Inspiring Links: WDS, Healing & Other Goodies

{Every week, I publish a small round-up of my favorite articles, books, photos, and other goodies. Enjoy!}

– Loved Courtney’s post about WDS. I’ll be volunteering at the event. If you’re going to be at WDS next weekend, I’d love to connect.

– Over the last few weeks I’ve tried to read all kinds of books like, In Praise of Slowness, Being with the Dying and When Things Fall Apart. And I still need to sort through reader book recommendations too! But it’s been really difficult to digest heavy material because I miss my dad. Reading heavy stuff makes me cry. So my friend Jolie suggested that I read The Secret Garden and I’m loving it.

Healing Ourselves was something I needed to read this week.

Scenes from the Day is a beautiful piece.

How to Write a Book.

Are you feeling social media obliged?

I’m quitting sugar on Sunday, July 1st. I’ll be blogging about this process, so stayed tuned. Also, early registration for Writing in the Digital Age is closed. Registration will open again on July 23rd and the course starts on August 6th.

• Sandra / Always Well Within June 29, 2012, 10:34 am

Tammy,

I can imagine that it’s difficult to read books on loss right now. Maybe you just need more time and space. “When Things Fall Apart” helped me tremendously through a different sort of loss. My heart is with you.

I loved Courtney’s article on WDS too and also the one are feeling social media obliged. Thanks for the great links!

• Tammy Strobel June 29, 2012, 11:14 am

Sandra – I think you’re right. I need a little more space before I start delving into books on loss. I know this process takes time. I just didn’t expect it to be so hard.

I’m so happy you enjoyed the links. Thank you so much for reading. 🙂

• michel June 29, 2012, 1:22 pm

Tammy, thank you so much for the link to my post. I was honored and humbled by the mention. Grief is an unknowable process I’ve come to find. You’re in it and you’re in it – until your not. And even then. It’s there. Instead of a coat you wear, it becomes a shirt, and if you’re lucky it’s a beautifully stitched handkerchief you carry in your back pocket for the rest of your life. Pema’s book “When Things Fall Apart” has been a staple for me. A very sweet friend of mine says something that always makes me feel better – “hang in there kiddo”- and that’s what I say to you. XOXO M

• Rachel June 29, 2012, 4:04 pm

Hi Tammy, The Secret Garden was one of my childhood faves! What a great suggestion to help heal your heart. I loved Sarah’s post about feeling social media obliged too… it’s one of the many reasons I have been social media free for over a year now. Also, congrats and good luck on going sugar free. I’ve been sugar (and flour) free for a few months now… let me just tell you that detox is a real bugger!! Once you do it though, you’ll never want to go back, if only for that reason. It really is poison.

• Jill June 29, 2012, 8:33 pm

Hi Tammy,
    I’m eager to read your posts about going sugar free. Are you going to follow Sarah’s eight week plan? I want to do it, but I’m scared! Good luck! Also, I loved the Secret Garden as a child too. It’s one of those books that if I have children I’ll want them to read also!
    Take care,
    Jill

• Tammy Strobel June 30, 2012, 2:14 pm

@Jill – Yes, I will be following Sarah’s eight week plan. 🙂 Can’t wait to give it a go! I think you should try it too. I’m going to write a post about the no-sugar challenge on Monday.

• Karen Marston June 30, 2012, 2:37 am

I hear you on the quitting sugar thing! Since transitioning to paleo over the last few weeks, I’ve realised that I actually am addicted to sugar. Which I never really believed was an actual thing before. But I gave up dairy so easily, which made me rethink things.

Hope to meet you at WDS!

Oh, and have you read A Little Princess? I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as The Secret Garden (which I love), but it’s still a lovely read x

• Tammy Strobel June 30, 2012, 2:14 pm

@Karen – I’d love to meet you at WDS! If you see me, please say hi. 🙂 I read The Little Princess a long time ago. I’ll have to read the book again.

• Rose Byrd June 30, 2012, 8:12 am

Tammy, thanks so much for educating us about World Domination Summit and all the cooperation between entrepreneus it promotes! Hooray! And hooray for your friend getting you to read something “light” like The Secret Garden! Praying for you in your time of grieving for the loss of your dad! And I am eagerly anticipating your reports on your sugarless adventures!

• my honest answer June 30, 2012, 1:39 pm

I love The Secret Garden. Although I recently reread it to my goddaughter, and I was kind of shocked by the beginning, I hope you didn’t find it upsetting. I’m still thinking of you.

• Farnoosh June 30, 2012, 2:27 pm

Dearest Tammy, I don’t have any book recommendations – I just want to give you a hug when I see you at WDS. That’s all. So glad you will be there!!!

• Kristin Furian July 1, 2012, 11:36 am

having quit HFCS and then corn syrup in general and then anything that had anything other than sugar I am wondering what is left to quit. Then you say you are quitting sugar and I am all like “jeeeeze you go girl!”

I am really interested in hearing how this works for you!

• kimberly July 2, 2012, 5:08 am

tammy,
    so excited to see that you’ll be at WDS this weekend! me too and i can’t wait to meet. thanks for sharing all the inspiring resources and i’m loving all your tiny house photos. you’re an inspiration for smart, simple living! x

• Rose Byrd July 2, 2012, 3:50 pm

In Praise of Slowness has really got me on a new mental track of what I call “terrapin therapy”. A very good Native American friend pointed out that one quality of terrapins is looking inward when they are in their shells. That habit combined with moving slowly over the earth and feeling each granule with the toes really has me praising slowness the last few days. Hooray for ALL your links you share so generously here!

→ Next post: