Something Inspiring: Rain

{Something Inspiring is a series of short essays that highlight an article, photo, or campaign that inspired me. Enjoy!}

I love the rain. I love the water droplets it leaves behind on the plants, flowers, and the grass. Most of all I love listening to the rain in our little house.

Some of you have asked what the rain sounds like in our loft, so I thought I’d share a recording Logan made a few nights ago. Listen to the pitter-patter of rain on our skylight, by clicking here

What do you love about the rain?

Subscribe to the letter for more goodness.

• Cameron November 4, 2011, 9:23 am

I love the fresh, moist smell of The Woods where I live in Northern CA when it rains. We got a good dose of it last night!

The sound of the rain hitting your little roof is soothing — I can actually HEAR the wood! It is very different from the sound of the rain hitting the roof of my Airstream travel trailer, which we use as an auxiliary space here.

• Tammy Strobel November 4, 2011, 9:54 am

@Cameron – WOW! It’s so cool that you can “hear the wood”! Amazing. 🙂 I love the sound of rain in Airstream trailers too. It’s different, but still soothing.

Thanks for leaving a comment! I hope you have a great weekend.

• SeanD November 7, 2011, 6:54 pm

I know the sound you are talking about, I lived for a short time in a trailer on Santa Cruz’s campus. Its the sound of the wind and rain in the trees, the soft whooshing, pattering, and sighing.

• Ransom November 4, 2011, 10:57 am

I love the sound of rain so much, I open the window to hear it at night. In Portland, that makes for cold night, put I am in Malaysia for a month and it will make nights warm. I can’t take the around the clock AC.

I’ve been sending links about your small house to a friend. he doesn’t get it – but I do. I may not be ready for super-shrink-me yet, but 500 carefully thought out SF appeals. I don’t think my 130lbs of inside dogs would do well in super small.

Thanks for your small house updates and your other blog articles. Its been a thought provoking read. as they say in corporate-speak, it’s a ‘paradigm shift’.

• Tez Hill November 4, 2011, 10:59 am

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that! 🙂

• traci sabia November 4, 2011, 12:39 pm

i agree w cameron. the smell is the best part of rain and the fact that rain makes the trees, flowers and plants grow. such a great sound. i find that you will be taking many a naps in the loft with that noise. very soothing.

• Victoria November 4, 2011, 1:28 pm

Thank you for sharing that recording – it felt like I was right in your loft. How cool. I love the way the rain makes everything smell so fresh & clean. Like a new beginning. 🙂

• Meredith November 4, 2011, 6:28 pm

Listening to your recording sounded so relaxing. I imagine how soothing that would be at bed time or nap time. With the colder weather upon us, I’ll bet you’re looking forward to curling up under a cozy blanket while listening to the sound of the rain.

• Dawn November 4, 2011, 7:17 pm

Wow. The sound was so soothing and warming that it provides more inspiration for me to get into my own tiny home! Thank you!

I also adore the sound and smell of rain as well as soft candlelight that can accompany the rain. I love the winter/fall because it is the perfect temperature for me and perfect cuddling weather (which is caused, in part, by the rain forcing everyone inside). 🙂 I always change the words of “White Christmas” to “Wet Christmas” because that is what I dream of. 🙂

• Nichole November 5, 2011, 7:54 am

I live in the land of rain. The clouds act like a giant filter in the sky and the colors in nature really pop. It’s like living in a kaleidoscope.

• mark owen-ward November 7, 2011, 5:42 am

how i love this post – thought i was the only person that recorded rain in his own house! is a little snapshot recording like this an auragraph? in a visually dominated (photographic) world, it’s nice to give another sense priority. haven’t read rk for a while but coming back feels like coming home! mark

• Tammy Strobel November 7, 2011, 8:25 am

Mark – Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by!

• Nance November 7, 2011, 10:21 am

Wow. I want to listen to go to sleep to this! How do you get up in the morning with this wonderful sound on your skylight? It makes me want to snuggle down in the covers. 🙂

• Rose Byrd November 29, 2011, 11:49 am

I love rain for the rhythms I hear on the wonderful tin roof of my present home(relatively small compared to my friends: they “entertain”!). I love the rain for the patterns the drops make in the dust. I love the rain for nourishing the trees, the grass, the wildflowers, and all my “tame” shrubs, flowers, and veggies! I love the rain for bringing out the songbirds afterwards, especially in the heat of summer. I love the rain in winter for telling me to stay inside, scribbling,sketching, stroking my dogs and cat, talking over nonsense with hubby, savor the odors from the crockpot. The rain is especially beloved for talking to me.

→ Next post: