Motion and Stillness

Gneti, the puppy pictured above, knows how to balance motion and stillness. She runs, plays, bites ankles, and then collapses in her doggie bed when she’s all worn out. I need to take notes from Gneti. She has a zest for life and makes time for naps.

I’ve been paying close attention to the link between motion and stillness because I’ve been participating in The Photo Essay Project. Last week we concentrated on those concepts.

The focus of the week was serendipitous because I’ve been dealing with an injured knee. It’s the same knee I hurt when I was a competitive skier and after I ran my first marathon. I didn’t give myself enough time to recover and haven’t been able to run consistently since that race. I’m not sure how I hurt my knee again. I suspect that it was a combination of things like riding on a bike seat that was too low, walking in shoes that were uncomfortable, and my inability to be still. I kept cycling and walking too far, even though my knee felt like an overstretched rubber-band.

Do you notice a theme here? I have trouble slowing down and listening to my body.

When The Photo Essay Project started I had big plans. I planned on going for long photo walks across town, but my ability to travel far on foot is limited. The good news is, I’m actually listening to my body. Rather than pushing myself, I’m capturing photos in my apartment, neighborhood, and from my bike. In short, I’m moving slowly. As Bindu aptly noted, “Photography can be a vehicle in which we explore our lives.”

Taking photos is one way I observe motion and stillness. However, there are a few more practices that enable me to take notice of this theme, including:

Unplugging.
Meditating and doing yoga.
Single tasking.
Knitting.

How do you find a balance between stillness and motion?

Want to learn more about the photo essay project? Click here and consider following my progress. I don’t have an iPhone, so the photos for this project are being taken with my iPod Touch.

• Megyn @ Minimalist Mommi October 10, 2011, 11:44 am

Such a great reminder & post! For me, I have yet to find that balance. I’m like you and am always go, go GO! I’m now in a position where I HAVE to find that balance or else (like being hospitalized). I’m trying internet unplugging next week, so I’ll see how that goes. Otherwise, I have yoga and that’s about it! Single-tasking sounds intriguing, but I’m not sure if my ADHD self can handle much of that lol. Thanks for the suggestions and reminder 🙂

• Jessie October 10, 2011, 3:52 pm

Amen! Now I’m going to curl up with my book and my dog 🙂

• Caroline McGraw / A Wish Come Clear October 10, 2011, 4:03 pm

Just what I needed to read in this moment. After a day filled with motion and emotion (helping someone at L’Arche prepare for major surgery, which went well), I decided to stay home instead of going to my usual Monday night commitment. I felt a pang of guilt, but a stronger sense of rightness ~ that I was listening to my body’s need for rest. (A listening learned through not-listening, and the resulting pains!)

And it’s funny you mentioned uncomfortable shoes…I might need to give up on a certain pair. 😉

• Sunday October 10, 2011, 4:27 pm

I’m in love with this puppy!! What breed(s)?

I need to be still. I’ve been reading, but I think I also need to be crafty so I recently got out my tubs of fabric to start working on a new quilt 🙂

• Roberta October 10, 2011, 11:35 pm

I agree – Gneti is lovely, esp. this still photo. Occupational therapy tells us we need to have at least 5 hobbies. I don’t have that many but will start to learn to crochet and knit Sunday afternoons with a friend. Re: your tiny house – I am still working at reducing the excess in my home for some breathing space and to be able to rent out a wing :). Any renters need to LOVE dogs, though :).

• Thea | Write Change Grow October 11, 2011, 12:22 am

Gneti is a gorgeous puppy.
    Your post definitely hit a cord with me but probably for different reasons. I have just recovered from a bout of vertigo that had me examining the movements of my body (in particular the movement of my head) very closely. Not being able to do simple things like bending over to pat the cat or look down to wash the dishes without dizzy spells and nausea was an odd sensation.
    On a particularly bad day I had to still still for as long as possible just to start to feel okay again. It was weird being forced into stillness. Now that I am feeling good I can’t wait to get moving again but it has certainly made me aware of how movement can affect the body under certain circumstances.
    I hope that your knee is feeling better.
    Cheers
    Thea

• Andi October 12, 2011, 4:48 pm

Your tiny house is awesome and so is Gneti – do you know what breed or combination? Just curious – such a happy looking creature!

• Tammy Strobel October 12, 2011, 7:15 pm

@Andi – I don’t know breed Gneti is. She is a very happy creature. I get to hang out with her tomorrow night! 🙂

→ Next post: