September Essays & Creative Prompt

{On the last day of every month, I post a round-up of the best essays I’ve read during the month. In addition, I include a creative prompt for your reflection.}

– Aging Gracefully by Deborah Willoughby

– On Creating Digital Sanctuary by Gwen Bell

– Breaking the Spell of Money by Scott Russell Sanders

– Alive Enough? with Sherry Turkle

– Minimalism: Essential Essays by Joshua Millburn and Ryan Nicodemus

– How to Be Beautiful edited by Thom Chambers

Creative Prompt

When and where do you get your best work done? Write, draw, paint, or photograph your response.

If you’re so inclined, share your reply in the comments section.

• Victoria September 30, 2011, 7:16 am

My most creative thoughts occur to me while I’m doing chores… scooping dung, scything grass, hauling water and grain up a steep valley hill, watching animals grazing.

But I don’t usually get to write them down until later in the day or evening. When I am able to stop what I’m doing and go write, it’s amazing how it will all flow out so easily. If I have to save it for later, it’s always more of a struggle to get it to flow again.

Muses do not usually wish to wait around for our schedules to open up!

• Tammy Strobel September 30, 2011, 7:25 am

@Victoria – Ohhh so true! Chris just wrote a great post about writing. I carry a notebook with me everywhere. Maybe you can start carrying a small notebook in your pocket? That way you can write down ideas when you’re doing chores. 🙂

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

• Frank September 30, 2011, 11:34 am

Second the pocket notebook idea. I’ve carried one for a couple months now and find it immensely useful.

• Mike Simmons September 30, 2011, 7:55 am

I have a sketchbook with me at all times. I keep them to the small size so I can stick it in a cargo pocket if need be, but typically I have some sort of shoulder bag with me. I jot in notes, ideas and drawings. It is a mish mosh of everything, but it helps me to ween through my creative spurts. Culling the good from the bad but giving them all a vehicle to get out.

I could get a sudden idea for a sculpture while having a coffee with friends or it may be weeks before I pull out my trusty sketchbook. I have no consistency in inspiration unfortunately. I do know the more I allow myself to be pulled into the minutia of the day to day grind, the less creative I become.

• Harold September 30, 2011, 1:08 pm

I have my best thoughts when I am walking the dog or out running, the only problem is that I forget them and loose the idea sometimes. I carry a small notebook, but sometimes you go so into the idea or the moment that you don’t write them down. You know that you had a great thought, but can’t quite put your finger on what it was – so frustrating. Oh well at least I’m still having those great thoughts and I am actually starting to remember some of them :-).

Harold

• Megyn @ Minimalist Mommi September 30, 2011, 7:33 pm

For me, I have a little thinking space. It’s a 12′ enclosed trampoline. I love to lay under the stars and just doze off in thought.