How We Moved Our Tiny House

A number of readers have asked how we moved our tiny house into the backyard we’re renting. I talked about our electric power dolly in this post and also promised a little bit of video footage too. The clip below is two and a half minutes long. You’ll notice that I say “Wow” and “Holy crap” a lot in the video. Sorry about that. I’m still getting the hang of video narration.

In short, I was blown away by the coolness of our electric power dolly and Logan’s ability to steer our little house into a very tight gate.

Enjoy!

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail this to someone

• Justin Lukasavige November 10, 2011, 8:39 pm

Amazing! I want one. I hit the fence with our small trailer attached to the truck the other day.

• Frank November 10, 2011, 9:10 pm

Thanks for posting this Tammy! I’m in the midst of writing a short story about a writer who lives in a tiny house parked in his college room mate’s back yard, and it starts with moving his house back in (after he gets back from a writing retreat), so this is REALLY helpful, as I’ve never done it before!

• mark owen-ward November 11, 2011, 4:46 am

The video makes the tiny house look a lot bigger for a few minutes!

• Sunday November 11, 2011, 5:25 am

Honestly, I thought it would be like watching paint dry, but it wasn’t 🙂 That was so cool!! And you said you’re going to rent it out to others? What a great investment.

• Logan November 11, 2011, 9:54 am

Thanks Sunday! We will be seeking out other tiny housers to invest and cover the initial cost, but once we get it paid down (spread out the cost to about $100-$200 per person) we will likely donate it to a tool library in Olympia so future folks can use it for free and support the growing tiny house community in Olympia, WA. 😀

• Brenda November 11, 2011, 5:47 am

That indeed was a quite a maneuver! Go Logan!

• Logan November 11, 2011, 9:50 am

Thanks Brenda! I had lots of help from Dee and everyone else providing directions. The “power-mover” machine did its job admirably. 😀

• Ev`Yan November 11, 2011, 10:15 am

I believe the “Wows!” & “Holy craps!” are warranted. This is AMAZING!

Like a boss, Logan! ;]

• tammy November 11, 2011, 11:03 am

i’d be saying the same thing tammy!
    you took the words “holy crap” and “wow” and “i’m impressed!” right out of my mouth.
    i love you guys… for doing this and for inspiring others and for just being you!
    tammy j
    maybe the tiny house movement could have a lobby in washington…
    so it would make it easier to provide lots for tiny houses, without all the
    hassles and red tape… and lack of plumbing lines and water, etc.
    though i loathe washington and politics.
    you are lucky to have friends and live in an area of the country that lets you do this!
    congratulations all around!

• Kane November 11, 2011, 12:17 pm

So your man has a Doctorate and does ‘manual’.

He’s a catch, really. But you know that already.

Loved the voiceovers 🙂

• Jay Eagle November 11, 2011, 12:29 pm

Your house is so totally awesome!

• Laila Atallah November 11, 2011, 2:12 pm

Fantastic! Go Logan and Tammy and all your friends! This is so beyond my world, I love it.

• Sherri Dunham | The Budding Lotus November 11, 2011, 8:38 pm

What a feat! Glad they had a wide enough gate through the fence. 🙂 Hope your new home is all you hoped it would be and more!

• Clark November 15, 2011, 11:03 am

Really neat! How wide was the opening of the double gate? How far did the dolly move the house from the driveway to the final location in the yard? Awesome work!

• Logan November 29, 2011, 1:03 pm

The opening was about 10 feet and the dolly moved the house approximately 100 feet from the driveway into the yard. Thanks for the support! 🙂 Cheers!

• Rose Byrd November 29, 2011, 11:55 am

Moving your house with a dolly! How totally magical! Much better than living in a shoe, huh?