2012, 2:18 pm

Hi, Tammy- it sounds like you’re using your grief as a catalyst, which can always be a powerful force. I’m glad to know that you’re working on another book, too. I work in grief and loss at a hospice agency, and one of my favorite authors on care giving and grief (anticipatory and bereavement) is Stephen Levine- he’s amazing. And he and his wife will be talking on a free teleconference through the Metta Institute (another incredible resource): http://www.mettainstitute.org/teleconferences.html. Well worth checking out. I also think anything by Mark Nepo or Rachel Naomi Remen is worth reading for your book. Lastly, I always love Harold Kushner’s “When Bad Things Happen to Good People”- it’s a gem of a book that speaks to the spiritual pain that loss can cause (Kushner is a Rabbi).

Continuing to wish you much comfort- in your little home, on your bike, and in the world. I’m holding out for the fall group as well due to a full schedule this summer.

• Lisa June 28, 2012, 7:47 am

Hi,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. It’s very difficult and hopefully the grief will give way quickly to peace for you. Hugs. I’m thinking about you. I’m very close to my father and can’t imagine him gone from my life. My mom died when I was 21 and it gets easier to get through the day, but you never forget.
    Lisa

• Rose June 28, 2012, 6:17 pm

Hi Tammy. Just wanted to let you know that a person half way across the country that you do not know is sending lots of loving energy your way. I hope that each new day will bring more healing and relief for you and your family as you mourn.

→ Next post: