Blissful Reflection: The Thrilling Thirties

Have you every heard music that opens your heart? Melodies that go straight to your core or tunes that leave tears running down your face?

There is only one musician that opens my heart and makes me cry and his name is Ludovico Einaudi. Sunday was my 33rd birthday and I closed off a spectacular day at the Alberta Rose Theater listening to Ludovico play live.

Before heading to theater, I sat on my tiny font porch, soaking up the warm sun and chatting with my neighbor, brother in-law, and Logan. I savored every moment and my thoughts kept turning to gratitude. When my mom called to wish me a happy birthday I told her, “It’s been two weeks since we moved into the tiny house. I can’t believe it. I’m so grateful to have a home, Logan, and family. I am incredibly lucky and can’t believe life is so good.”

I couldn’t have asked for a better birthday and throughout Ludovico’s performance I had tears in my eyes. His performance was stunning, sincere, honest, and I was grateful to be there.

My thirties have been thrilling, in part because I’ve finally gotten my act together. I still have a lot to learn, but I’m on a path that has led me to happiness and incredible opportunities. I’m no longer turning toward stuff to make me happy. Instead I’m engaging in the world by spending time with people I love and partaking in fulfilling experiences that leave me with enough energy to give back.

– Listen to more tunes here.

– Take a look at my favorite photos from the weekend.

Pictured below, my amazing brother in-law Tyler Smith and Ludovico Einaudi. We were so excited to meet Ludovico that we hopped on the wrong bus after the show.

While we drank beer, Elaina hung out on the porch. We weren’t the only one’s enjoying the pumpkins and the sun.

Thank you for reading! 🙂

• Martina November 8, 2011, 9:23 am

Happy Birthday, dear Tammy! I am so glad you are so happy with your life. Here’s to many more happy moments and years in your pretty home! Best to all of you, cats included… Martina

• Mary November 8, 2011, 9:46 am

Happy birthday! You are now exactly half my age, and I can tell you each decade gets better in my experience. For certain, you’re on the right track if you’re happy. Thanks for sharing.

• Dave November 8, 2011, 9:57 am

You might like some of the music of Arvo Pärt, who is an Estonian composer – for example:

Or Henryk Górecki, a Polish composer – for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXpZsxQVscI (this one starts off very very quietly and builds very slowly, just so you know, it is playing, it’s just really quiet) 🙂

• rob November 8, 2011, 10:01 am

Happy Birthday!

By the time I turned 33 I was pretty much over my bitterness at no longer being in my 20s. 🙂

But do wallow in every day. 33 was 21 years ago for me and I occasionally wonder where they went.

• Dave November 8, 2011, 10:18 am

Ooops, that version of the Górecki piece gets cut off, try this one 🙂

• PJ November 8, 2011, 10:33 am

Hi, Tammy,

I’ve never commented here but do read your site. I felt compelled to tell you the first time I heard of Ludovico Einaudi was when watching this beautiful canine freestyle:

I cried the first time I watched it and loved the music. I love, love the part at around the 1:50 mark… amazing connection between human and canine! I then looked up the story behind “I Giorni” and I cried more.

Glad you had a wonderful birthday!

• Tammy Strobel November 8, 2011, 5:24 pm

PJ – Thank you for reading and commenting! I’m going to check out the video right now. 🙂

• Natalie November 8, 2011, 10:55 am

Very inspiring! Happy Belated-Birthday! 🙂

• Nichole November 8, 2011, 11:14 am

I read this post and can only respond with a resounding “Yes!” I get more and more filled with gratitude at each passing birthday, and realize that each year is a smaller fraction of my life, so it goes by quicker. My response to the speed is to pause and savor, live and love slowly. Thank you for reminding me to live this way on days other than my birthday!

• Kathryn November 8, 2011, 11:34 am

That music was so beautiful. Delicate yet powerful. Thanks 🙂

• Carriann November 8, 2011, 11:43 am

I am so jealous! I have loved Ludovico Einaudi for years. Unfortunately I don’t think his tour includes a stop in Minneapolis. 🙁 What a fabulous way to spend your birthday.

