Something Inspiring: The Girl Effect

{Something Inspiring is a series of short essays that highlight an article, photo, or campaign that inspired me. Enjoy!}

I spent about 10 years working with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence, both as a volunteer and staff member at a variety of organizations. As a Victim Advocate, I realized how incredibly lucky and privileged I am. I have a safe place to call home, money to buy food, a family and that loves me and a partner that treats me with respect. Whereas, most of the women and girls I worked with didn’t have their basic needs met.

I walked away from the field with an admiration for survivors of  sexual assault and domestic violence. Despite the horrendous physical and emotional violence victims experienced, most of the women and young girls I worked with were able to heal. The healing process was never easy, but with support they made it through. And that’s the key word – support.

Support can come in many forms including access to medical care, counseling services, and a safe place to call home. Without a support network, it is not easy to overcome the emotional and physical effects of violent crime.

Support The Girl Effect campaign and change lives.

///

Visit www.girleffect.org if you’d like to learn more about issues like human rights, education, child marriage, prostitution, philanthropy, entrepreneurship, micro-finance, and global poverty.

To learn more about The Girl Effect Blogging Campaign, click here.

• Nicky October 4, 2011, 6:59 am

What a wonderful thing you did, being a victim’s advocate. Although sad, I imagine it was tremendously rewarding to be able to help some women in that way. The Girl Effect is also a wonderful movement. I only heard about it yesterday, but also wanted to do my tiny bit. Thanks for sharing your story.

• Tammy Strobel October 5, 2011, 6:51 am

@Nicky – Yes, it was very rewarding work. Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

• Nissa October 4, 2011, 11:50 am

Tammy, thank you for all that you do and for letting me be a part of your journey. Your support was very important in my own healing journey, as you supported me in telling my experiences and being able to help educate others. You are very good at what you do. I will always be thankful for your support, kindness, understanding and friendship. ~Nissa

• Tammy Strobel October 5, 2011, 6:38 am

@Nissa – It’s great hearing from you! Thanks for the kind words. 🙂

• Jess B. October 4, 2011, 2:54 pm

You must be a strong person to be a victim’s advocate. What you do is incredibly admirable and you probably touched a lot of the women you helped. So glad a lot of them ended up in better situations, but we have to keep fighting for everyone to have the same basic human rights.

Great post!

• Joe3 October 4, 2011, 8:56 pm

Tammy, …..I work for a non profit and see victims of sexual abuse, domestic violence, and emotional abuse on a weekly basis. What I see as a need in the USA is : education – break the cycle – and even more important is SUPPORT – I frequently refer patients/clients/victims to our local shelter for support, BUT what seems to be lacking is long term support groups where victims can get to understand the whys of what happened, and start building self esteem and confidence, help to receive their GEDs, and/or job training.
    I think the Girl Effect movement may be a start, and I’m going to reserve judgement until I study it more. If you have more information about it please send me a follow up email off your blog. There is definitely a growing need for education and support, I wonder if it should start waaay before age 12?

• Tammy Strobel October 5, 2011, 6:44 am

@Joe3 – I agree with you. When I was a Victim Advocate I noticed the same trend. There wasn’t enough long-term support for victims to get out of an abusive situation. Part of the problem is money. There aren’t enough funds being devoted to long-term solutions.

I think The Girl Effect is a great start. I would encourage you to explore their website. Also, CALCASA is doing great work in the prevention field. The MyStrength campaign is really incredible.

• Karen October 4, 2011, 8:57 pm

I’m curious – did you find it easier to take care of and fight for others than to do the same for yourself?

• Tammy Strobel October 5, 2011, 6:45 am

@Karen – Sometimes. Although, the organizations I worked for emphasized the importance of self-care. If you’re not taking care of yourself, it’s impossible to do a good job as an advocate and be effective.