Rainbows & Cowboys

After spending the weekend taking photos of family and sneaking around the campfire taking pictures of cowboys, I drove down to Red Bluff with my mom. We ended up spending Monday evening observing a huge thunder and lightening storm. After two hours of listening to rolling thunder, watching lightening, and running around in the rain with my camera I captured a double rainbow! Capturing the rainbows with my camera reconnected me to an old memory; I thought about all the times I spent watching thunder storms with my mom as a kid.

Each photo that I take contains a memory and story. As David duChemin said, “Photographs are more than images. They are connections, and memories. They are, some of them, powerful beyond words. These photographs will remain some of the most valuable things I own. If, then, photographs hold moments, then best we don’t let those moments pass us by. Photograph the ones you love, none of them, nor us, last as long as we want.”

If you want to start capturing memories, with photos, bring your camera everywhere and take lots of shots. Also, ask other photographers how they compose their photos, read about photography, and join online communities, like instacamp.

Remember, you don’t need a fancy camera to capture life’s lovely details. All you need is a little bit of patience and a whole lot of practice.

For more photo goodness from my weekend adventure, take a look at the photo gallery below.

P.S. Yesterday Susannah Conway’s book, this i know, was released. I pre-ordered a copy back in April and was thrilled when it arrived in late May. I just finished reading the book for a second time! It’s filled with inspiring words and photos. Be sure to pick up a copy.

[nggallery id=13]

• Kane June 6, 2012, 2:48 pm

The old saw is…..

“the best camera is the one you have with you”.

🙂

• Kim June 6, 2012, 2:52 pm

What lovely pictures! Thank you for sharing them.

• Victoria Smith June 6, 2012, 3:00 pm

Seriously loving this post and your pictures. Simply gorgeous. Looks like you all are having a great time. Seeing your pics made me smile, but also made me miss riding horses. It’s been years! It’s going on my list for a possible upcoming adventure. 🙂

• Kate June 6, 2012, 5:28 pm

Oh my! All are good, but pictures 4 and 5 are just gorgeous. I’m jealous – it’s really hard for me to see a scene in B&W and subsequently my B&W photos are weaksauce. I just have to keep working at it, I suppose. Well done.

• Indigo June 7, 2012, 5:52 am

Hello-

I’m an avid reader of your blog, and a big fan. You rock! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, perspectives, and photography with the world. I look forward to reading your updates- it’s one of the few gems I regularly receive in my email. Thank you!

Awesome photos- what an awesome setting, and event. It’s great that you had some quality mother-daughter relaxation and adventure time. Personally I find it so important for the soul.

Lovely rainbow! Double rainbow- what does it mean? 😉

Also- did you know the colors in the second rainbow are reverse of the second?
    “Secondary rainbows are caused by a double reflection of sunlight inside the raindrops… As a result of the second reflection, the colours of a secondary rainbow are inverted compared to the primary bow, with blue on the outside and red on the inside. ” -Wikipedia

• Annie June 7, 2012, 11:13 am

Lovely shots of all of the people. Lots of character and heart.

• shel June 7, 2012, 12:49 pm

Your posts make me happy; thank you, Tammy.

• Rose Byrd June 7, 2012, 4:24 pm

OH, Tammy, how I wish to be back on horseback rounding up cattle. But we did not have those gloriously tall evergreens to provide shade as you show here in Northern California! And a double rainbow is a sight I have enjoyed more than once this past year! The last time was on Good Friday after our church’s Stations of the Cross service, where I had been a reader. It seemed to some of us that we walked right out into the middle of a glorious pre-sunset double rainbow! I am so pleased about you guys having this wonderful family time together, especially including your mom!