Building Smalltopia: Shelves + The Kitchen

{Every Tuesday, I post a short essay or update about the little house we’re building. Enjoy!}

To your right, you’ll see a few shelves and the beginning of our very tiny kitchen! I’m super excited to display my diminutive library on those shelves and boil water for coffee on our tiny range.

In addition to the latest tiny house photos, I have a few big updates.

First off, we’re heading to Gig Harbor this weekend to see the house and talk about final design details with Katy. A few people have jokingly asked if we’ll be biking up to Gig Harbor. It’s a little far for a weekend ride, so we’ll be using ZipCar.

Second, friends offered to let us park the little house in their backyard for the winter. We will be paying rent, but it’s going to be less expensive than our current apartment. I’m excited to explore North Portland!

Finally, I talked to Katy last weekend and asked for an estimated completion date. To my surprise she said the house will be done by mid-October! My 33rd birthday is on November 6th, so moving into our tiny dwelling will be the perfect gift.

One of my articles, From Large to Little: My Tiny House Saga, was updated and syndicated on BlogHer. Check it out!

***

Wednesday’s letter is about vulnerably. Consider subscribing.

To get free blog updates subscribe here. Thanks for your support!

• Sunday September 20, 2011, 5:45 pm

congrats!! i’m so happy for you guys 🙂

• Sherri Dunham September 20, 2011, 5:47 pm

I’m amazed by how much storage you have in your tiny home’s kitchen. It looks like it really will feel large inside – as if you’re wearing it. So exciting! Looking forward to hearing about your continued progress on the tiny house front.

• Tammy Strobel September 20, 2011, 6:34 pm

@Sunday – Thanks! 🙂

@Sherri – Yes, it’s amazing! Katy is doing a great job. I can’t wait to see it in person this weekend. Thanks for stopping by.

• Chelsea September 20, 2011, 8:20 pm

Glad it all worked out to be in the city still in your tiny home. I live in North Portland and love the area. Lots of great small local businesses to explore. I hope you host an open house once your home is built. I’ve been thinking through designs for an accessible (single level living) tiny home and hope to build one day!

• Tammy Strobel September 21, 2011, 12:36 pm

@Chelsea – At this time, we won’t be giving pubic tours of the house. I love sharing on the web, but I don’t want folks to have my physical address. Also, I don’t think the homeowners would be cool with that either.

However, I might do one-on-one tours. Once we get settled in, let’s meet up for coffee and chat.

• Tess The Bold Life September 20, 2011, 10:00 pm

Hi Tammy,
    Wow what a great birthday gift. Congratulations on being syndicated on BlogHer. Thanks for being authentically you. It’s so exciting to watch you grow.

• anotherkindofdrew September 21, 2011, 4:02 am

Have y’all decided if y’all are going with cabinet doors or if you are going to go more of a “curtain” route or even just leaving that area exposed? I am often amazed at how the different cabinet fronts and options can truly open or close off an area in tiny houses.

• Tammy Strobel September 21, 2011, 12:31 pm

The table is actually going to cover those shelves. We’ll pull it down for work, eating, etc. and then put it up when it’s not in use. It should be a fantastic space saver.

Katy loves working on cabinets and has already planned out the design options for our closet and kitchen. 🙂

• traci sabia September 21, 2011, 4:44 am

i am looking forward to the final product and the excitement you are going to feel walking into the finished home when it is 100% complete. One question i have for you and logan, are you going to name your new tiny home? you both have to think of a funky name for the new addition to ur family.

• Tammy Strobel September 21, 2011, 12:32 pm

@Traci – LOL! We’ll probably name it Tiny. 🙂

• Cheryl September 21, 2011, 4:48 am

what a fabulous birthday present! Can’t wait to see it all finished!!

• TamV September 21, 2011, 6:00 am

Your house looks great!

• Natalie September 21, 2011, 9:58 am

Thank you for sharing your tiny home progress with us. It’s so cool to see your updates, and to know that your dream will soon become a reality. 🙂 Congrats!

• Sophia September 21, 2011, 11:11 am

I love your tiny house updates and I can’t think of a better birthday gift than to have cake in your new tiny house. Just perfect! Also, congrats on the BlogHer article.

• Jeff September 21, 2011, 11:56 am

This is really getting exciting!

Lookin’ good…!

• TamV September 21, 2011, 8:09 pm

Please keep posting pictures. I understand your desire for privacy and not wanting to host an open house, but we all would love to see the interior when it’s finished. It (and you) keeps us inspired!

• Frank September 22, 2011, 8:38 am

Its looking good! I’ve wanted to live in a tiny house ever since I heard about them. Looking forward to seeing more as things move along, and the finished product next month.