• Matthew November 8, 2011, 11:55 am

For anyone that’s interested, Ludovico is on Spotify! Thanks for the rec, and happy birthday!

• TamV November 8, 2011, 1:02 pm

Happy Birthday, Tammy! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I’m now in my 50’s and becoming more “myself” with each passing year. It does keep getting better.

• Lindy November 8, 2011, 1:04 pm

Happy Birthday Tammy. What a great age to be and to be so content. I am twenty years older than you and still trying to get my act together. I wish you all the best as you progress into the future.

• Becky Duggan November 8, 2011, 1:47 pm

A very happy birthday to you! Thank you for sharing the beautiful music!

• Becky Duggan November 8, 2011, 1:48 pm

Happy birthday! Thank you for sharing the beautiful music!

• Brooke November 8, 2011, 3:31 pm

Happy Birthday! Thanks for introducing us to Ludovico! Instant fan here!

• Tammy Strobel November 8, 2011, 5:22 pm

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I appreciate it. 🙂

• Ryan November 8, 2011, 5:22 pm

You’re an inspiration, Tammy. The World could use more chicks like you. 🙂

I’m serious! All the best.

• Tammy Strobel November 8, 2011, 5:28 pm

Thanks Ryan. 🙂 You’re sweet.

• Kerstin November 8, 2011, 6:23 pm

Happy (belated) birthday, Tammy! And thank you for the beautiful introduction to Ludovico! Piano is my favorite instrument and he reminds me of the one musician who makes me cry, too: Keith Jarrett. My favorite is Part I from Jarrett’s 1975 Cologne Concert, incidentally my home town, but I first listened to it at my sister’s apartment in Paris. (Music is memories, too, isn’t it?) It is one of the most moving pieces of music I have ever listened to. If you want to check it out, it’s broken into three parts on youtube, I think you will like it:
    And now I am off to explore Ludovico Einaudi, thank you!

• Kane November 9, 2011, 2:22 am

Ludovico is wonderful. Awesome taste.

I’m a touch envious as I’ve never seen him live.

• Paula November 9, 2011, 6:37 am

Happy Birthday, Tammy!!! very nice photos! hope you had a great celebration!!! 🙂 it sounds like you did!

• Gene November 9, 2011, 7:32 am

When we met in June, I thought you were more like 23.

Happy Birthday!!

• Tonia November 9, 2011, 8:25 am

I absolutely love Ludovico Einaudi! Incredible composer/musician. Happy birthday!

• Janelle November 9, 2011, 12:34 pm

What a nice way to spend a birthday. You’re such a positive person, and I look forward to your posts in my reader. I just linked to you a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for blogging.

• Mandy November 9, 2011, 4:02 pm

Happy birthday Tammy, and thanks for sharing Ludovico Einaudi’s music. WOW! He’s amazing.

• Emma November 10, 2011, 7:52 pm

Thank you so much. This is the first post I have read on your blog, and I’m hooked. Also on Mr. Einaudi – I turned the lights off and lay on the floor listening to this song.

• Tammy Strobel November 10, 2011, 7:58 pm

@Emma – Thanks for reading! I’m glad you like Ludovico. He’s amazing.

• Laila Atallah November 11, 2011, 2:30 pm

Tammy, happy birthday (week) to you! I’m so happy for your happiness!

You’re truly enjoying this precious life you’ve been given. Living and breathing in the sweetness of it all. Thanks for sharing your joy with us. And this beautiful music.

• Thorsten November 17, 2011, 2:21 am

Happy birthday to you!
    Thanks to your blog entry I got to know this very nice musician and as Ludovico Einaudi came to Cologne for a solo concert yesterday evening I could directly listen live to him just two days after reading about him.
    Very relaxing music. He played two bonus pieces so in the end the concert was almost 2 hours.
    Funny that he used an iPod or something similar for some pieces to support his piano play.
    If you like this music, have a look at Craig Armstrong – Piano Works.

• Rose Byrd November 29, 2011, 11:54 am

The cat sidelit in the window with the sunset-colored autumn produce is priceless! Who needs a big house and lots of “stuff” with these treasures in your home?

→ Next post: