Inspiring Links: Walking, Einaudi & Creative Joy

{Every week, I publish a small round-up of my favorite articles, books, photos, and other goodies. Enjoy!}

First, I need to say thank you. Thank you for leaving so many supportive comments on Monday’s article. I sincerely appreciate it!

Second, I’m leaving for California on Sunday and need some good reading material. If you have book or article recommendations, please leave the information in the comments section.

Now onto this week’s inspiring links . . .

Finding Our Creative Joy.

– Ludovico Einaudi released a new album called Islands and I’ve been listening to it everyday. Listen to a sample of Ludovico’s album here.

– Need a reason to walk more? Read: The Crisis in American Walking: How we got off the pedestrian path.

– The book of the future.

– Bundle of Joy.

Walking the tightrope: thoughts on vulnerability and hurt.

• Chris April 20, 2012, 6:50 am

First, I messed up and left your book suggestion on the Finding Our Creative Joy blog. *blush*
    Thanks for the link. It’s a great blog. I may be too embarrassed to go back there, though. lol

Can’t correct that there, but I can come back here and suggest it to you here.
    Book suggestion:
    Anything by Nathan Lowell, especially his Trader’s Tales series. The audio is available through iTunes for all 6 books, and the paperbacks are available through Amazon. Not affiliated. Just found them this year and love them all.

• Cynthia April 20, 2012, 6:54 am

I hope you have a wonderful visit in California. Here’s a couple book ideas you might enjoy: “In Praise of Slow” by Carl Honoré or any of the Vinyl Café books by a wonderful Canadian storyteller, Stuart McLean. You can read more about Vinyl Café and hear podcasts at http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php

Thank you for all the inspirational links you share 🙂

• Jaye Bayfield April 20, 2012, 7:32 am

I just finished (and loved) Homer’s Odyssey by Gwen Cooper, a charming, inspiring tale about life with a blind cat.

From the author’s website:
    Homer’s Odyssey is the once-in-a-lifetime story of an extraordinary cat and his human companion. It celebrates the refusal to accept limits—on love, ability, or hope against overwhelming odds.

• Jean April 20, 2012, 7:51 am

Two books I read recently which I thought were good, inspiring and easy to read:
    – Desert Solitaire: Edward Abbey is living outside of Moab, UT as an Arches National Park ranger
    – A Heart For Freedom: Chai Ling’s story of her leadership role at Tiananmen Square, and later

• Katie April 20, 2012, 8:26 am

Hi Tammy,

For a reading suggestion, I would take a look at http://www.longform.org if you haven’t already – great long essays that can be downloaded to a kindle.

Katie

• DarrenKeith April 20, 2012, 9:06 am

Hello and Happy Friday Tammy! 🙂

Here are two links to my podcast, “MyLoveForMusic”. I don’t know if you were a Windham Hill fan but a while back I produced two podcasts showing my love for Windham Hill. Enjoy and be safe in regards to your journey to California.

MLFM episode #17 – MyLoveFor: Windham Hill vol.1 >> http://www.mixcloud.com/darrenkeith3/mlfm-episode-17-mylovefor-windham-hill-vol1/

MyLoveFor: Windham Hill – Volume 2 >> http://www.mixcloud.com/darrenkeith3/mylovefor-windham-hill-volume-2/

• Patricia Collins April 20, 2012, 9:35 am

I’ve been loving YA literature lately. If you want some YA Fantasy escapism, “Graceling,” by Kristen Cashore is (eventually) gripping. In the adult realm, I also have been enjoying the non-fiction “I Want my MTV” which might be incredibly addicting, depending on if and when you watched MTV as the book covers the period of 1981-1992. I also just finished “Trask” by Don Berry which is set on the Oregon Coast in the 1840s. Great sense of place, wonderful characters, interesting plot. And if you are looking for something long, detailed and well-written, “IQ84” by Haruki Murakami was great.

• Aime Lopez April 20, 2012, 10:26 am

Hi Tammy!,

Hope you have a nice trip to California!!, here is my reading sugestion for your trip:

A Town like Alice of Nevil Shute:

Enjoy!! 😉
    Aimé.

• Melissa April 20, 2012, 10:46 am

Just read the article you linked to about dwindling pedestrians. Earlier this morning, I caught a glimpse of a Kickstarter project that SwissMiss highlighted called Walk (Your City). Just a quick link that I thought you’d be interested in:

Have a good trip to CA

• Mama minou April 20, 2012, 5:47 pm

I récently read two novels that I could not put down: Heft and Room.

• Mohamed Tohami | Midway Simplicity April 21, 2012, 6:14 am

The minimalists, Josh & Ryan, are offering their Minimalism: Essential Essays book for free in the next 5 days. I think it might be a good read in your trip.

• amanda April 21, 2012, 8:00 am

One of my favorite things to read as a writer are the Paris Review interviews. They interview all different kinds of writers (nonfiction, fiction, poets) and have been doing it for decades. They also started collecting them into book form. The latest one is available for kindle and although I haven’t read that one, I would expect it’s great (Pound, Kerouac, Murakami, Angelou). I’ve never read a bad interview. It’s always so fascinating to read about other writers’ processes or hear their stories about how a particular character or piece came together. It’s truly illuminating. http://www.amazon.com/The-Paris-Review-Interviews-IV/dp/0312427441/ref=pd_sim_b_3

• Trish April 21, 2012, 1:29 pm

‘Mutant Message Downunder’ is about a 6 month journey a woman claims she made with a tribe of aborigines in the Australian outback. Mutant is the term the natives use for white people. It is right on track with a minimalist message and living in the moment.

• Tammy Strobel April 24, 2012, 10:27 am

Hey Trish – I picked up a copy of Mutant Message Down Under. I’m going to start reading it tonight. Thanks!

• Caitlin April 22, 2012, 5:21 am

Open City by Teju Cole is a beautiful book.

• hhwlib April 22, 2012, 2:46 pm

My favorite book is The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. lots of resonance with simplicity, small living, sharing, and finding your own path.

Thanks for the Einaudi link; I’m really enjoying his music.

• Caragh April 22, 2012, 6:29 pm

Thank you so much for introducing me to the beautiful music of Einaudi. I have a 14 year old son who plays piano and composes music, and I look forward to sharing it with him as well.

• Tammy Strobel April 24, 2012, 10:26 am